• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ETXbeginner

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2020
East Texas
Will be used on a range gun for 1200 yards in. Weight isn’t a factor. I understand there are several scopes that fall around this range new/used. It’s going on a 6.5 cm. Only things I’ve looked at so far are Vortex Razor Gen II. Prefer something with mil reticle. I’ve been told a Leupold MK5 would be ideal as well. Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed.

I’ve got a Vortex Gen 2 PST 3-15x44 FFP that I have on my B&T APC 308 and it’s ringing steel at 700 yards without wind it’s pretty simple and the glass clarity is clear. However, this optic ranges about 1k less than your proposed post suggests but I thought I’d through it out there.

Reactions: ETXbeginner
I’ve got a Vortex Gen 2 PST 3-15x44 FFP that I have on my B&T APC 308 and it’s ringing steel at 700 yards without wind it’s pretty simple and the glass clarity is clear. However, this optic ranges about 1k less than your proposed post suggests but I thought I’d through it out there.
I actually just picked up a PST Gen 2 in the 5-25x50 FFP. Local gunsmith I know had it on a used gun for the last couple months and never sold either. I gave him $500 for the scope and he mounted and leveled it and threw on a bubble level. Scope had been on that gun for about 40 rounds and you can tell. All adjustments are still nice and tight without a scuff or scrape to be found. I like the clarity and wouldn’t mind having another, but why not go big while I’ve got the budget for it.

SWFA Super Snipers are a great value.
Vortex Viper PST are also very good. The Razor line
is more expensive but very good too.
Nightforce makes a good scope.

Lots to choose from in the $2k range!

(No affiliation with the seller)

I have one of these and it’s phenomenal. If I had $2k and needed another optic, I’d buy this. Durable, reliable, and a transferable warranty. ...plus that mil-c reticle is perfect.

Consider this for $2400

Razor gen 2 and AMG can both be found well under 2 brand new.
ATACR 5-25 and S&B pm11 5-25 can be had used for 22-2300.00

My preference is the S&B

You can find a Leopold MK5 for less than $2k, and they are amazing scopes for the money. I have a couple, and they just plain work.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I fo
I love my ATACR 7-35x56 but for the price point I don't think you can beat the Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56.
I found a guy within driving distance of me with a Gen 2 razor with the same reticle as my PST gen 2 (a plus for me) that will sell me his with rings for a decent price.

Reactions: Krob95
I have both, the PST and Razor. Both are nice scopes but the 1000.00 price difference is obvious when using them.

I would pick up a used NF Competition 15-55, just be sure it has the reticle you want.

Razor EBR7. On the 1.5k - 2k weight class its your best option...
20200527_204510.jpg

Get online or in some manner look at the reticles of all these different scopes people have posted about. That should be a huge part of your decision. Who cares how good the deal is if you learn that a different scope in the same price tier has a much better (to you) reticle.

You got a screaming deal on that Viper PST, even if it's one of the less desirable reticles. If it's the EBR-7C (floating dot), that's the newest and most preferred. The older -2C has an open center. Still a great scope but I personally really like the -7C. The Razor has a far more solid and robust feel than the PST. I have two gen-2 PSTs and 2 gen-2 Razors. If you like the PST, it's likely you'll like the Razor more.

Asking "what's the best scope at X price" is the same sort of question as "what's the best car at Y price" or "what's the best hamburger at Z price." While getting input on any of these is a reasonable thing to do, it ultimately comes to what YOU like. If you can put hands on any of the scopes in this thread, do so. But at least check out the reticles online.

My choice for $2k would be a Vortex Razor AMG from Liberty Optics. It'll come in under your budget (add the scope to your cart to see the actual price).

I would pick up a used NF Competition 15-55, just be sure it has the reticle you want.

Great idea - a scope with only 55 MOA of internal elevation adjustment and no options for MRAD knobs or reticles.

Reactions: Forward543
Id spend a little extra and get a used schimdt.
love the clarity and been running the H2cmr for 3 years now.

I ended up going with a used Razor Gen II in my Christensen BA Tactical. Gun was light weight but not too light, the heavy scope put it at a more reasonable weight for target shooting. Biggest pull for the razor was my that I already have a Viper PST gen 2 with the ebr2 mrad, the razor I found used but in new condition in the box had the same reticle. No scrapes dings or scratches on the glass. I need to take it out and check the tracking on it but all seems well so far. Thanks for all the input. I was tempted by the lighter leupold, but couldn’t convince myself I would like the reticles they had. All in all the razor will work just like the other options presented would work but as many of you pointed out, it’s all about personal preference. Hope this thread can help others in my shoes as well.

Reactions: napt0wnc1ty99
Great idea - a scope with only 55 MOA of internal elevation adjustment and no options for MRAD knobs or reticles.

Some of us are perfectly happy using MOA knobs and reticles, and NF gives conservative specs on these. The one I am shooting today has 67 MOA total elevation, while another has 57. Either should be enough to shoot out to 1,200 yards with the OP's 6.5 if you know how to take advantage of all available travel.

I have ATACRs and NXSes with lots more travel and mil-availabiity, and they are great scopes, but I would still recommend the Comp. 15-55 to the OP, with his budget of $2,000.

Last edited:
Used 5-25 atacr for sure.

Or this

Last edited:
Vortex Gen 2 is a great scope. You can pickup a Khales or Stenier M series on this site for 2000ish. With that said heat waves here in Texas are a problem. Drone cams are nice for that distance. That's my tin nickels worth.