• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best place for MK262?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Needing to pull some data out of my Mk12Mod1 using the factory loaded MK262. I remember there were a few places (or people) that had it relatively cheaper than the $1+ per round youd normally find online.

Anyone know? Need maybe 100 rounds at first.

Needing to pull some data out of my Mk12Mod1 using the factory loaded MK262. I remember there were a few places (or people) that had it relatively cheaper than the $1+ per round youd normally find online.

Anyone know? Need maybe 100 rounds at first.

Even cheaper.

MK262

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato/-rifle-77grains-

I have had good results with the Magtech.

And no offense to anyone.. but the Fed Mk262 shown above ( and this was when it first came out ), blew primers in my Colt factory barrels... YMMV with current batches.

And just because... here is a bunch of chrono data from a 16" and 20" ... might help you out, might not.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/V...s-16-Middie-and-20-Rifle--223-5-56/16-676005/
    Blowing primers, good to know. Thanks.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato/-rifle-77grains-

I have had good results with the Magtech.

And no offense to anyone.. but the Fed Mk262 shown above ( and this was when it first came out ), blew primers in my Colt factory barrels... YMMV with current batches.

And just because... here is a bunch of chrono data from a 16" and 20" ... might help you out, might not.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/V...s-16-Middie-and-20-Rifle--223-5-56/16-676005/

What kind of Colt?

I have never had that issue and I have probably shot about 6k of that ammo

Blowing primers, good to know. Thanks.
    Again... YMMV , my Fed Mk262 was from the "first production" batches.

I would still give it a try, just don't order a bunch until you know for sure.

I might try to look up the invoice date...

Last edited:
    What kind of Colt?

I have never had that issue and I have probably shot about 6k of that ammo
    |

Late '80s HBAR Match. The barrel has a throat a mile deep ( Lol ) .... readily takes the "old" Federal 80gr factory single load ammo, with its 2.550 oal
    I haven't tried it since. Maybe I should order a few boxes of the current production to try again.

Pic of the old 80gr for those of you guys that haven't seen it...

76085.jpg

Holy carp, time flies... Nov. 2016 was when my order was placed.

200rd "case"

|

Late '80s HBAR Match. The barrel has a throat a mile deep ( Lol ) .... readily takes the "old" Federal 80gr factory single load ammo, with its 2.550 oal
    I haven't tried it since. Maybe I should order a few boxes of the current production to try again.

Pic of the old 80gr for those of you guys that haven't seen it...

76085.jpg

Interesting. I remember that ammo. A friend of mine used it a lot for a .223 bolt gun.

I only resently got into the Federal MC262 when i couldn't get the Black Hills or the Lake City stuff.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    Interesting. I remember that ammo. A friend of mine used it a lot for a .223 bolt gun.

I only resently got into the Federal MC262 when i couldn't get the Black Hills or the Lake City stuff.

How has the CBC / Magtech worked for you ? For that matter the IMI ?

The most precise 77gr SMK "factory load" I have ever fired was a load from Creedmoor Sports. Respectable velocities. Alas... they no longer produce it.

Hey man not sure if you’ve tried em yet, but Defender Ammunition Company makes a 77gr SMK that runs like a laser out of my LMT. They claim 2700fps with a 20”.

Definitely can’t beat the price either. I burned through 300rds and never had a problem. Definitely recommend giving them a try.

Reactions: Mr. Z
    How has the CBC / Magtech worked for you ? For that matter the IMI ?

The most precise 77gr SMK "factory load" I have ever fired was a load from Creedmoor Sports. Respectable velocities. Alas... they no longer produce it.

I have used the IMI and the Magtech ammo. Both are good ammo (not Black Hills level) but i have a bit better luck with the Magtech.

If you can’t find anything sub $1, the blackhills red box 77gr smk is like $1.02 a round and was running 2737fps avg over 20 shots through my 18” SPR. That’s basically mk262 velocities. Plus their 77gr TMK shoots to the same POI for me, and makes a super effective deer round.

For "precision" 556, all I shoot is IMI Mk262. Usually goes for about $0.62-0.68/rd from SGAmmo. Out of my 16" Rainier Arms Ultramatch, it's 2738 fps SD 13/ES 42 over 50 rounds. Groups about 0.7-0.9 MOA.

Reactions: deersniper
    I wouldn’t shoot the frontier anything. Reports of it blowing up in guns.
    I have shot a ton of the 55s and it is hot. But no blown guns or primers Or anything.
    I bought a couple cases early and the stuff was great. High velocity and superb accuracy. So I bought a *bunch* more. Of course it’s a different lot number and isn’t near as accurate. Aggravating

WOW!!!
    Is this MV for real?
    What barrel length?
    90725c45cfe4724618367954b325a0ee.jpg

Careful... numerous threads at AR15.com about Frontier ammo KaBooms.... "seems" to be a specific Lot #... but also seems to be with various bullet weights.

I’ve had great luck with the IMI 77 gr from my 18” Wilson combat bbl.

Groups nicely and get over 2800fps. Picked up several cases a few years ago.
    FC6CF8DB-65B8-4DFD-8EB5-317DA5981703.jpeg
    B931B3FB-393E-454E-B937-7CC9CB907744.jpeg
    D8E2AE86-7E38-451E-950E-ACB12F096BDF.jpeg

Reactions: nn8734
    Lot of different MK 262.
    Best for speed is the military issue stuff.
    All I have tried is good.

I got 2,770 fps average out of Frontier 75g BTHP with an SD of 16 for 5 rounds. Used magneto speed.

20" green mountain barrel, 1/8 twist.

Slower than advertised but shoots nice little groups. Just wish the pockets weren't crimped.

Careful... numerous threads at AR15.com about Frontier ammo KaBooms.... "seems" to be a specific Lot #... but also seems to be with various bullet weights.

Damn... good to know, I put a couple boxes of the frontier 68gr 5.56 thru my PRI MK12 w/ AEM suppressor... thank god it didn't blow that up. I'll be sticking with the Magtech 77gr stuff, shoots well enough for me.

I wouldn’t shoot the frontier anything. Reports of it blowing up in guns.

Second this...Frontier sucks; accuracy is shit and had pressure signs in both ARs. Had them both out same day...shot a box of 20 and that was it.

Glad my guns didn’t blow up; crazy.

WOW!!!
    Is this MV for real?
    What barrel length?
    90725c45cfe4724618367954b325a0ee.jpg

22" Kreiger, 223 CLE chamber been getting 2880-2904 FPS with the 75 gr hornady frontier.

The FC262 was good ammo while it lasted, seems it is no longer available.

Have shot a few thousand rounds of the magtec 77 and my rifle loves it. The lot to lot velocity seems to vary quite a bit.

I called Creedmoor as I liked their 77 SMK OTM. They said they switched to the TMK.
    That is ( Was ) an excellent precision 77gr round out of my rifles.... the TMK , is no where near as precise out of the same rifles..

BH red box.
    BH blue box
    BH GI brown box
    BH GI white box
    USGI Issue 262 out of Crane

22" Kreiger, 223 CLE chamber been getting 2880-2904 FPS with the 75 gr hornady frontier.

The FC262 was good ammo while it lasted, seems it is no longer available.

Have shot a few thousand rounds of the magtec 77 and my rifle loves it. The lot to lot velocity seems to vary quite a bit.
    is the brass usable after?

I haven’t seen pressure signs from the Frontier that I’ve used, but it has been really inconsistent. One box of 75’s would group nicely, and the next box would be all over the place.

Hey man not sure if you’ve tried em yet, but Defender Ammunition Company makes a 77gr SMK that runs like a laser out of my LMT. They claim 2700fps with a 20”.

Definitely can’t beat the price either. I burned through 300rds and never had a problem. Definitely recommend giving them a try.

I shot some of the defender in my 18” Seekins 3G2 and it was slower than IMI. I had a 2,655fps average, SD 23.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    They dont have any right now but Bone Frog Gun Club gets some in here and there and is the cheapest I have found. They dont get listed by the ammoseek type finders so you just have to check. Stock up when they have it. Small selection there but sometimes screaming deals when they get stuff.

Don't know anything about Prime Ammo, but you can buy Black Hill MK 262 for that price.

MM

No. You are going to have to take it off the bodies of UN Peacekeeper SDM's after the nuclear war with Russia.

Anyone else disturbed that what I just said stopped being batshit crazy this year?

No. You are going to have to take it off the bodies of UN Peacekeeper SDM's after the nuclear war with Russia.

Anyone else disturbed that what I just said stopped being batshit crazy this year?

Not to dismiss the severity of recent world events, but perhaps we can keep this thread on topic and leave the politics out, unless you ACTUALLY know of some bodies laden with MK262 like RIGHT this second… 😂

Last edited:
    Not to dismiss the severity of recent workd events, but perhaps we can keep this thread on topic and leave the politics out, unless you ACTUALLY know of some bodies laden with MK262 like RIGHT this second… 😂
    I think...I sorta wish anything I said was politics too. Cause then there would be a bigger wedge between it and where we are now.

That said you can use ammoseek to look for mk262 and maybe you get a hit and maybe not. I have been testing to see if my guns like 75 gr hornady frontier ammo because it performs a lot like mk262 and some guns like it well enough.

Many of my 18” guns crap the frontier out at 2750 or more. Pretty decent.

The other one that kicks ass here is hornady Superformance 556 75 gr. An 18” gun here the other day got 2875fps out of the superformance, but you pretty much have to build the gun to be able to shoot it.

Think Surefire OBC AND adjustable gas. And 1/8 twist only, not 1/9 or 1/7.