• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best outside the waist belt holster for 1911

brutus1776

Minuteman
Jun 12, 2007
backcountry, TN line
whats the holster to get for every day carry of a 1911? i know its alot of personal preference, but would like to hear what other people are using.

Re: best outside the waist belt holster for 1911

Have been using a Galco for a few years with my Wilson CQB. I also have a Galco for my Browning Hi Power.

I like the shit out of my Hoffner hybrid, combines the wear of a custom handmade leather holster with a kydex spine for stiffness. And everyone likes more stiffness. Awesome holster and Brian is a class act.

IMG_20101124_193025.jpg

I used and liked a Kramer Belt Scabbard with my Desert Warrior.

Lately I've been carrying an M&P40 in a Sparks 55BN, one of those for a 1911 should be pretty good.

I have a Galco "Combat Master" OWB that I like, but it doesn't get used much since I prefer my Desantis "Cozy Partner" IWB.

Outside the waistband holsters are harder to conceal in jeans and a t-shirt. That's my standard off-duty wear.

You get what you pay for in holsters. Cheap holsters are....

Less inexpensive holsters are adequate for some but they are clearly not made as well as the higher end holsters. High end holsters will last forever and are worth the cost if you have the money for them.

Sparks, Kramer and TT Gunleather have done well by me.

pure kustom black ops if you want leather

comptac or bladetech for kydex

Fistinc.com leather with a kydex insert

I bought one for a govt model, one for a commander length from Ernie Hanson in Lincoln City, Oregon about 15-20 years ago. The commander length was used for daily duty carry for nearly 15 years, and is still my daily carry holster. The govt model size one has been used for all competition events from the wet weather in the northwest, to the desert around Las Vegas.

Both holsters are still going strong. The only thing I have done is use some shoe polish on them from time to time to shine them back up. Both are outside waist band holsters. I also bought a couple of uniform belt models with bird's beak release mechanisms.

I told Ernie that there is only one business model problem with his products. I buy one, and because they never wear out, I never have to buy another one...great for me, not so great for him selling holsters. He makes all different models from uniform carry, competition, inside or outside the pants..

Milt Sparks VM2 in Fall and winter and Milt Sparks SS2 in spring and summer in Texas.

Very comfortable if you carry a full size.

Jerry

It all boils down to personal preference. My brother recently got his Brigade leather holster for his 229. The thing is build like a tank, has excellent retention. It is a little pricey and the wait is long. But the quality is next to none. Each is hand maid, and guaranteed never to collapse. It is an IWB, but they do make outside.

I had a Raven Concealment for my G17 when I had it and loved it. It was the most comfortable holster I have ever had. Retention was good once on your side. It is interchangeable if you buy the attachments to make it an IWB. It only took 2 minutes to change it from IWB to OWB or vice versa. They make it so you can adjust your cant, and how high or low you want to carry the holster. They also make a light carrier model so you can have your weapon light on your sidearm at all times. The downside the the light compatible model is that you must always have your light on the pistol. Rides super tight and conceals extremely easy.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html
http://www.ravenconcealmentsystems.com/

Alessi CQC holster for my Ed Brown. Works great and the ability to remove the holster from my belt without taking off the belt is a big bonus!

Fit and finish are excellent, couldn't be happier!

Try out this new maker. Jason Winnie, Don Hume is his Grandfather. Does a great job and wide selection, all formed from actual firearms and very nice work. Made here in the Midwest, prices are about $65.
http://www.jasonwinnie.com

I have carried in a Mernickle PS-6 for some time now and find that it is the best concealment holster I have owned for a 1911 pistol. http://mernickleholsters.com/ps/bwcc_6a.html

I offset the weight of the pistol on my right hip with a Mernickle PS-23, double magazine holder.
http://mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps23.html

The Mernickle PS-6, along with the PS-23 double magazine holder, make for a very comfortable platform in which to carry the 1911 and two extra magazines. Not only is this a comfortable system, it makes concealing your pistol very easy, as long as you aren't too overweight.

Good Shooting,

Jim

Wilson Combat Tigershark. Really comfortable paddle style for full size and Commander length. I wish they made a smaller version for my Ultra CDP.

RT

I vote Bladetech as I feel it's marginally quicker on the draw. Nice when shooting drills.

I had a High Noon IWB made for my FN, I liked it so much I ordered a belt holster for my 1911.

Im also a fan of just about anything Fobus makes.

Before picking a holster, decide how you want to carry it, IWB, OWB, strong side, weak, small of back, etc etc. For concealment, bigger guys can get away with more, us smaller guys are more limited.

The good thing is, for 1911's, the world is your oyster when it comes to holsters.

Alessi CQC/S or 5 Shot Leather SAP

Basically the same holster by two of the top holster makers in the business.

I have been exceptionally pleased with the Milt-Sparks Axiom. It is comfortable, concealable and easy to remove should the need arise.
There is a belt holster (basically a leather loop in a belt) that I have seen advertised in the past that I have wanted to try however; have not been able to find

for OWB i use a blade-tech paddle style holster. but honestly most of the time i use my Tucker IWB