• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best ruck to carry 50lbs in 5-10,000 elevation

+1000 for Kifaru. Give them a call and speak to them and you will understand why. I run a Duplex Timberline and I can pack a ton of gear in there. I think they may have discontinued that model, but any of their packs paired with their frames will get the job done for sure. Their gunbearer system is pretty sweet as well.

Reactions: goinghunting
I have been running the KUIU ICON Pro 1800, 3200 and 5200; 4 season storm tent, bag and clothing. I have never been more comfortable in all my hunting life. The articulating CF frame really makes a difference. I can haul out a boned cow elk in 3 trips...bull 4-5 depending on size and horns.

On the rifle, I have tried just about everything mentioned except the Vorn. I have settled on and really like the Rifles Only Carbine sling with the QD I carry the rifle in a Solo Hunter cover and run the sling over the pack which takes off the stress and I hit the QD buckle for instant release and use of the firearm.
I have the same sling and a Kifaru pack. Can you show a pic of how you use the sling to secure the rifle to the pack?

I don’t secure it to the pack. I loosen the sling enough to go over my shoulder per normal but also over one side of the pack.

The release buckle is right in front of me to release the rifle.

Plenty of great points BUT one thing not mentioned is that the shoulder straps of a pack can often end up too close to the neck if you are a bigger person like me. I am only 6 foot tall now and shrinking but three of my great grandfathers were 6’3” or taller and I have their wide shoulders.

Pack makers often put the top anchorage points too close together and this is something that really stands out when you are all wrapped up, including a parka and jacket OR carrying a heavy load on a hot day when the resultant pressure and/or chafing really gets to you. It is one of the things that I never really liked about the ALICE pack, especially because, as an NCO who was typically much bigger than all the sappers in my section, I often had to carry the section AN/PRC 77 set during Infantry Minor Tactics (IMT) exercises. Even with the continual updates that left a lot of waste internal space inside the 77 radio, that weight still counted.

Everyone talks about back length, some people talk about the side-straps to the belt for ensuring load stability and the contours of the main belt and shoulder straps but the top anchorage placement for the shoulder straps is a critical area, especially when you might have to walk for over 5 hours with a fully laden pack. If the top anchorage points are too far apart you will have problems with the pack floating around too much, but, in this case, I suspect that ‘visual elegance’ overrides common sense with too many pack makers.

Best of luck with your search and try to make your city visit a multi-day experience, so that you can try a selection on the first day, study your notes, relax and do something else for your second day and then decide on the third day what you are going to buy.

Last edited:
I’ve owned or tired a lot and by far my favorite is the EXO 3500. Just got back from a 10 day elk backpacking elk hunt in Wy and everyone wished they had my pack. They all had the KUIU.

I've used two I liked in the SAC (An adventure race. 50# in the ruck, walk 45 miles without sleeping, carry a rifle). I ran a Mystery Ranch two years ago and liked it very much. Last year, I tested an Attack Pack Bison and found it to be just a tiny bit more comfortable for my torso. Either is superb.

I tried an Eberlestock GSII the first time I ran the event in 2013. By comparison to the two above, I thought it was awful. It's heavy and it just feels floppy when you load it up. It's fine with 40# or less, but anything north of that made it feel like a limp noodle.

Another vote for Attack Pak Bison (not just cause its named after us either) - and also I second Tim's vote for Mystery Ranch as well. The Mystery Ranch was a bit heavier, but for a larger load, might be good. The Attack Pak Bison is good for around 45ish pounds, in heavier loads 50-60 it might not be as good. I did a 3 day Continental Divide trip on it with no problem - sleeping bag, tent, food, all the gear, and it worked just fine.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I have several mystery ranch packs and they all kick ass.

I got the MR Crew Cab back in the day for this role; they say it has no limit on capacity, that no man on earth can carry enough weight to break the pack. They have revised the frame and offer some other models, but MR is hard to beat in this type of role. Read up on the Crew Cab (videos on youtube) to understand the roles it can play, then shop their current line for something that plays those roles.

Reading the thread in more detail I see you're not a hunter; now that I'm up in age from when I got the MR everything is ultra light; 850 fill bag, 850 fill parka, and GoLite (now My Trail) for the pack. Just waiting on the size and color to be made and I'll have one of their packs. Their Light 70 is the closest capacity-wise to what you are talking about. Perhaps if you lightened up a few items in your pack you can get by with it.

https://mytrailco.com/collections/packs/products/backpack-light-70

I only know what uncle same lent to me. I have used the cfp-90 rucks before the latest version of the molly rucks and obviously both are less than ideal for comfort. I would like to be able to pack a 3 piece sleep system in there along with extra clothes and food/water with an bolt gun carried either inside or out. I would like to be able to quickly get to the rifle so concealment is not necessarily a priority but is nice if it has the ability to be fully enclosed. I was looking at the Eberlestock packs in particular the G4m operator pack, the terminator pack and the destroyer packs.

Anyone used these or any other eberlestock packs with some feedback or recommendations? I will be up in down the high Unitas here in Utah. I will be living out of this pack for almost a week at a time.
Anything from Kifaru. Get their Duplex frame and pick whatever bag will fit you needs. I've tested gear for a lot of companies, and Kifaru takes the cake. Most comfortable, durable and well built packs outhere. I've packed entire black bears out in single trips with their packs.

Kifaru for durablity and versatility

Stone Glacier for lightweight and simplicity

Kifaru is going to be heavier than a SG. I prefer sG for my backpack hunting

i love kuiu for clothing but prefer a SG pack

Reactions: texag0842
I just got a Badlands Summit, haven't been home yet so haven't even had a chance to assemble it.
For the price I paid for it I'm sure there won't be any disappointment even if it ends up being used mainly for camping though the intended use is hunting.
Seek Outsides store is in the same town I live in so I really need to go check out their packs as well.

SF has given up on large 90lb rucks and switched to this. You can live like a king.

Mule-Carrying-Mk47-SF-Army-Photo-2017-605x381.jpg

Yeah, Missouri Elk, very tasty.

Reactions: ZG47A
Kifaru Mountain Warrior. Just got back from 9 days in south central Colorado - 45 miles on foot with weight - couldn't have made a better choice.

This right here. I run a Kifaru Mountain Warrior and couldn't be happier. Granted I live in the flat lands of MN, I've had it to MT 5 times in the last 2 years.

45-50 miles over 5 days back in September. Have never had a single hot spot or discomfort. Even with 100lbs in it.

So I spent over 60 days hiking above treeline (10k to 14k feet) this summer, easily 700miles total. In May I bought a pair of Keenes, their nice US-made ones and they literally fell apart by mid August. I spend a lot of time carrying a pack.

I have two packs: an Osprey Kestrel 38L and TAG Mountain Ruck. The Osprey wins hands down. It’s holding together beautifully. No hesitation shooting off it suppressed, muzzle blast might eventually damage it though if you don’t use a can. It can fit a folded 16” RPR, and you could camp out of it for a week if you had ultralight gear and your dog carrying saddlebags.

It may be too small for you, but I’d check out their other packs if that’s the case. Plus, you just look like another hiker on the trail.

That’s good to hear! I went up to the high Sierras for a weekend trip with my Eberlstock Operator and wanted to throw it off the mountain by the end of the first day. Just ordered an Osprey Xenith 88 for me and an Osprey Xena 85 for the wife. Can’t wait to try them out!