• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best powder for pushing 70gr plus .556/.223 .bullets at max velocity

Danoshoots.556

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2020
Alabama
I’ve been reloading since 1996 on a single stage press for my bolt hunting rifles. However I am new to the AR and .556/.223 reloading world. Don’t get me wrong my family and I shoot a lot of factory ammo in the 55 to 62 grain range but I’ve always just bought the ammo and saved the brass. I am now trying to load a hunting round for my son using 70 gr Speer gold dot. I want an accurate load with enough velocity to fully expand the bullet. I’m not asking for your pet loads although I’m not against you sharing. I’m aware every rifle is different and I always work up to the hotter loads while watching my cases. I’m just asking which powders you have had good luck with using the heavier grain .22 cal bullets.

I've always used 23.5gr of Varget with the HDY 75gr HPBT-Match. Best? Dunno, but it shoots great at 600yd F T/R for me out of a 24" barrel.

I'm adding 75gr Gold Dot to my lineup, same charge. Good for paper, but I'd keep the distance down to 200-250yd with deer.

I have the Mossberg 223 MVP Predator with Bushnell AR Drop Zone 223 BDC scope, and it's bang-on target with Federal Fusion MSR 62gr. If I were to go hunting with the 223, that would be my combo. The Speer .224 62gr Gold Dot is nearly identical to the Fusion bullet. 24.5gr to 24.9gr (Max) of Varget ought to get you to the same place.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Danoshoots.556
Thanks. I Will try it out when I can find some. I haven’t been able to find any Varget yet. A gentleman on YouTube was having good luck with 2000-MR I haven’t found that either. My local place had A 2230 and H 335 and that’s about it for .556.

Ramshot Tac is a good one for heavier bullets.
Less temp stable than Varget, but higher velocities
Thanks I will add it to my list. We hunt in AL so it can be from 30 to 80 degrees during our season but I’m not going to let him shoot over 100-125yds so maybe it won’t matter too much.

I've been loading for the 6.5 Grendel and have been having good results with IMR-8208XBR and W-748. The 748 charges are very close to Varget charges; start low, work up.

I've been reading the Speer manual a lot because my loads are being converted to Gold Dot for 223/5.56, 6.5G, 260 Rem, and .308. In nearly all instances, rifle velocities are tested in a 24" barrel, deduct about 20fps for inch shorter.

Greg

Last edited:
I'm working on building a Mk12 upper to sling some .223 out pretty far, this is good info. I have BL-2c, Varget and Tac Shot Ram. What would you guys recommend starting with? I'm in Colorado so weather temps can swing like crazy here.

My LR 223/5.56 rifles are a pair of identical Stag Model 6 Super Varminters 24" (current model is the 15 Varminter), as well as a Savage 11VT 24", the Mossberg 223 MVP 20", and a 16" 1:7" AR Stoner M4gery. They all seem to love the Gold Dot 62gr and 75gr (except the MVP, not enough twist for the 75).

Greg

My LR 223/5.56 rifles are a pair of identical Stag Model 6 Super Varminters 24" (current model is the 15 Varminter), as well as a Savage 11VT 24", the Mossberg 223 MVP 20", and a 16" 1:7" AR Stoner M4gery. They all seem to love the Gold Dot 62gr and 75gr (except the MVP, not enough twist for the 75).

Greg
We are shooting a 1:8 twist on two 16” and one 18” Barrels on our hunting guns.

24.8 AA2520 gets 77 gr pills singing 2757 FPS out of my 18” barrels. That is not max in my rifles however, but the accuracy is there. I am at 3000’ ASL, so my speeds maybe faster than yours if you are at lower elevation. 25.2 as mentioned above nets me 2805, but it is a bit spicy and in a scatter mode for my 18 inchers.

Reactions: GhostFace
24.8 AA2520 gets 77 gr pills singing 2757 FPS out of my 18” barrels. That is not max in my rifles however, but the accuracy is there. I am at 3000’ ASL, so my speeds maybe faster than yours if you are at lower elevation. 25.2 as mentioned above nets me 2805, but it is a bit spicy and in a scatter mode for my 18 inchers.
These are 75 gr Gold dots from ballistic gel fired from 2750 at muzzle. I was hoping to get at least 2650 out of my 16” or 18” barrels.
4CCC5BAB-DD35-4800-99F8-0CF3DC5E512D.jpeg

Reactions: Snuby642
Tac
W748
Varget

Easy goal to reach.

I concur with this list. I don’t think you can get enough Varget in the case with those long 75 gr Gold Dots however and get to 2750. 24.0 gr of Varget gets me 2600 FPS with 77 smk and it is compressed or very close to being compressed. I would add PP 2000 MR to the fold as well if high velocity is the goal. I have found the gold dots to be highly accurate bullets in all my rifles.

I concur with this list. I don’t think you can get enough Varget in the case with those long 75 gr Gold Dots however and get to 2750. 24.0 gr of Varget gets me 2600 FPS with 77 smk and it is compressed or very close to being compressed. I would add PP 2000 MR to the fold as well if high velocity is the goal. I have found the gold dots to be highly accurate bullets in all my rifles.
I just found some BL-C(2) on the shelf at Academy. I’ve never used it but Hodgdon shows it being used in 70 and 75 gr. .223

BL-C2 will get you there but it is VERY temp sensitive. You will want to work up a load in the highest temps you expect to shoot in and never leave your ammo in the sun or truck to get hot. Rule of thumb is ball powders get you high velocities, but are temp sensitive. A case as small as 223 makes it very hard to get speed some want with extruded powders, which are single based powders and less sensitive to temp changes. Small cut extruded powders like 8208 will get you the speeds you want, optimum temp stability, typically without super compressed loads.

BL-C2 will get you there but it is VERY temp sensitive. You will want to work up a load in the highest temps you expect to shoot in and never leave your ammo in the sun or truck to get hot. Rule of thumb is ball powders get you high velocities, but are temp sensitive. A case as small as 223 makes it very hard to get speed some want with extruded powders, which are single based powders and less sensitive to temp changes. Small cut extruded powders like 8208 will get you the speeds you want, optimum temp stability, typically without super compressed loads.
Very informative. Thank you. In the past I’ve mainly loaded for my two or three bolt deer guns with the same three powders IMR 4350 for 30-06 and 270 and IMR 4831 for my Magnums. This is a whole new world. I really appreciate the help.

Some folks have success with CFE 223 which I also find at Academy often. It will get you the speeds you want but is also a ball powder so take necessary precautions as mentioned above.

You do have to generally load a bit long with varget to get full speeds, most bolt actions hand that well.