• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best pistol caliber carbine to suppress?

thorium

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
I want to buy a delayed blowback 9mm carbine/SBR/braced pistol.

Use:
primary range toy for Tactical practice using subsonic 9mm on steel,
secondarily should be reliable enough for home defense (but I use other firearms for that pistol, suppressed 11.5” AR, Benelli M4).

Most important to me:
  • good suppression, will run full time suppressed w/ Rex Silentium MG7 .358
  • smoothness of recoil (9mm shouldn’t recoil more than an AR
  • reliability
  • Budget not an issue, buy once cry once

Considering:
  • MP5 - still the king given these criteria?
  • CMMG banshee - combines the benefits of MP5 and AR?
  • Stribog SP9A3 - watching for more info on reliability/suppression/smoothness of this delayed blowback variant being released right now (~Jul 15).
  • BT APC9 - not a delayed blowback mechanism but if it can be as smooth recoiling and suppresses as well I’d be in given the Swiss pedigree and military adoption

Since you have an ar15, I would suggest 9mm in an ar15 platform for consistency. You can also get mag compat with your pistol.

MP-5 or MPX

my understanding is MPX has a great recoil impulse, but isn’t that great suppressed (gassy),what is your experience running MPX suppressed vs other delayed blowback actions?

I run a suppressed cmmg banshee with 147 grainers. Subsonic and stupid quiet The delayed blowback of the banshee running suppressed is strikingly different than my other DI ARs running cans. This has quickly turned into my favorite firearm and the ability to use most any AR parts and glock pattern mags is a huge plus IMO. Since getting it i rarely shoot mu 300 blackout.

I've heard nothing but good things from the B&T's...and considering they just won a military contract for SMG. They seem legit, and rock solid

Very happy with the CMMG system. I bought their 8" barrel/bolt combo. Recoil is very soft. Feels like half what a direct blowback has. Mine is also running on the edge of reliability though. I've got a pretty heavy buffer weight so it's only reliable with the can on. I could go lighter and get it to run without but no real reason to. I'm using a standard AR lower with the CMMG mags. Double stack so they are easy to load, and you can use normal AR mag pouches, etc. No complaints so far. If you go this route you def need to get an upper with an enlarged ejection port. They recommend it and I tried to get away without but had the occasional brass kicked back into the receiver. I milled it out and no more issues.

Attachments

• 20200614_203134.jpg
    20200614_203134.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 149
my understanding is MPX has a great recoil impulse, but isn’t that great suppressed (gassy),what is your experience running MPX suppressed vs other delayed blowback actions?

The ejection port is pretty small and I dont get a lot of gas in the face. Blow back guns like most of your AR-15 based versions have a lot of gas.

Having spent a fair amount of time on the MP5 and B&T, I'd have to say both suppress great. That said, B&T APC9/APC9K kill the MP5 in ergo's. Train on the B&T just once and you'll never want to touch another SMG. Seriously.

All things being equal, 9mm will always be quieter than .45. :)
SAMI specs:
9mm chamber pressure 35,001 psi
.45 ACP chamber pressure 21,000 psi

9mm starts out super sonic (unless you get sub rounds) for the most part.
.45 ACP is a subsonic round for the most part.

Google says:
9mm 159.7 db
45 ACP 157 db

How do you propose 9mm will be quieter?

If money is tight, the PSA 9mm AR pistol is a great deal; my buddy has one and the accuracy and function is first rate.
I have an Angstadt 9mm UDP9 and it has the same accuracy/functionality as the PSA, just a little better looking and cost me about $600 more than the PSA (in fairness the Angstadt came out before the PSA9 did).
You can build you own AR system; the Quarter Circle 10 lowers all take glock mags as the two above do.
CMMG is another option but I've sworn off CMMG after my first almost-purchase demonstrated a wobbling barrel-in-frame.

Then there are the HK, CZ and clone guns for alot more money... ergos may be a little better but the import rules and price have scared me off.

I reload all my own 147gr ammo and its subsonic in any platform. They all suppress equally well.

SAMI specs:

Google says:
9mm 159.7 db
45 ACP 157 db

“All things being equal”.... doubt he’s talking about factory rounds

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Isn’t that just an Even slower 40 SW?

ill be sticking with 9mm since I run that in every pistol other than one (1911), reload the most for it, etc.
I think it’s the other way around. .40 short & weak is 10mm for people who pee sitting down.

I think it’s the other way around. .40 short & weak is 10mm for people who pee sitting down.

what I mean is 10mm subsonic is short & weak-er, since many .40 SW loads are super sonic.
seems like 10mm subsonic is the polar opposite of the whole point of 10mm

what I mean is 10mm subsonic is short & weak-er, since many .40 SW loads are super sonic.
seems like 10mm subsonic is the polar opposite of the whole point of 10mm
40s&w usually pushes a 180gr ~1k fps. 10mm could do that with a 220-230gr or heavier bullet easily.

40s&w usually pushes a 180gr ~1k fps. 10mm could do that with a 220-230gr or heavier bullet easily.
Tell you what, loading .40 with 180s and mixed headstamp is tricky. I only load 165 RNFP because of the wiggle room you get with the extra case displacement. .40 SAAMI spec for 35,000 PSI, 10mm has more displacement and 37500 psi. With 180s in .40, you don’t need much overcharge or setback to create a dangerous condition.

that said, .40 loaded subsonic with 180s will be a lot safer and still provide better recoil than 9mm for reliable operation.

SAMI specs:

Google says:
9mm 159.7 db
45 ACP 157 db

9mm will be quieter than 45 at the same velocity. This is due to the smaller diameter bullet of the 9mm.

“All things being equal”.... doubt he’s talking about factory rounds

"All things being equal" means similar hosts and the same or similar cans. He's definitely talking factory 147gr 9mm vs factory 230gr .45, both readily available.

The fact that regular 147gr 9mm is quieter than .45, all things being equal, is not an area of debate for anyone with a clue.

It's obvious if you shoot them, and it's obvious if you look at any meter data or videos, why is this even a discussion here?

Last edited:
"All things being equal" means similar hosts and the same or similar cans. He's definitely talking factory 147gr 9mm vs factory 230gr .45, both readily available.

The fact that regular 147gr 9mm is quieter than .45, all things being equal, is not an area of debate for anyone with a clue.

It's obvious if you shoot them, and it's obvious if you look at any meter data or videos, why is this even a discussion here?

Maybe I worded that wrong... I'm on your side here lol.

Reactions: Gtscotty
MPX with trilug Adapter on .45 TiRant.

That's what I run.

Clean the tappet after every range trip and you'll be good.

Thats the weakspot imho of the mpx.