• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best reloading powder?

That's what I was told today unfortunately.
Looking to get into reloading.

Any advice on what the best powder would be would be much appreciated.
Thanks. Tommy.

Baby powder.

Everyone uses it. It gives max velocity, accuracy and zero pressure.

Doesnt matter what cartridge or whether you are loading for rifle, pistol, shotgun or cannon.

Last edited:
Reactions: waveslayer
@Tommy38 you will need to be a lot, I mean a lot more specific. See above, you might get a lot of slack. Ha ha, but all in good humor

Reactions: Earnhardt
personally for my 6.5 I love rl 17 even more than 4350 more punch for the powder use sadly both are pretty hard to find thank god imr 4350 works well needing less powder to get the same speeds as h4350 Imr 4451 is great at my self imposed limit of 42gr at least it does for me aa 4350 , 6.5 stabal , n555 while all shoot pretty nice groups it takes a bit more powder to get to what I want it at at slower speeds there are good almost great results to be had sadly superformance I don't see it getting me where i want to be till way after my limit of 42.gr as hodgon it's self published data over 34gr still not hitting my speed marks I will be trying it soon as I just found yesterday a shop selling it for 30.92 being way less than the 70 +MD TAX.for what ever I just found a bit of h4350 . Id still love to find rl17 or 16 I keep hearing it could be found in pa but I have not seen it best of luck to you finding your powder it's only going to keep getting harder to find .

I guess many would answer cocaine, but are too ashamed to strike the first blow.
Anyway in order to answer that specific question, the debate 6.5 creed vs. 260 rem has sto be wholehartedly agreeed upon, while thousands of antelopes finish all the popcorn ever produced.

B4860E03-557E-4D8B-9898-51524FEC10A8.jpeg

Reactions: giumau1
personally for my 6.5 I love rl 17 even more than 4350 more punch for the powder use sadly both are pretty hard to find thank god imr 4350 works well needing less powder to get the same speeds as h4350 Imr 4451 is great at my self imposed limit of 42gr at least it does for me aa 4350 , 6.5 stabal , n555 while all shoot pretty nice groups it takes a bit more powder to get to what I want it at at slower speeds there are good almost great results to be had sadly superformance I don't see it getting me where i want to be till way after my limit of 42.gr as hodgon it's self published data over 34gr still not hitting my speed marks I will be trying it soon as I just found yesterday a shop selling it for 30.92 being way less than the 70 +MD TAX.for what ever I just found a bit of h4350 . Id still love to find rl17 or 16 I keep hearing it could be found in pa but I have not seen it best of luck to you finding your powder it's only going to keep getting harder to find .
During RonaDays I ran out of Varget and others, happened to have an 8 pounder of Superperformance, can't remember why.......I find it does fairly decently in my RPR 6.5.

Cartridges seem to be slowly making a comeback on the shelves and on the net, but powders are still scarce as an honest politician.

I’m kinda partial to that which is black in color and goes bang when I yank on the trigger.

Now if this is a serious inquiry. The best powder is the powder that gives excellent velocity, yields outstanding accuracy and stays well within pressure limits in your firearm. (Being available is a real plus). Right now, there is over 150 different powders, that can be classified in about 40 groups because there is so much overlapping of usability. The best rough grouping I can give is…

1. Fast burning pistol powder, (good for target loads and very small cartridges
2. Slow burning pistol powder, good for magnum revolver loads, and some shotguns
3. Medium pistol/revolver powders, good for strength loads and probably shotguns
4. Fast rifle powders, good for small rifle cartridges
5. Medium fast rifle powders, good for slightly larger cartridges
6. Medium rifle powders, good for large rifle cartridges that are not overbore
7. Slow rifle powders, good for magnum rifles (Including true magnums that don’t carry the magnum name)
8. Very slow rifle powders good for very large, very overbore magnums
9.Pressure tolerant powders that can be used for light loads in fairly large rifle cartirges

Black powders FFFFg; FFFg; FFg; Fg

And then baby powder, great for applying inside bicycle tire’s before mounting. Helps keep the tube from pinching, I use talcum powder inside my bicycle tires, and have yet to develop ovarian cancer. I suppose since I am a fellow and don’t have ovaries, this might have something to do with it.

and finally, there is a LOT of overlapping of powder uses.

So, which cartride are you needing powder for, what bullet are you going to shoot and what firearm are you going to shoot it in. With that information most here can give you a choice (and opinion) of the best ten powders for your application.

Caveat - I am hardly the most expert here. But I can give the most expert advice…Buy at least three different reloading manuals and READ THEM ALL!

There isn't a best powder contrary to what some will say, a lot of these other guys are going to give you some false information and laugh at your expense but Ill try and help you out. First ask the guy behind the counter at any of your local box stores Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy these guys know more than any person on the hide about reloading. Second DO NOT buy a reloading manual these are also obsolete and a waste of time simply fill whatever cartridge to the top with whatever powder you bought. Third cram any bullet of any diameter into the case as deep as you can get it seating depth is another myth some guys believe in which has not been proved. Fourth make sure you are extremely close to the action when firing you need to be able to hear some subtle details when the round goes off. Harmonics of the barrel will tell you if you picked the correct powder it will sound like Angels singing, then and only then will you know if you picked the correct powder. This seems like a lot to cover but reloading is a science only mastered by the best of the best...

Last edited:
There isn't a best powder contrary to what some will say, a lot of these other guys are going to give you some false information and laugh at your expense but Ill try and help you out. First ask the guy behind the counter at any of your local box stores Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy these guys know more than any person on the hide about reloading. Second DO NOT buy a reloading manual these are also obsolete and a waste of time simply fill whatever cartridge to the top with whatever powder you bought. Third cram any bullet of any diameter into the case as deep as you can get it seating depth is another myth some guys believe in which has not been proved. Fourth make sure you are extremely close to the action when firing you need to be able to hear some subtle details when the round goes off. Harmonics of the barrel will tell you if you picked the correct powder it will sound like Angels singing, then and only then will you know if you picked the correct powder. This seams like a lot to cover but reloading is a science only mastered by the best of the best...
This sir is simply genius.

In today’s powder shortage, I’m finding this to be an awesome alternative. My speeds are 100-150 FPS higher than the most popular powders. For every caliber, in all bullet weights. The longer sticks make it way easier to put in the case too.F21BD8E0-4779-47EB-9551-300B81DDFF7D.jpeg

In today’s powder shortage, I’m finding this to be an awesome alternative. My speeds are 100-150 FPS higher than the most popular powders. For every caliber, in all bullet weights. The longer sticks make it way easier to put in the case too.View attachment 7704643

Do you find the 0.7mm offers the best compromise between 0.5 and 1mm? It's for my 7.2mm Dinglefritzer

What is the best reloading powder?
Pick up a Hornady Reloading Book. They usually have a good preface all about loading and bullet theory etc.

Then go through it and start observing HOW MANY powders there are, for HOW MANY cartridges.

Then re-formulate your question?

I hear that solvent they use to cool nuclear reactors can also make great firearm propellant and an excellent replacement for old fashioned gunpowder. And it packs good inside the case because its liquid. Might be careful with it though, I hear from good accounts that it can be a deadly poison if taken internally. Many have tried it and they all eventually died, so do be careful if you give it a try. It goes by the name Dihydrogen Monoxide.

@Tommy38 yo bro where did you go? The replies are all in good fun. Come back to your post and tell us what ammo and for what use and you will get a lot of help. Its a little rough and tumble but most mean well.