• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Predator Hunting Caliber

BigTy313

BigTy
Minuteman
  • Dec 22, 2018
    MI
    I am considering building a 22-250, whats your opinion. Any input would be awesome!

Barrel:proof 18"
    Action: Bighorn Origin/TL3
    Stock: Manners T5A
    Trigger: trigger tech

Depends on your goals...

1. 22-250 excells at killing predators, with a vengeance. Probably the best Dead-Right-There cartridge available, which can be important, especially if you night hunt. I had one, and with 55 gr V-max it was an absolute lightning bolt. The downside was the carnage was sometimes severe. If you do this, I’d go with a fast twist barrel. Mine was a 1 in 14 that limited me to flat based 55’s, which really hurt long range ballistics. Also I’m guessing you will sacrifice a lot of velocity with only 18” barrel. Velocity is what makes 22-250 special. Mine shot 3650 FPS with a 26”.

2. If long range shots are a possibility, I’d step up to a 6mm such as 6 CM or 6XC. I have a 6xc, and I love it. Way better at distance than my 22-250, but pretty much the same or less fur carnage. Honestly I don’t see how you beat the 6mm’s on predators, unless you obsess over pelt damage. Mine pushes 107’s out of a suppressed 22” barrel at 3000ish. A 243 can be a good 6mm option, but if you plan to shoot long, high BC bullets, mag length will likely be a problem.

I'd say 22 Creedmoor over a 22-250 unless you have to have factory ammo. 6 Creedmoor would get my overall vote, though.

Picking up a 6 mm BR to supplement my 204 and 223 rifles. What will your expected shot distance be? The 22-250 should cover that.

Picking up a 6 mm BR to supplement my 204 and 223 rifles. What will your expected shot distance be? The 22-250 should cover that.

22-250 is the easy button for predators. Get a faster twist barrel to shoot higher bc bullets if you want less wind drift.

I have an AR in .223 for short engagements. My 6 BRA built in a Howa mini action should be coming soon. From Berger 87 to 109s I have some good choices. Its a fast twist 22" to run supppressed. I have a second barrel that is a 9 twist to shoot even lighter bullets.

Part of the beauty of the 22/250 is the slower twist to sling 45/55 grain bullets at lightning velocities keeping bullet drop to a minimum. Imo if predator hunting i would keep the slower more standard 22/250 twist rates and sling light weight pills out of it. You’ll never even have to use a holdover or dial a knob in the heat of the moment. Just point and shoot.

I'd say 22 Creedmoor over a 22-250 unless you have to have factory ammo. 6 Creedmoor would get my overall vote, though.
    I was considering the 22 Creedmoor, but I wanted a caliber that was still available on the shelf.

I think the 270 Winchester is a great predator round. It's capable of shooting various grain bullets well. You can buy that ammo (when ammo was available) at just about any gun shop. But it seems like these new, fancy dancy rounds are what's in fashion.

It amazes me how we killed these animals long before these 6 Creedmoor, 6.5 whatever, etc.

There's a balance to be had when it comes to coyote hunting. Are you hunting for fur? What is your typical shot distance?

I ran a 22-250 with 55gr ballistic tips for a number of years and killed lots of dogs. It was a laser to about 400 but after that it kind of lots its edge, although I did make kill shots out to 550, they were on calm days. Anything closer than 200 and it was starting to make a mess of the dog too.

Where I hunt, I can get shots easily out to 1000 so I wanted something a bit more. I now run a 6.5 creed shooting 130gr AR hybrids. It honestly does the same or less damage than the 22-250 did and It carries better for those dogs that hang up at 600+. My problem is that it's not super flat shooting.

For this reason, I'd go 6mm Creed and go 105 hybrids if I had to do it again. Either that or a fast twist 22 creed with heavies, but you said you want off the shelf so that's not really an option.

22-250 shooting varmint pills cause little to no pelt damage but knocks them in the dirt. It's not fun looking for a coyote in thick brush.

I've hunted with 243 calibers, they make a mess and sometimes you have to go look for them. 223 will do the job but more often than not, unless a head on shot, they will do the chase the tail spin and then take off for the weeds.

I always seem to come back to the 22-250 for coyotes, probably will stick with it unless I get the opportunity to go ELR.

Reactions: BigTy313
    There's a balance to be had when it comes to coyote hunting. Are you hunting for fur? What is your typical shot distance?

I ran a 22-250 with 55gr ballistic tips for a number of years and killed lots of dogs. It was a laser to about 400 but after that it kind of lots its edge, although I did make kill shots out to 550, they were on calm days. Anything closer than 200 and it was starting to make a mess of the dog too.

Where I hunt, I can get shots easily out to 1000 so I wanted something a bit more. I now run a 6.5 creed shooting 130gr AR hybrids. It honestly does the same or less damage than the 22-250 did and It carries better for those dogs that hang up at 600+. My problem is that it's not super flat shooting.

For this reason, I'd go 6mm Creed and go 105 hybrids if I had to do it again. Either that or a fast twist 22 creed with heavies, but you said you want off the shelf so that's not really an option.
    thank you, this is really good information for me.

I think the 270 Winchester is a great predator round. It's capable of shooting various grain bullets well. You can buy that ammo (when ammo was available) at just about any gun shop. But it seems like these new, fancy dancy rounds are what's in fashion.

It amazes me how we killed these animals long before these 6 Creedmoor, 6.5 whatever, etc.
    Not this shit again. Nobody is claiming a 270, 30-30, or any other round isn't capable of taking these types of animals. But there are better tools for the job now. You just recommended a long action cartridge that uses 50% more powder than anything listed here which would be using bullets that are way heavier than you need for a fox or coyote.

I agree that a 270 will work, but I am looking for something that will save the fur at least a little. I have shot coyotes with my 6.5 Creedmoor and that will even tear them up.

More than the caliber, it is the bullet. Some are much better at being fur friendly. You need to find the right combination of bullet and velocity. I love my 22-250, but any of the "tipped" exploding bullets do not do well on fur! It's fun to have bang flops and see the spray, but the fur is toast. I've had the best luck in my 22-250 with regular Sierra and Hornady 50 or 55gr soft points running around 3500-3600fps. Pencil in, usually dime or less out.

Reactions: CShooter92
    More than the caliber, it is the bullet. Some are much better at being fur friendly. You need to find the right combination of bullet and velocity. I love my 22-250, but any of the "tipped" exploding bullets do not do well on fur! It's fun to have bang flops and see the spray, but the fur is toast. I've had the best luck in my 22-250 with regular Sierra and Hornady 50 or 55gr soft points running around 3500-3600fps. Pencil in, usually dime or less out.
    Okay, this is supper helpful. I was even considering running a match style bullet to reduce expansion throughout.

204 ruger gets my nod. 32gr vmax at 4200 fps, 40gr at 3900 fps. You'll be pinning dogs like Lincoln Hawk in Over the Top!

I believe Berger released a 55gr pill for the 204, however you'd be defeating the purpose of the cartridge. I do feel the 22-250 has remained supreme for the reason that it's just plain good. You won't go wrong with it.

204 ruger gets my nod. 32gr vmax at 4200 fps, 40gr at 3900 fps. You'll be pinning dogs like Lincoln Hawk in Over the Top!

I believe Berger released a 55gr pill for the 204, however you'd be defeating the purpose of the cartridge. I do feel the 22-250 has remained supreme for the reason that it's just plain good. You won't go wrong with it.
    Thank you, this is why it is so hard to decide between calibers. Might just have to build both eventually.

I like 243 and 223. Depends how far you are shooting though.

Reactions: rope
    For a fur gun for coyote and fox and windy 300 yard or less 17 Rem especially in a AR, know lots of guys that run 20 cals. These do minimal fur damage (no bone hits) and kill like Thor’s hammer. Here in Alaska where we have wolves you can jump to bigger round, but most will use a fmj to preserve the $600 pelt. I would say 6mm fmj is the most common for the professional wolf hunters, they can still take lynx or fox without much needle work. I personally use the .17, .222, 243 and 6.5 cm. I have on shoot a few with the 6.5cm fmj it was fine but hit rib on the way out.

I like these new options for .22 with the heavies those looks promising as do the .25’s. Out on these frozen lakes and rivers the shots can get long. I may have missed but what your typical long shot?

Reactions: IowaGeologist
    I would like to mag feed. So lean more towards the 6 Creedmoor?

There is a 22 Creedmore also. Although, I went 22-250. ITs not a big problem in 5rd mags. Just something to think about. The 22 creed and 22-250 AI are almost identical.

22 gt seems to be an interesting choice now. Alpha has brass for it. Should be able to get plenty of speed out out a heavier grain bullet like the 80 plus grain Berger’s.

Anything 6mm that shoots the 87gr VMax or 88gr Berger Varminter.
    Fun for splattering, but not if you want to save the hide. I've shot dozens of coyotes with 75gr and 87gr Vmax bullets from a 243 and every exit hole was at least the size of a golf ball (mostly tennis ball or bigger).

75 Seirra HP is easier to keep from exiting in 6mm. I always had trouble with the 58Vmax blowing a huge entrance wound.

223 55gr vmax out of an 18inch barrel is my go to, drops them dead and doesn’t destroy the pelts. Have taken 50+ coyotes and a couple of bobcats. Head shot one of the cats at 220 and it didn’t ruin the pelt

Why not a bonded bullet so that it goes through the animal? If you're that interested in a pristine pelt, isn't a through and through shot the best?

My vote for bolt action would be .204, has always laid the hammer down on coyotes for me with 40gr vmax. The 32gr would splash bad if they hit bone, but the slower 40s haven't done that for me.

Put a 6mm ARC AR together for predator hunting and really like it. That would be (is) my choice if you go semi auto (always a plus when predator hunting).

Anything you can shoot well will work, but I have 3 calibers that are perfect at times.

Early season calling : 6x45 runs 58vmaxes at 3350fps. Great for any shot to 300yds. 65s at 3200fps work interchangeable.

Mid season/late season calling : after the snow and after coyotes have forgotten vehicles in fields isn't normal from the farmers, I will take either my 22 creed or 6 creed. 60vmaxes at 3700fps (running a fast powder) thru a 18" barrel is damn hard to beat, likewise my 6 creed in a 16" barrel runs a 65vmax at 3500fps. Near the same trajectory out to 400yds. Same powder in both. I have a custom .04 freebore reamer for the 6creed and a standard .08 freebore for the 22 creed. I run small primer starline brass for both too.

Those are serious powder burners tho, if i was to go after something from scratch, I'd look super hard at a short freebore 22 GT and 6 GT since I know I could run either at near the same speeds using less powder. And if I'm off by a 100fps with my guesstimate, I doubt a coyote would not know the difference.

my current rig is a gap bolt in 6 creed with thermal shooting 108 eldx match, i havent reloaded for it yet but i will i picked up the ammo when i bought the gun. i went back and forth wanting a semi after i got into the yote game between a 6 arc and 223 i went for the 223 most of my hunting in pa is short distances. i go back and forth to nd the 6 creed works but even their with thermal halo lr most of the shots were 100 to 300. before that i have a ruger am in 6.5 creed its my truck gun the scope is worth more than the rifle it stays in my truck and i have killed lots of them with it. is their a one best caliber i have 204s 17s 22-250s 243s also i guess its all up to you i am by no means good at this but i am sure having fun.

Polar bears are predators too. Do we have a general size limit on what you are shooting😁

• Haha
    Reactions: supercorndogs
    So you're going to shoot a fox with a 22-250 and only have an entry hole???

If you shoot the fox around here with a 22-250 you will have 3 or 4 pieces. I didn't see any previous mention of foxes. 22lr or 17 HMR for foxes.

204 Ruger. Fast flat and decent on fur. Not great in any wind at all.
    That is kinda what I am afraid of with a 204 Ruger. I want something that is flat and can stand up to some wind as well that is why I was thinking a 22-250 or a 6mm

FWIW the 223 with a 1:8 twist is hard to beat.
    I usually run a 14.5-16” AR15 but have been toying with the idea of a 223 tikka T3 stainless varmint (1:8 twist)

super handy and works well.
    Have taken a bunch of yotes with it.

Ideally I would love a 12” SBR in 6.8 SPC with a YHM resonator K. Super compact rig would be handy at night and in the brush

Ive shot lots of DTACs through .243 Win. They buck the wind pretty good. Taken a few coyotes and quite a few deer with them. Never lost a deer but had a few coyotes run off and likely die somewhere. Hard to have one gun to do it all.