• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best reasonably priced 223 bolt gun.

Bird of Prey

Private
Minuteman
I'm looking to pick-up an accurate bolt gun in .223 that won't break the bank. I was looking at a Sako A7 Varmint last night at the new Cabela's in Delaware. I'm a big fan of Sako rifles and, for only $1,050, I really liked this little gun. The only problem is it has a 1/10" twist barrel, which I just don't think will work well with the 69 or 77 grain bullets I expect to load.

I'd like to stay under $1,000, but I'm certainly flexible if I need to be. I plan to look at the Weatherby/Howa and the Rem 700 variants, but I'd really appreciate any other ideas or suggestions you might have. Best accuracy within my budget is the most important criteria.

Many thanks in advance.

The Tikka T3 is offered with a 1/8 twist barrel and may be your best choice for heavier bullets.

Howa and the similar Weatherby Vanguard are very nice rifles, but in .223 have a 1/12 twist (or apparently 1/14 for the varmint model Vanguard), which is a bummer. Most Remington and Savage options are 1/9, but the Savage F-TR rifle is offered with a 1/7.

I'm looking to pick-up an accurate bolt gun in .223 that won't break the bank. I was looking at a Sako A7 Varmint last night at the new Cabela's in Delaware. I'm a big fan of Sako rifles and, for only $1,050, I really liked this little gun. The only problem is it has a 1/10" twist barrel, which I just don't think will work well with the 69 or 77 grain bullets I expect to load.

I'd like to stay under $1,000, but I'm certainly flexible if I need to be. I plan to look at the Weatherby/Howa and the Rem 700 variants, but I'd really appreciate any other ideas or suggestions you might have. Best accuracy within my budget is the most important criteria.

Many thanks in advance.

Since you like Sako's take a hard look at the tikka varmint

Many thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum. Savage is what I was looking for, but you might want to hit X-Ring, on 273, just east of Newark, and look at the Rock River Heavy stainless barrel AR, they have. Priced at $1050. I have the Stag version, and it shoots better that my Remmy 700, in 223. Plus it's a semi, which gives more fun points. It's been there a while, and they dropped the price. Rock River makes nice guns. I "changed my mind", on another 223, and am going for a 22-250 Savage. Special factory order in 1-7, or 1-8. Haven't decided, yet. So where do ya shoot, neighbor. I go to SCC Sportsman's Ass., out on 926.

Might want to look at the Mossberg MVP. Cheap and accurate AND accepts AR mags. They have a few different models as well.

Tikka T3 with 1:8 is the ticket. Smoothest action, super accurate, super light. Think they are around $550 in blue $650 stainless.

Lots of choices. Much depends on what you want to do and whether you plan on reloading. I enjoy shooting prairie dogs and shoot a .220 swift. It's very much like a 22-250 and shoots 52g bullets with a 1:14 twist barrel really fast. Remington 40x with a 27" barrel. So if I think the critter is at 400- 425 yards, but aren't sure of the distance, I have better success with that than with a .223 round. I bought a Savage bolt 26" in .223 as a backup - that ended up being a nice gun but it's not as competitive. Thinking I wanted a semi for this I bought a Bushmaster Varminter w/24". Again, it's not as accurate, so I probably won't use it as often.

I shoot solo and with groups, so the fun competitive nature wants to grab the best gun for the task. My friends shoot 22-250's, that's a great caliber if you want an accurate bolt. Unlike 220 swift, 22-250 brass and ammunition is plentiful. As for .223, and under $1000, I do like the accutrigger on my Savage. Keep in mind, rings and glass will cost again as much as the gun.

Welcome to the forum. Savage is what I was looking for, but you might want to hit X-Ring, on 273, just east of Newark, and look at the Rock River Heavy stainless barrel AR, they have. Priced at $1050. I have the Stag version, and it shoots better that my Remmy 700, in 223. Plus it's a semi, which gives more fun points. It's been there a while, and they dropped the price. Rock River makes nice guns. I "changed my mind", on another 223, and am going for a 22-250 Savage. Special factory order in 1-7, or 1-8. Haven't decided, yet. So where do ya shoot, neighbor. I go to SCC Sportsman's Ass., out on 926.

Hi Josh. Where are you in Delaware? I shoot at Atglen SC. I'd love to join SCCSA (it's 10 minutes from my home), but they were not taking new members when I last checked. I have the AR end of things well in hand and I'm specifically looking for a 223 bolt gun.

Lots of choices. Much depends on what you want to do and whether you plan on reloading. I enjoy shooting prairie dogs and shoot a .220 swift. It's very much like a 22-250 and shoots 52g bullets with a 1:14 twist barrel really fast. Remington 40x with a 27" barrel. So if I think the critter is at 400- 425 yards, but aren't sure of the distance, I have better success with that than with a .223 round. I bought a Savage bolt 26" in .223 as a backup - that ended up being a nice gun but it's not as competitive. Thinking I wanted a semi for this I bought a Bushmaster Varminter w/24". Again, it's not as accurate, so I probably won't use it as often.

I shoot solo and with groups, so the fun competitive nature wants to grab the best gun for the task. My friends shoot 22-250's, that's a great caliber if you want an accurate bolt. Unlike 220 swift, 22-250 brass and ammunition is plentiful. As for .223, and under $1000, I do like the accutrigger on my Savage. Keep in mind, rings and glass will cost again as much as the gun.

Thank you. Definitely looking for a 223 and I will reload. Agreed on the glass.

As someone else pointed out the weatherby vanguards are very nice and stupid accurate. They are now making some models with a 1:9 twist too. I just sold my two tikka T3's and will never own another. The Sako is a decent price for what you get but you'll pay out the ass for magazines with a Sako.

Hey, BOPrey. When I tried to get in, at Atglen, they had a 2 yr waiting list, so I went to SCCS Ass. Got right in, but that was a few years ago. Does Atglen have their thousand yd. range back up and running? Rumor was they shut it down, cause some 50 cal. guys were hittin the high power lines. We should get together and shoot. I can take a guest 3 times, before they "have to join", but last time I talked to the secretary that handles it, she told me "She does'nt really keep track of it" SSSHHHHHHH!!! Anyway, I,m down off 52, just into De. I started the 223 bolt gun hunt last spring. Got a Remmy 700 SS 5R, off the sale board here. It shoots OK, but not a laser. I expected better, as my 308s shoot great. I had the Stag, and did load workups, for both, together. The Stag out shoots the Remmy. You could think about an upper, and save some cash for glass. Be warned, as they ARE heavy! I was in Millers, and saw a browning X-bolt Varmint Special Limited Run, in 10 twist. Bought it, cause she "whispered in my ear". I'm waiting for a scope for it, but I still wanted to try a Savage. Then I asked a few questions about 22-250, and I'm going for that now, just to see what a Savage can do. I looked at the Mossberg MVP at Millers, along side the Browning. I got the browning. The Mossberg had a pencil barrel on it, and "felt cheap". It was 300 cheaper, but I want one to shoot a lot, and the thin barrel turned me off. Took a look at the Tikka , at Europtic, but the 223s were $1500. Haven't hit Cabelas, yet. I'm waiting for the crowds to go away. NEW store, and all. None of the "de. stores", had any other 223 bolts, all the way down to Lewes, although I had to bypass Dover, cause I had wifey in the car with 4 dogs. I'm gonna play with what I have, for now, and let the bank acc. recharge, unless something pops up. Check the sales, here, or the web. I'll be talking to ya. I've got another guy that wants to shoot. You might have read about him, in the paper. He hired my lawyer friend, and ended the "Shooting laws" the county was trying to enforce, unconstitutionally. We'll make a day of it. I'm retired, so I have an open schedule.

Josh-

Sounds like you have a firearms accumulation disease like me. I'd love to shoot with you some time. I'd also like to see if I can join SCCSA. I'll shoot more with a range that close to me. Atglen's upper range goes out to 500m. I'll send you a PM with my contact info. I think you're now safe to go to the new Cabela's, but I will only go on weeknights if want to spend any time at the gun counter.

Get an older Rem700. Excellent rifle. Better, get a Rem 700 action and re-barrel it. Under $1K easy.

I just bought a NIB Rem 700 SPS Tactical off Gunbroker for $605 yesterday. A couple days ago I bought a Manners stock with DBM off the classifieds here for $620. After selling the factory stock, I should have the makings of a very nice rifle for very close to what you want to spend. You can find the rifle cheaper, but I was impatient and they're out of stock most places due to Remington's trigger recall. The plan is to run it as-is for a while, then set the factory barrel back and rechamber in .223AI. Maybe a nice stainless barrel later if that doesn't shoot the way I want it to.

Last edited:
Josh-

Sounds like you have a firearms accumulation disease like me. I'd love to shoot with you some time. I'd also like to see if I can join SCCSA. I'll shoot more with a range that close to me. Atglen's upper range goes out to 500m. I'll send you a PM with my contact info. I think you're now safe to go to the new Cabela's, but I will only go on weeknights if want to spend any time at the gun counter.

Sounds good. Let's shoot .I'll call ya. How's your scheduling ? Weekdays are best, at the range, except "Full-Auto Wednesday". Sometimes it gets a little loud, but great to watch. Otherwise, it's pretty deserted. And by the way, I've got that disease. I'm not really safe, at any gun counter.PS The 2 posts above me, are good thoughts. That browning I got will shoot 55s, for a while, then get a 1-7 or 8 twist bbl.

Last edited:
Really too bad Sako/Tikka switched from 1:8 to 1:10 for 223s...though I think 1:10 should work with 69s.

I know it isn't popular recommendation (especially for somebody considering a Sako) but I had a 12FV dropped into a B&C A2 Medalist that was a legit half-MOA shooter at 200yd with the 75gr HPBT and 24.0gr Varget.

I get very good results with my savage fcp-k in 223. I shoot pretty much whatever 69 or 68 grain bullets I can find. Haven't tried heavier as I dont like pushing my brass hard.

I just bought a NIB Rem 700 SPS Tactical off Gunbroker for $605 yesterday. A couple days ago I bought a Manners stock with DBM off the classifieds here for $620. After selling the factory stock, I should have the makings of a very nice rifle for very close to what you want to spend. You can find the rifle cheaper, but I was impatient and they're out of stock most places due to Remington's trigger recall. The plan is to run it as-is for a while, then set the factory barrel back and rechamber in .223AI. Maybe a nice stainless barrel later if that doesn't shoot the way I want it to.

And its still a shitty factory 700, no offense.

The tikka has an action that is already true (or does not need it) and has a MUCH high quality barrel. The tikka factory stock while not pretty, is also perfectly servicable and is not tupperware shit like the sps. It also has a great factory trigger. Sticking a SPS into an expensive chassis/stock is like putting a 400 pound Dependapadpus into a Size 2 Gucci Dress.

I would wait for the .223 CTR to come out. Those rifles are going to own that market segment........atleast to the people who have IQ above room temp.

Last edited:
And its still a shitty factory 700, no offense.

The tikka has an action that is already true (or does not need it) and has a MUCH high quality barrel. The tikka factory stock while not pretty, is also perfectly servicable and is not tupperware shit like the sps. It also has a great factory trigger. Sticking a SPS into an expensive chassis/stock is like putting a 400 pound Dependapadpus into a Size 2 Gucci Dress.

I would wait for the .223 CTR to come out. Those rifles are going to own that market segment........atleast to the people who have IQ above room temp.

Tell me a little more about the 223 CTR. I'm not familiar with it.

And as long as he's happy with the factory setup and the limited aftermarket support he'll be fine. Tikka makes a great rifle, and I'm sure we'll start seeing more of them eventually, but there are still limitations.

I sold my Rem 700 .308 this past weekend, and decided I wanted a .223 trainer to replace it RIGHT NOW. And I should be getting a Sentinel for my Badger action rifle from Terry this month, so I wanted it in a quality thumbhole stock. I found and bought the rifle in a day, and picked a stock from the available ones in the EE. If i decide to make it even closer to my match rifle i have the option to buy a Sentinel for the Rem, not so with the Tikka. Check the EE for whichever stock you fancy for the Tikka and for the 700, guess which one you're more likely to find a deal on. Next week I'll be shooting.

And when my rifle ADD sets in and I sell this rifle in a couple years, I'll have a larger pool of potential customers. I expect I'll turn a profit on it as well, same as the last two.

The Tikka is a great rifle no doubt and is superior to the Remington in some ways, but everything is a tradeoff. If it weren't, everyone on this site would be shooting the same rifle. The tikka obviously fits your needs perfectly, but not everyone's. Not even those of the majority.

Last edited:
Tikka's website does not show the CTR in 223, but rather "only" 260 and 308.

Even if they did make the CTR in 223...wouldn't it have the newer 1:10 twist?

EDIT: I'm referring to new manufacture rifles going forward, not new old stock from the previous CTR line which was 223/308s.

Last edited:
The Tikka T3 is offered with a 1/8 twist barrel and may be your best choice for heavier bullets.

Howa and the similar Weatherby Vanguard are very nice rifles, but in .223 have a 1/12 twist (or apparently 1/14 for the varmint model Vanguard), which is a bummer. Most Remington and Savage options are 1/9, but the Savage F-TR rifle is offered with a 1/7.

I got a Howa 1500 targetmaster about a year ago. I finally contacted Legacy due to all the different information I was finding on barrel twist. I sent a email w/ serial and received a reply that is was a 1:9. I love the gun shoots very nice, but have yet to try the heavier bullets after finding out about the 1:9. Like it so much I got one in .308.

I purchased a used LNIB Tikka 223 1:8 Scout CTR off of GB several months back for $800 couldn't tell it wasn't new even had the factory box and papers. Put a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44mm w/G2DMR reticle on it great little rifle we have really enjoyed it.

I have a Savage Model 12 LPVDBM in 22-250. It is a tack driver right out of the box. I found the right reload for it. Got it on clearance for $850. Absolutely love the rifle. I've heard their 223's are also very accurate. They offer various twist rates for the 223.

We run T3's in 8 twist. Very accurate but next additional buy is X Bolt because of the the short action.Used to run an A Bolt.Browning has a few clues that mimics the Sako Vixen.