• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing best rate of twist in .223 for long range coyote h

Re: best rate of twist in .223 for long range coyote h

The 223 in any twist rate would work fine, just make sure you pick your bullets to match the twist weight.

Coyotes don't need heavy bullets, they need accurate bullets.

I've shot several with 32 grn 204 Ruger bullets, never had one that was hit, run off, nor did they require a second hit.

7 twist to run up to 80's
8 twist to run 75's
9 twist to run 69's (some might stabilize the 75gr AMAX)

Those are twist rates to be on the safe side

69grn mk over 26grns of varget is my go to coyote load.

Oh, and that was in a ar with a 9 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">69grn mk over 26grns of varget is my go to coyote load. </div></div>
very close to what i'm running... 1-8twst using the 69smks... lays a nice little thump on them dogs.

The 69mk in my .223AI AR is even better @3140mv. It also is a 9 twist.

My next 223 will be a 7.5 twist for the 80 amax and likely of AI chambering.

I believe Rem 700 police .223s are 1/9 twist. I havent had a chance to verify this on my gun yet.

Yes you are correct. If you want to run heavies, your best bet with the 1/9 will be the 75 AMAX like JCH mentioned. However, it is not necessary. Find what works best for you and your rifle, and its sure to work on a song dog.

My coyote rig is a Sabre Defense with a heavy 24" barrel, 8 twist. It shoots lights out with a 75 gr Hornady BTHP match. The Hornady factory offerings with this bullet shoot great also, whether it's the TAP version or the Hornady match loads.

Here's a pic where gun is set-up for night work.
241.jpg

Shot the rem 700 .223 today. Shot Fed 55 gr fmj, 1.5+ at 100 yards. Mil green tip, worse. Hornady Vmax 53 grain. sub moa.

CIMG2844.jpg