• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope for $2k or less

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I have a friend who is getting into precision rifle shooting, and his looking for glass for his 6.5 creedmoor Bergara 14HMR.

I know about all the options that exist at the $3k+ range, but I don't know near as much as offerings in the $2k or less range.

What are the current best offerings for $2k or less these days?

I'd have to vote for the Vortex Gen II Razor 4.5-27x56 with a EBR-1C reticle. A phone call and it's below $2K. Plenty of room to grow into with that.

Damn good value for the money.

Don't forget to have him budget or a quality mount as well.

Estimated used market prices: Vortex G2 ($1700), Vortex AMG ($1850), S&B 5-25 ($2000), Khales 6-24 ($2000)
I was going to post something similar - you really can't go wrong with any of these.

Only thing I'll add is that if you'd like to go cheaper, the Cronus and Cronus BTR are both great values. And even cheaper with great glass and tracking, there's still nothing wrong with the SWFA HD 5-20. I've run mine out to 1,100 on my 6.5 CM Tikka CTR with zero issues. Tried out most of the more expensive stuff and decided to stick with my SWFA.

Reactions: Dr. Davy Jones
I was going to post something similar - you really can't go wrong with any of these.

Only thing I'll add is that if you'd like to go cheaper, the Cronus and Cronus BTR are both great values. And even cheaper with great glass and tracking, there's still nothing wrong with the SWFA HD 5-20. I've run mine out to 1,100 on my 6.5 CM Tikka CTR with zero issues. Tried out most of the more expensive stuff and decided to stick with my SWFA.

Yeah it's not like how it used to be 10-15 years ago, we have lots of decent choices today.

Reactions: patriot07
NF NXS 7-35x56 with zero stops for $1810 new at optics planet with there 10% off mail coupon.

Reactions: MrFrankZ
I'd try and find a Nightforce NXS F1 or ATACR 4-16. The Gen 2 Razor is a good option as well but I always look for NF first.

Estimated used market prices: Vortex G2 ($1700), Vortex AMG ($1850), S&B 5-25 ($2000), Khales 6-24 ($2000)

^^ this ^^

I'd also add a used Steiner M5Xi to the list or possibly a new Steiner T5Xi.

for $1,500 something you could get into a delta strykr hd 5x 50x56 34mm with illuminated rets thats a large usable mag range with nice glass , or the sightron s3 10x50x60 30mm for around $1050. non illuminated ret, but that is just my thoughts personally i like to see things before buying them and neither of these scopes were anywhere near to me that i could see so i chose the sightron its nice but upon seeing the delta on sale for 1500 it was 2k ish , i am going to get one and try it , the newer sightron sv is 2k+ and has the same glasss as the s3 just nicer nobs and a 34mm tube either should do anything im trying to do from 50m to 600 yards.

I had the same choice and got a new Steiner T5xi 5x25 for $1440 - My NXS is super durable and the turrets are great but the glass is kind of mid-rate - shooting at the indoor range I think my Bushnell 6500 Elite for half the price actually has better glass although the Nightforce is a far more desirable scope. A lot of guys love the Razor but they are VERY heavy when you actually hold it. They also have a great warranty that also gets used a lot from what I have read on the forums like this.

I don't believe the Steiner beats the S&B and other's where you have to go used to stay under 2k - but tracking and the turrets are most important to me and the Steiner glass is good enough - the warranty is Lifetime and it is made in Colorado where they will actually talk to you on the phone without super long hold.

I plan on buying my next scope from Liberty - A Steiner 4x28 M series but that is about 2500

Reactions: Dr. Davy Jones
Here’s my pick for best values under $2000

Razor Gen2 (used EBR-2C or new EBR-7C)
Cronus BTR
LRHS / LRTS 4.5-18

I have one Cronus BTR, and another on the way. I really like the reticle. If it had locking for capped windage it would be perfect.

People suggesting Schmidts are over your price point. You won't find one thats not beat to a bloody pulp below 2K with a useful reticle.

Gen 2 Razor is your best bet without a doubt. Current price drop kills anything that was previously close to it. On the used side the AMG is another good choice or the Kahles 624 is you can deal with incredibly short eye relief and your eye is not sensitive to CA at all because this scope has more of it than any scope I've looked through.

Reactions: ThePretzel
Most "great deals" on used scopes usually bottom out at dealer price. Sometimes they dip slightly below, but not much. If the S&B DT 5-25 market value is really $2000, ouch. Dealers cant even get close to that direct from S&B.

I beg to differ!

I Sold 2 gently used 5-25 S&B in the PX back in the fall... they sat in the PX for over month.. I started them about $2700 - $2500 and slowly lowered the price one had a Tremor 2 with locking turrets it went for 2K shipped and one with a P4L non locking turret for $1800 shipped

It is a buyers market

Last edited:
Reactions: Geno C.
Right now there are so many great scopes in the $1000-1300 range I would be looking there and buy practice ammo with the rest of the cash. Especially for a new shooter pratice or a training course will make all the difference. When I first started shooting I really couldn’t appreciate the difference in a $500 and $3500 scope. I just didn’t know what features were must haves for me. After shooting for a year or so my view on optics and what I wanted was completely different. At that point I made a list of all the optics in my price range with the features I wanted and bought the one I found the best deal on. Chances are if he shoots for awhile and really likes it he will want to build a custom rifle anyway and at that point he will know what he really wants in an optic and rifle.

I beg to differ!

I Sold 2 gently used 5-25 S&B in the PX back in the fall... they sat in the PX for over month.. I started them about $2700 - $2500 and slowly lowered the price one had a Tremor 2 with locking turrets it went for 2K shipped and one with a P4L non locking turret for $1800 shipped

It is a buyers market

I sold a H2CMR LT/MTC for 2700 a week ago. Must have patience grasshopper... and also not pick shit reticles haha

I'd suggest go S&B 5-25x56 with the P4F used.
They can be had here with a bit of watching in the $2k to $2200 range.

It's hard to beat the value on that, unless you have to have one of the new busy grid or tree reticles.

The 2 step process in buying a scope in any price point:

Step 1. Call Doug
Step 2. Spend the rest of your time bragging about how awesome a scope you got, how good of a deal and enjoy the ammo to practice with.

Seriously, just call Doug :) He will even throw in some of the best customer service around whether you buy from him or not.

I sold a H2CMR LT/MTC for 2700 a week ago. Must have patience grasshopper... and also not pick shit reticles haha
Can't believe someone paid that. H2CMR is hard to look at IMHO. Useful information overall, but really not pleasant to look at at all. Most I've seen are $2000-$2400.

You also need to define what kind of shooting you're going to do. If he wants to shoot PRS the P4FL will leave a lot to be desired for most. Most folks "need" to have .2 mil wind holds on the horizontal line for competitions. Obv you don't need this to compete but many find it helps. XT vs a stright line is personal preference to cater to your shooting style (dial+hold vs hold only) for wind.

Can't believe someone paid that. H2CMR is hard to look at IMHO. Useful information overall, but really not pleasant to look at at all. Most I've seen are $2000-$2400.

H2CMR is my and many others favorite Schmidt reticle. Everything you need, nothing you don't. What do you mean not pleasant to look at? We aren't making babies with the things we are shooting with them. Reticle is obv personal preference. H2CMR is certainly one of the most popular sold based on my discussions with Schmidt sales reps.

H2CMR is my and many others favorite Schmidt reticle. Everything you need, nothing you don't. What do you mean not pleasant to look at? We aren't making babies with the things we are shooting with them. Reticle is obv personal preference. H2CMR is certainly one of the most popular sold based on my discussions with Schmidt sales reps.
Need to see one in person. Just looking at thru-scopes pics this morning and saw it and just hated the way it looked. No numbers anywhere - random symbols all around. But it does appear to have more information than most of the other S&B reticles. If you want .2 holds, it's one of your only options.

Need to see one in person. Just looking at thru-scopes pics this morning and saw it and just hated the way it looked. No numbers anywhere - random symbols all around. But it does appear to have more information than most of the other S&B reticles. If you want .2 holds, it's one of your only options.

Not sure where you shoot but a wind hold of more than 2.5 mils is extremely rare for me with the rifles I shoot. At max at a match I'm at 1-1.5 mils with a DTAC in a creedmoor. The dots easily let you count a mil and then you simply count the hashes just as you would any other reticle. Numbers just clutter my field of view and block misses/impacts. Just like any other reticle you just need to practice with it.

Anyway back to the discussion OP. Gen 2 Razor will be the best "bang for your buck" for your friend and the warranty is the best in the business.