• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Rifle/Scope combo for around $ 2000

Nomad0001

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2012
Greenville, SC
Obviously a total newb
blush.gif

Thinking of getting the Savage Model: 10 FCPXP HS Precision.
Package deal. Scope is Leupold 3x9 from what I understand.
It comes all set up from the factory, which I like.

Retail is around $ 2900, and "street" price seems to be around
$ 2150 or so.

I have been reading your forum, and learning a lot, but it will take a hell of a lot more reading before I can competently answer this question...

Thanks for the help.

MD

Re: Best Rifle/Scope combo for around $ 2000

Take your pic of savage rifle. Order a vortex viper PST with some seekins rings. Mount in on a decent base and your ready to roll!

I'd get the savage without the scope and get the Vortex Viper PST mentioned or the Weaver tactical 3-15 EMDR scope

I have a savage 10 fcp-HS. Go with that one. And pick the scope, base, & rings you want. It's fun putting it all together yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take your pic of savage rifle. Order a vortex viper PST with some seekins rings. Mount in on a decent base and your ready to roll! </div></div>

This or a remington 5R. I haven't seen a bad report on the 5R yet and out of the accuracy reports i've seen it's right there with savage rifles.

If you are intent on a savage, get the FP HS precision, weaver 3-15x ffp, weaver extended multi-slot rail and weaver or burris tactical rings.

Overall cost will be similar but you'll have a better, more flexible scope.

Yup...picked upa Savage FCP and have a Vortex 6-24x50 viper PST FFP sitting on top of it. Badger rings and base still had me in the sub $2K mark. There are some limitied run Savage 5R fluted barrels still lurking out there as well!

If you have over two thousand dollars to spend there's no longer any reason to get a Savage.

5R Milspec with a 10x Super Sniper would be cheaper, and better.

I'd buy a FN SPR and figure out the scope after i have rings and base, with the intention of a scope upgrade in the future.

Thank you guys so much for all the info.

I'm seriously looking up every single item that was suggested. The 5R looks very tempting, both the scopes seem like a great choice.

I know you guys have to avoid stepping on each others toes, but I have no brand loyalty to worry about.

If you can think of any other choices, please post them up!

MD

I think you'll get much better value buying used. Keep checking for used rifles in the $1200 range and have someone more knowledgeable aid you in evaluating/buying when you find one that interests you. Multiple people have mentioned the PST, I'm a fan of the Sightron SIII series; just make sure you get matching reticle/turrets - mil/mil or moa/moa. $1200 used rifle should come with a base, add a $750 scope and some used $50 rings and you're good to go.
Just my $0.02.

I have a REM LTR and soon a Weaver EMDR scope. That should be a decent combo for less than $2k.

How about a remington XCR Tactical in either compact (20" barrel) or long range (26" barrel) topped with a Vortex PST 6-24x50. I have this same setup, right at $2,000. Shoots better than MOA (closer to half moa) out to 800 yards (as far as I've shot so far).

Just look at all the options people are throwing out and compare them and pick what seems best for you. I don't think anyone will argue about any of the above mentioned guns. If you had you're profilefilled out someone close bu to you may offer to let you check out/shoot their gun.

My first long range setup:
Remington 700 5r 300wm-$1175 otd
Bushnell elite 4200 tactical 6-24x50-$650
Weaver 20moa rail-$30
Burris XTR rings-$60

I would go with the 5r and a PST if I were you. I was going to go that route, but found my bushy on sale.

I got my first long gun for around 1500. Remington PSS in 308 with a bushnell elite 3200. Nice thing though after a few years sent it off to a custom gunsmith and have a high end tactical rifle.

Something else to think about would be a Tikka T3 CTR Scout and a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 Elite Tactical w G2DMR reticle.

The Tikka will shoot as well as any of the other guns suggested, but costs a little less ($800 seems to be the going rate for the T3 Scout). The 3.5-21X50 scope will run around $1,200-$1,300. Between the scope and rifle you will be at your $2K limit. However, you will still need a nice set of rings (i.e. TPS for around $100) and I would also suggest a HSS bolt shroud ($50).

Remington 5r and a Bushnell 3-12 x44.
FFP, clear glass, illuminated, mil/mil, etc...

Savage Model 12 LRP (Large Shank Target Actions) - 26" Fluted - Blued Action and Barrel - Target Accu-Trigger - H-S Precision Stock with DBM

243 Win - $875.00
260 Rem - $875.00

Can't beat these for out of box ready, nothing close.

Nomad,

You haven't specifically stated what type of shooting you want to get into. Without that, it's just pissing in the wind.

I bought a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 Ffp to put ontop of my budget rifles and that scope is nice! Great buy for the price no doubt!

a Savage tactical, a Tikka T3 Tactical, or a Howa (Heavy Barrel stainless steel) are about the best rifles for the buck you're going to find in that price range. Add a one piece picatinny rail with 20 MOA built in, Burris Xtreme rings and a Bushnell Tactical Elite 3-12x44 FFP scope and you're done. Or swap the Bushnell Tactical Elite for the Bushnell 3200 10X mil/mil and you'll have plenty of your original money to hit with lots of ammo.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950843/...t-reticle-matte

Thanks to everyone that replied.

After much reading, I ended up getting...

Remington 700 5R Mil-spec
Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR
Seekins 20 MOA base
Seekins Medium Rings.
Harris HBR S Bipod

That's the good news. The bad news is that it's all in boxes and I have been trying to learn how to properly put it all together from the internet, which has some good info and some bad...

Good choice on the 5R

I was going to say you could go with a cheaper rifle like an SPS tactical and spend the rest of your budget on a good glass.Then work on the rifle in stages. But the Weaver scope you picked out is a very nice scope.

Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine 5r model with fluted/threaded barrel with Vortex PST or just go with the regular precision carbine and save a few bucks.

I have the Weaver 3-15x50 and LOVE it. The only complaint on it I read about was that the lines didn't quite line up on the turrets, but the ring with the lines beneath the knob can be moved fairly easily to line up. It tracks great, clicks are solid (if not TERRIBLY audible). But with my electronic muffs I can hear the clicks just fine.

I did the same thing just went cheaper with the SPS with intentions of building later. That 5R will be nice! Give us a range report when you get everything bolted together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd buy a FN SPR and figure out the scope after i have rings and base, with the intention of a scope upgrade in the future. </div></div>

If I had heard this and followed the advice years ago when I got started-----listen grasshopper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Model 12 LRP (Large Shank Target Actions) - 26" Fluted - Blued Action and Barrel - Target Accu-Trigger - H-S Precision Stock with DBM

243 Win - $875.00
260 Rem - $875.00

Can't beat these for out of box ready, nothing close.
</div></div>

That's what I got but in 6.5 creedmoor, farrel base, seekins rings, Weaver tactical scope and harris bipod. Just need to shoot it now.
smile.gif

remington 700 AAC SD
leupold 4.5-14x50 m5

I own a couple of leupy's and they arent my favorite so if you had just a couple more bucks you could get a nightforce.

I would go Remington AAC 700(less than 800), 10 X SS mil/mil(299)

Ruger 10/22(250ish) and a ton of Ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nomad0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to everyone that replied.

Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR
Seekins 20 MOA base
Seekins Medium Rings.
Harris HBR S Bipod

That's the good news. The bad news is that it's all in boxes and I have been trying to learn how to properly put it all together from the internet, which has some good info and some bad...

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nomad0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to everyone that replied.

Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR
Seekins 20 MOA base
Seekins Medium Rings.
Harris HBR S Bipod

</div></div>

Ah ok just saw this, you did alright man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have over two thousand dollars to spend there's no longer any reason to get a Savage.

5R Milspec with a 10x Super Sniper would be cheaper, and better. </div></div>

This is what I just put together in .308 but I went with the 10x HD SWFA scope. With mounts, came in right about $2k. Sub moa first day at 300 yards, and I'm a complete rookie!

[edited moments after post] Oops; just saw that you joined the 5R club. Congratulations! I'm sure you are going to like your set up!

Get help or research proper scope installation, a newbie can make a boobie. Good choice on 5R.