• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Piston AR for 3 gun???

Re: Best Piston AR for 3 gun???

I don't trust pistons yes. At the State Match in Kenai both guys running pistons had their guns go down. I ended up loaning them both my Noveske N4 to shoot the rest of the match with. Its my patrol rifle and back up three gun rifle. I run a Noveske Rogue Hunter. I got it right before the Noveske Three gun rifles came out.
NoveskeRogueHunter.jpg

Where in WA is there 3 gun?

MSTN.biz makes a great rifle as well. I have 2 KAC's that run excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't trust pistons yes. At the State Match in Kenai both guys running pistons had their guns go down. I ended up loaning them both my Noveske N4 to shoot the rest of the match with. </div></div>

That's like saying that, "I don't trust diesel engines yet. At the last commute, both guys running diesels had their trucks go down. I ended up loaning them both my '98 Chevy 350 to drive the rest of the commute."

smile.gif

Yes, the '98 Chevy 350 is one of the best engines ever made, but a diesel made by the right company is also an excellent engine. So, who made the piston rifles that you witnessed having issues? Not all pistons are created equal...much like you chose one of the best DI brands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipers28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where in WA is there 3 gun? </div></div>
This question is probably better asked at the SHWW Group.... see member link up... or hit the link in my sig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipers28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where in WA is there 3 gun? </div></div>
This question is probably better asked at the SHWW Group.... see member link up... or hit the link in my sig. </div></div>

Thanks Tribe! I will look forward to doing some shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't trust pistons yes. At the State Match in Kenai both guys running pistons had their guns go down. I ended up loaning them both my Noveske N4 to shoot the rest of the match with. </div></div>

That's like saying that, "I don't trust diesel engines yet. At the last commute, both guys running diesels had their trucks go down. I ended up loaning them both my '98 Chevy 350 to drive the rest of the commute."

smile.gif

Yes, the '98 Chevy 350 is one of the best engines ever made, but a diesel made by the right company is also an excellent engine. So, who made the piston rifles that you witnessed having issues? Not all pistons are created equal...much like you chose one of the best DI brands. </div></div>

I understand what you are saying but LWRC is considered one of the best piston brands and it broke the shield that retains the gas piston spring. Metal chips were all over the gun and it had to be pulled from the match. The POF stopped running and had to be pulled. Frankly I am not sold on piston guns at all not just from this experience either.
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There will definitely be a slight change in ready made 3 gun AR's this fall. We will be building one that is ready to go out of the box with tuned triggers, entirely new designed uppers and hand gaurds, premium barrels. Lots of input from top shooters in the game on this one. Will definitely be a fun project for sure.</div></div>

travis i swear you and glenn are just toying with me!!! i know for sure minimally chad and i would be interested in a fully NW built 3 gun ar.

thanks didn't mean to start a di vs piston debate.

No toying around Scott,

It will be unlike any other AR setup out there. And more importantly, it will run all the time, and shoot small little groups!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No toying around Scott,

It will be unlike any other AR setup out there. <span style="color: #FF0000">And more importantly, it will run all the time, and shoot small little groups!</span> </div></div>

HMMMM

Quoted for future references.

AlaskapopoI understand what you are saying but LWRC is considered one of the best piston brands and it broke the shield that retains the gas piston spring. Metal chips were all over the gun and it had to be pulled from the match. Pat [/quote said:
Sounds bad. I can see why you would be skeptical! Never had an issue with that on any of mine, but parts do fail sometimes. One failure doesn't indicate a systemic problem, but two pistons going down in a match would be pretty memorable, wouldn't it!
smile.gif
On the other hand, we watch DI guns go down during matches and we think nothing of it...because it's so common. Not necessarily a reason to avoid them altogether, though.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand what you are saying but LWRC is considered one of the best piston brands and it broke the shield that retains the gas piston spring. Metal chips were all over the gun and it had to be pulled from the match.
Pat </div></div>

Sounds bad. I can see why you would be skeptical! Never had an issue with that on any of mine, but parts do fail sometimes. One failure doesn't indicate a systemic problem, but two pistons going down in a match would be pretty memorable, wouldn't it!
smile.gif
On the other hand, we watch DI guns go down during matches and we think nothing of it...because it's so common. Not necessarily a reason to avoid them altogether, though.
wink.gif
</div></div>

With a DI gun if it goes down you ask a buddy if he has parts to fix it, and usually SOMEONE does. A piston gun breaks shit, and you are fucked unless you brought a repair kit of all the little parts, its harder to ask guys for part because every manufacturer has their own proprietary shit. THAT is my reason for keeping away from the piston guns in general. When piston guns are built to a central spec such as DI guns are, then I will think about a piston. I just hate the idea of not being able to go to a local shop and buy a part that broke like you can do on a DI gun.

That is why I like PWS. There is nothing to fail. Any thing that can break is normal AR parts. Their piston is rock solid. No springs or pins or other gadgets to fail. Plus... They just run.

I decided to play around with a piston gun but I ordered a kit from AA and a BCM upper. That way if I didn't like it i still had the parts to convert it back and it would only take a few minutes. But so far I like it and have converted two others. As for spare parts the only thing i have heard about breaking on the AA's is the springs but luckily the gun will still function with out either spring. I removed them and ran 200 rds just for a test. The rod is really the only thing that could break and completely shut it down so I purchased an extra but so far after 2300k rds fired in the first build it has been a waste of money but better safe than sorry.

I did do some research on the differant systems before I settled on the AA it seemed to be the simplest to install so consequently the easiest to remove. It is also one of the easiest to clean. Imho if you want a piston go with a kit and separate upper, I would also recommend the AA kit with the 1 piece bolt not a separate key they are prone to breaking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand what you are saying but LWRC is considered one of the best piston brands and it broke the shield that retains the gas piston spring. Metal chips were all over the gun and it had to be pulled from the match.
Pat </div></div>

smile.gif
wink.gif
</div></div>

With a DI gun if it goes down you ask a buddy if he has parts to fix it, and usually SOMEONE does. A piston gun breaks shit, and you are fucked unless you brought a repair kit of all the little parts, its harder to ask guys for part because every manufacturer has their own proprietary shit. THAT is my reason for keeping away from the piston guns in general. When piston guns are built to a central spec such as DI guns are, then I will think about a piston. I just hate the idea of not being able to go to a local shop and buy a part that broke like you can do on a DI gun. </div></div>

I hear you. Other than a piston return spring (which isn't necessary) and a piston cup, the spare parts for an LWRC are the same as your DI. It's prudent to take such things to a match for either platform.

For me the piston does not make sense. You can fire a DI gun for thousands of rounds without cleaning and it will still run so long as its lubed. In my opinion the piston concept is of little use outside of suppressors and full auto fire.
Pat