• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best options for a mid lengthto rifle length rail?

yocan

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2011
Detroit
Helping a friend build an ar, every part is coming except he wants a quad rail. Mid length gas system A2 front sight post. So I can go any of these ways, drop in quad rail, 9" free float, or FSB shave and a 10-12" FF, personally I like the shave and 10-12" FF the most (with a 10" could I just take the triangle off the FSB and leave the FSB intact?)

whats going to be a cost effective rail? I've got 4 days to figure this out, I'm watching the for sale section, used doesn't bother me, UTG is way too cheap. This isn't going to be a super high end rifle, but I'm trying to get him the best bang for his buck. I need suggestions, Hoping to top out at 150 but if a case can be made to go higher I'll consider it, no optics are going on this, but a bipod/light/VFG are probably going to happen.

Re: Best options for a mid lengthto rifle length rail?

Samson makes one that goes around the fsb... I've used it on a build once before for a midlength fsb gun and was very impressed with how sturdy/tight/f'n cool it was..
smile.gif

I know all about the ones that go around the FSB, and they are amazing but for cost purposes, those are not in the realm of practical due to price. a free float rail with a shave (I have all the stuff to do a shave) is much cheaper for about the same quality.and he's the type of guy that would think a mapgul front sight is cool

My 2 cents. I used my first UTG 13" quad rail for a customer and he loved it. In fact when I put it up in the shop I had three more orders at the end of the day. I was so surprised with the quad rail, it had a very nice fit and finish top it off with some ladder rail covers and call it a day. I build about 8 to 9 AR15 each month and about half of the people buying them cant spend 300 + on a rail. So get the next best thing, 13" UTG the new mod.

I will follow suit. I like the Daniel Defense followed by the Samson. Either one is pretty awesome! My 2 cents.

I really like the DD omega 9. It's solid and not too heavy. It's also 2 piece so you can install without removing the FSB. If you're trying to save money you can go with something cheaper but my vote is for the omega 9.

I may be in the minority. But I really think that Yankee Hill Machine offers great bang for the buck. Granted I'm not an operator, so who knows, UTG probably would serve my needs, but I refuse to support Chinese accessories on a U.S. weapon platform.

I find YHM offers good value for a US made product. I have both the Todd Jarrett and smooth free float tubes, and they are rock solid. They install like any other tube, they are virtually indestructible for my usage, and they are half the price of Daniel Defense. I do like the ability of the A2 sight to poke through on the Samson rail, but I really don't miss the sight that much on my builds. Plus it gives me an excuse to keep a dedicated M4gery and 20" in stock configuration...