• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best overall complete lower?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    OK, so I'm thinking about getting a lower to have to try out some uppers on. I have a stock, so I would just need a complete lower with tube, but not necessarily with the actual stock.

I don't mind paying for quality, but I don't care to pay for brand name in this case. Can someone suggest the best complete lower for me.

"Best" is a very subjective question. I have been very happy with the KAC and LMT lowers I have purchased. Then again, someone else will have very different opinions.

I have 2 Mega, 1 Aero, 2 NoDak Spuds(retro build), 1 DPMS, 1 rock river, 1 armalite 1 Colt and 1 Stag Arms, they all work perfectly with any upper I put on, the only thing that really matters is the quality of the trigger you put in. the only brand that didn't work for me was olympic arms.
    you can spend $90 or $200 on a lower it is up to you but i wouldn't unless your ego has to have to expensive stuff,
    cheers.

The one with the best markings of course. Personally I favor the spikes calico jack and legion firearms razor laurels.

12302d1343544518-any-firearm-freaks-post-pics-calico-jack-lower.jpg

LF_Carousel-greatcover.png

I would probably be looking for a complete lower, so it would be WITH trigger assembly.

I know just the stripped lower is really subjective and some argue makes no difference. However trigger obviously does make a difference.... So that's what I'm asking advice for a complete lower.

I would probably be looking for a complete lower, so it would be WITH trigger assembly.

I know just the stripped lower is really subjective and some argue makes no difference. However trigger obviously does make a difference.... So that's what I'm asking advice for a complete lower.

I think given the criteria you put forth, it would leave me at a JP complete fire control package. However if one removes the trigger criteria, then I'd build a Palmetto State Armory "blem" lower with an AR Gold trigger. One of the best quality, least expensive lowers I know of, and you then have money left over for a way over priced but excellent trigger. My PSA lower fit the JP barrel ramps like a glove!! I have seen where this definitely was not the case, and feed ramp problems especially with a stainless barrel are to be avoided if at all possible.

Doc

Last edited:
    I have 2 Mega, 1 Aero, 2 NoDak Spuds(retro build), 1 DPMS, 1 rock river, 1 armalite 1 Colt and 1 Stag Arms, they all work perfectly with any upper I put on, the only thing that really matters is the quality of the trigger you put in. the only brand that didn't work for me was olympic arms.
    you can spend $90 or $200 on a lower it is up to you but i wouldn't unless your ego has to have to expensive stuff,
    cheers.
    This is really good advice, there aren't as many "manufacturers" as you may think, stamping/laser etching your logo-doesn't really make you a manufacturer. You'd be surprised how few real manufacturers there are, the advice regarding a high quality trigger is spot on, this is the best way to spend that "extra" money.

Ok so I think the best option would probably be to get something locally, to not pay a transfer fee and then get a good trigger kit. Anyone know how I can find a reasonably priced local deal? Big box stores don't sell lowers and other small shops I've thought of have either $200 stripped lowers or cheap plastic ones.

Also what trigger would you guys recommend? I would want one that's milspec, or for lack of better word, versatile (not just a lightweight match one). Not 100% on the use of this lower yet, but it definitely won't be for f class smooth ground type conditions....

Imo, I've always wondered why folks get wound up on expensive lowers, other than they want to spend money. If its spec, it will work fine. Uppers, thats where it makes the difference. Some of my best shooting rifles are done with Nodak spuds. No fancy billet lower, just in spec, and on the tight side of tolerances. Good upper to lower lock up. Tactical Machining also gets the nod. I just re read your post. You want a complete. Well, take this with a grain of salt, but its pretty simple to put a lower together with some basic tools and patience.

Honestly though, I would see if you can source a lower locally if the transfer is something you don't want to pay, but then build the rest to your spec. If you want one built to spec locally, my recommendation however would be to call Bruce at Mr. Silencer up and have him put one together as he has quality components in stock and will build it to your spec. He is also one of the good guys, no markups. He is my go to for all transfers, FN LE/MIL program sales, and all NFA items. PM me if you want his contact info.

You could always check Scottsdale Gun Club as they are closer to you or Pistol Parlor as both places routinely have lowers in stock.

Best overall complete factory lowers? LMT, BCM, or Seekins are my go to. I also like Mega products if you want to build it yourself.

I have a palmetto state armory with trigger ready to go. Stock, trigger, grip and all ready to go. Shoot me a PM for pics. Priced to sell.

Ok so I think the best option would probably be to get something locally, to not pay a transfer fee and then get a good trigger kit. Anyone know how I can find a reasonably priced local deal? Big box stores don't sell lowers and other small shops I've thought of have either $200 stripped lowers or cheap plastic ones.

Also what trigger would you guys recommend? I would want one that's milspec, or for lack of better word, versatile (not just a lightweight match one). Not 100% on the use of this lower yet, but it definitely won't be for f class smooth ground type conditions....

PSA stripped "blem" lower, $49.99. What ever "blem" means, I sure can't find it. Excellent fit with a JP upper. No slop, no need for shims, all the pins fit tight, great match up with the feed ramps of a JP upper. Why pay more??? Unless you just have to have some logo on it. Transfer fee... $20? These lowers may be inexpensive but they sure aren't "cheap!" My bud purchased 6 of these just before the the last fear buying frenzy. He made good money. I couldn't find even a mark on any of them.

Shopping Cart

Get a Mega stripped lower and add a Geissele SSA-E trigger. You can choose your stock, grip and other internals then. Several AR specific websites carry LPK without the FCG since most change those out first. That way you are not buying parts you will never use.

They are like Legos, easy to build. Get the tools and give it a try.

Once you move into quality lower receivers, they all function pretty much the same, given they have the same recoil system and trigger installed - with one notable exception. There are appearance differences galore, of course, as the above photos clearly demonstrate.

For my money, the best choice in a lower receiver is the Vltor with their patented A5 recoil system. The A5 recoil system was developed by Eric Kinsel when he was working for Vltor specifically for the USMC's interest in switching from a fixed stock to a collapsable stock for the M16A4. (A5 … Get it?!?) It is a collapsable stock system that will accept any mil-spec stock utilizing a rifle length recoil system and patented buffer with springs on either side of the buffer weight, designed to minimize both bolt bounce and felt recoil. While the buffer is the patented part, Eric told me the really big plus is going to the longer rifle length spring over the standard carbine spring. The rifle length springs, according to Eric, simply function better and last longer. The patented buffer - offered in five different weights to best suit your application - are just the icing on the cake.

So what about the lower, itself? It's pretty much a conventional forged lower with the following notable exceptions:

Monster mag release button. I'm surprised I like this so much!

Receiver end plate with three built in QD sling mounting points. Only the center one can be used unless you have hands the size of a baby.

Seven position stock tube.

Flared mag well.

Some cosmetic stuff on the front of the mag well.

The lower comes stock with a mil-spec trigger, A2 grip … and no stock. IMO, the trigger and grip need upgrading before any serious "testing" can be done effectively.

An example:

IMG_3595.JPG

^^^^ If their lowers are anything like their uppers, this one is a gem.

Build your own off of a Mega, Noveske GenII, Aero P., POF, Spikes, BCM, DD or ?? big name you want. From there add a POF, KAC or PWS receiver extension (research em and you'll understand why), Springco Blue spring, H2/ST-T2 type buffer. Add KNS Pins and a POF/WC TTU/LWRC? or tuned trigger (Actually the newer CMMG LPK triggers are pretty nice, unless I received some flukes), an ACS-L Stock or CTR or Larue??, complete it with a Magpul MIAD 1.1 grip.

For the LPK's - I've used most, and the newer CMMG's have fit very well with very crisp triggers compared to even the DD or Spikes….etc. LPKs from DD, LMT, Spikes etc are good, the RRA i've used have had very poor triggers but those were mid 2000 kits so????

All extremely easy to do and would be an excellent complete lower, IMO.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I haven't sorted through them all yet, but I will look at all the suggestions to try and make a decision.

Just throw out one more option and reiterate what was said above . . .

Here's a good option for affordable and decent quality ($160) - Lower is made by Aero Precision and is high quality, lower parts are of unknown quality, but likely function fine for an undetermined amount of time.
    Surplus Ammo and Arms AR15 Complete Lower with Collapsing Stock

In contrast, for a complete lower with known quality, you can't beat a LMT (mentioned above already) for $350, including stock. The BCM mentioned above is great but is more money with no stock.
    https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=124

I have a Colt LE 6920 M4 that I installed a SSA-E trigger and then added a WOA 18" varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist and had them flute the barrel for me. It is a great shooter and will shoot 5 shots less then 1/2" at 100 yds.

PS: By the way I love the color of your corvette. Here is my toy.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
      IMG_0362.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 9
    • Blue Beauty .jpg
      Blue Beauty .jpg
      22.4 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:
    A lower is a lower is a lower.........atleast when it comes to milspec cuts.

A handfull of companies make them for most of the names you mentioned. There is little difference from a cheap blem PSA to a virgin Colt or BCM.

With that being said, there are two companies who make IMO "The best". They are fully Ambi lowers that function flawlessly and have superb fit and finsh.

The first is KAC SR-15 and comes with the great KAC 2 Stage trigger. Used to cost around $750 for a built lower before they stopped selling them. Might be able to find a take off for around $1000. I have a few of them, and they are my prefered hosts to build on.

The other is AX556 lower. Fully ambi, but its billet. It will be a tad bit heavier and blocker, but they work great. Stripped they are around $400, so you are still looking at spending around $1k for similar features (LPK, trigger, RE, Buffer/Spring,Stock) for it to be fully built.

For most people, and unless your a lefty, your better off buying a PSA blem and building it up. For $125 or so, you can have a bunch of complete lower halfes to butcher to your hearts content.

Ok so I took the advice of many any bought a cheapie as a host for some future uppers.

Now comes the form 1 itch. What's the best way about doing this. Since it's a 1 time thing, I'm think I'm gonna go quality and go for something like an LMT. Should I just get it off line and then apply with a form 4 and get it engraved?

Consult with a lawyer and establish a trust. Since you will be taking a lower that isn't a factory built SBR lower, you will be doing a form 1. In a sense you are making your own SBR, and not buying a complete SBR. Form 4 is intended for factory SBRs, suppressors, etc. Fill out the application as the trust, and send in your $200 payment. Wait 5 million years for ATF to approve, in the mean time have your lower engraved with the trust's name, city and state. Once you have completely forgotten about it, you will receive your tax stamp for your SBR, and finally you can assemble your SBR. Make copies of tax stamp paperwork, so when the RO gets jumpy about your gun, you can shove that in his and/or her face.

There's also e-filing, which is much faster what I've heard, but not always online.

Consult with a lawyer and establish a trust. Since you will be taking a lower that isn't a factory built SBR lower, you will be doing a form 1. In a sense you are making your own SBR, and not buying a complete SBR. Form 4 is intended for factory SBRs, suppressors, etc. Fill out the application as the trust, and send in your $200 payment. Wait 5 million years for ATF to approve, in the mean time have your lower engraved with the trust's name, city and state. Once you have completely forgotten about it, you will receive your tax stamp for your SBR, and finally you can assemble your SBR. Make copies of tax stamp paperwork, so when the RO gets jumpy about your gun, you can shove that in his and/or her face.

There's also e-filing, which is much faster what I've heard, but not always online.

I have a trust for my suppressors. If I buy a lower already sbr, do I still need to do the engraving. I would rather not have to put my trust name onto a firearm lol

If it was a lower manufactured as an SBR you do NOT need to get it engraved.

100% correct. One item of note is that this would require a Form 4 via the paper route. Currently, Form 1 SBR applications can be submitted through the eForm process and I've read several reports of approvals in under 30 days going that route. Something else to think about.

100% correct. One item of note is that this would require a Form 4 via the paper route. Currently, Form 1 SBR applications can be submitted through the eForm process and I've read several reports of approvals in under 30 days going that route. Something else to think about.

Holy Crap, I gotta get on it asap then!! Anyone know who does engraving in Phoenix, AZ.

Last edited:
    Lowers are so easy to put together, I'm curious why you want to buy one complete? They are especially easy if you are using a drop in trigger...

With a few exceptions, looks are going to be the main difference especially on a mil-spec lower. The Noveske ten 2 lower won't accept all mags, so say away from that if you want to run a Surefire 60 or drum mag.

I got some spartan billed uppers for a hundo each from joeboboutfitters.Com, has some really nice features, permanent trigger guard, spring keeping little allen wrench nuts, nice mag well rails for a grabbin. But as others have said I have used many brands and including two that were polymer and never had plug and play problems with any upper. PA has b lemme she'd uppers for one ulyss s grant, and aero percision and several other brands are still under a hundo and will work fine.

Stuff my phone won't let me delete:
    nta aallen rwrenchesw

Thanks for all the help guys. I decided to go the way of buying a stripped lower like many recommended and building from there.

I actually ended up getting two from my local selection (I didn't want to deal with FFL transfer and fees for just a lower). I got a 'cheapie' spikes lower for one general build and one of the hellbreaker spikes lowers for a SBR build. It was damn expensive for a lower, but I thought it looked awesome and like nothing I have ever seen before, so I went for it.

Now I need to build a lower. I bought all the tools needed, but can anyone recommend exactly all the parts I need for the lower, or even better if it all comes in a kit. I want geissele triggers (ssa-e or better) for both, so the kit would have to come with both. Looks like PSA has something like it but Its out of stock HERE . Then I would also still need a stock kit and thats it I think?

Last edited:
    It would be wise to buy a bunch of anderson or similar lowers at $50/per while they are cheap and plentfull. Who knows that future holds.

Oh timelinex, check psa often thin go go back in stock often. Also sometimes it's better to have a few extra parts around. Once u start building ar's u won't ever stop, so u can get a lower kit with a mil spec trigger, and a match trigger and shelf the mil spec till its needed

Now I need to build a lower. I bought all the tools needed, but can anyone recommend exactly all the parts I need for the lower, or even better if it all comes in a kit. I want geissele triggers (ssa-e or better) for both, so the kit would have to come with both. Looks like PSA has something like it but Its out of stock HERE . Then I would also still need a stock kit and thats it I think?

I recommend the Cool Guy LPK kit from Weapon Outfitters. They use White Oak Armament kits (less trigger) and you can choose your choice of trigger and other components and save money by getting it in a bundle vs buying them individually.

Cool Guy LPK Kit

Cool Guy LPK Kit
    - WOA LPK, White Oak Armament Lower Parts Kit, No Trigger +$36.67
    - Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger +$209.30
    - Magpul MOE Trigger Guard (Black) +$7.74

<tbody>
    </tbody>

Total: $252.91

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-lower-receiver-parts/stocks-extension-assemblies/vltor-a5-seven-position-buffer-kit-bundle-page.html

VLTOR A5 SEVEN-POSITION BUFFER KIT
    - VLTOR A5 Seven Position Buffer Tube, aka Receiver Extension +$54.95
    - VLTOR A5 Spring and Buffer Kit +$56.95

Total: $111.90

<tbody>
    </tbody>

The last items you would need is a pistol grip and butt stock and those are personal preference. I just got the BCMGUNFIGHTER Grip Mod 3 and Magpul STR stock and am liking them so far for this rig.

mZtQL5w.jpg

The one with the best markings of course. Personally I favor the spikes calico jack and legion firearms razor laurels.

12302d1343544518-any-firearm-freaks-post-pics-calico-jack-lower.jpg

LF_Carousel-greatcover.png

Holy Mega lower receiver copy batman! I thought that looked sexy and then I realized why. Damn near twice as much as the mega lower too! Wonder if they are selling any?

Awesome, I will probably be doing this.

Thanks

I recommend the Cool Guy LPK kit from Weapon Outfitters. They use White Oak Armament kits (less trigger) and you can choose your choice of trigger and other components and save money by getting it in a bundle vs buying them individually.

Cool Guy LPK Kit

Cool Guy LPK Kit
    - WOA LPK, White Oak Armament Lower Parts Kit, No Trigger +$36.67
    - Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger +$209.30
    - Magpul MOE Trigger Guard (Black) +$7.74

<tbody>
    </tbody>

Total: $252.91

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-lower-receiver-parts/stocks-extension-assemblies/vltor-a5-seven-position-buffer-kit-bundle-page.html

VLTOR A5 SEVEN-POSITION BUFFER KIT
    - VLTOR A5 Seven Position Buffer Tube, aka Receiver Extension +$54.95
    - VLTOR A5 Spring and Buffer Kit +$56.95

Total: $111.90

<tbody>
    </tbody>

The last items you would need is a pistol grip and butt stock and those are personal preference. I just got the BCMGUNFIGHTER Grip Mod 3 and Magpul STR stock and am liking them so far for this rig.

mZtQL5w.jpg

I believe Red Barn Armory also does a build-your-own lower parts kit where you can swap in higher-end components. Just another option for you.

Alright guys, alot of trial and error, pricing things out based off suggestions, and I think I finally got it.

I have 2 lowers that I will be building.

1. 9" aac 300blk (I want a 8.2/8.5 noveske, but noone is in stock) SBR
    2. 5.56 16" of "lower" quality , that will be interchanged with other uppers as I go (I have a DD v1 as my 'nice' 5.56)

As I said before, this will be my first build and I already have 2 lower and the tools to put it all together.

1. 300blk SBR billet lower

MidwayUSA:
    9" AAC 300blk upper - $1080
    Magpul CTR - $60
    Colt H2 buffer (I read you need the h2 with the 9" AAC)- $40

PSA:
    PSA LPK-E - $220
    PSA premium 6 position buffer tube assembly - $40
    PSA Pistol buffer tube (temporary pistol solution while waiting for form 1) - $25

2. 16" 5.56 forged lower
    PSA:
    PSA LPK-E-$220
    PSA premium m4 stock kit - $50
    PSA premium 5.56 carbine length 1:7 upper - $250
    PSA premium full auto BCG with handle - $100
    Magpul MOE trigger gaurd - $8

I think thats everything I need right?? Any suggestions on changing things out?

Last edited:
    Might have found a noveske upper, so it will probably be that over the AAC

EDIT:
    Alright All ordered other than the sbr upper and the lpk with trigger. I am waiting for PSA to get their LPK-E package back in stock!

Last edited:
    If its not too late: I've found the PSA parts kits to be hit-or-miss when it comes to quality. So much so that I now completely avoid them. The last one (the "final straw") had several parts that were clearly out of spec including an extremely sloppy bolt catch. I now generally buy individual parts from https://dsgarms.com/ the quality of which has been consistently good. YMMV, of course.

If its not too late: I've found the PSA parts kits to be hit-or-miss when it comes to quality. So much so that I now completely avoid them. The last one (the "final straw") had several parts that were clearly out of spec including an extremely sloppy bolt catch. I now generally buy individual parts from https://dsgarms.com/ the quality of which has been consistently good. YMMV, of course.

I bought everything so far but the SBR upper and the parts kit with ssa-e trigger. I've usually only heard good things about their AR stuff. So your saying stay away from the lpk though?

Started reading through this. First the OP wanted the best. Then he was looking for the best price, local dealer etc. That is confusing the issue.

Some will shout the "gotta have the name" BS. But given the choice, they choose the good stuff if for any reason someone else is paying for it. I would say that no one I know no matter how much they protest, would choose PSA over Mega, Seekins or KAC if not paying for it. So, most objections to quality are based on price. Hard to admit for some.

BTW,
    KAC makes a great lower with ambi controls that I really like.