• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes best scope for less then $350?

Re: best scope for less then $350?

I was also looking at buying this scope , Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 Mil-Dot . A friend has one , it seems like a lot of scope for the money

After nearly another year and a half (altogether going on 2 1/2 years), I'm still solidly behind the Tasco VAR624X42M 6-24x42 MilDots, all four of mine are still going strong. Has turned out to be a fairly good investment, despite the lowball pricetag.

Greg

what about Falcon's Menace tactical scopes? they were recommended to me by a hide member (i have no personal experience with them)

here's reviews:

4-14x44mm
4.5-18x56mm

available for $390 here

the illuminated reticle version available for $415 here

THIS is the one i've got my eye on b/c it has a mildot reticle & .1 MRad adjustment turrets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 Mil-Dot, SF, 1" tube. Damn nice optic for the $$$.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1892-220-nikon-45-14x40-buckmaster-riflescope.aspx

The new Bushnell 3200 tactical would be a nice also, or bump up to the 4200 for a little more cash. </div></div>

Agreed.

I would seriously look at the Vortex viper series. closer to $400 but WELL worth it. VERY good optics especially for the price.

Are Leupolds overpriced? Meaning are there equal quality glass available for less money that are overlooked?

Thanks

If I am interested in the TRS-1 how do I contact Donnie and how much are they going for? Seems like a decent scope and when I am ready to upgrade I can throw it on a small varmit rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 Mil-Dot, SF, 1" tube. Damn nice optic for the $$$.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1892-220-nikon-45-14x40-buckmaster-riflescope.aspx

The new Bushnell 3200 tactical would be a nice also, or bump up to the 4200 for a little more cash. </div></div>

Agreed. </div></div>

That's what I have, and so far I like it. Time will tell how it holds up though.

I also have had the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 Mil-Dot, SF for the last month and pretty much dig it. I upgraded from a Leupold 3x9 VX-II with target turrets added on from the factory. No complaints about it yet and as a bonus, there was a coupon for a free mil-dot master included with it. I just had to pay for shipping. Oh yeah, I found it online for $258.00 no tax or shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I also have had the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 Mil-Dot, SF for the last month and pretty much dig it. I upgraded from a Leupold 3x9 VX-II with target turrets added on from the factory. No complaints about it yet and as a bonus, there was a coupon for a free mil-dot master included with it. I just had to pay for shipping. Oh yeah, I found it online for $258.00 no tax or shipping. </div></div>

where

I have the Nikon Buckmaster with BDC and love it. For low light conditions I have never seen anything like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are Leupolds overpriced?</div></div>

YES

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Meaning are there equal quality glass available for less money that are overlooked? </div></div>

I wouldn't say they are overlooked, just don't have the hype that Leupold does. I won't spend 1000 dollars on a Leupold when you can pick up a SS for way less.

I'm liking my TRS1 Millet. What did you get, OP, after 2.5 years of this thread?

I have to reply to this thread. I am still a novice shooter but I really like the Redfield Revolution line. A bit below the threads price point but if you are looking for an entry scope for a less expensive rifle I would look at this. IMHO

Now I am debating whether to hop up to the 600-700 price range or just go for the 1400-2000 price range. Money money.

I've had my TRS-1 for a few years now, and love it. For the money I'm not sure you can do much better than that optic. I've got it on a .223 Remington SPS, and it does everything I ask it to, and then some.

Personally, I would stay away from Millet, but that's just one mans opinion. The only 1 I have experience with was a good friend of mine who took it out with me the other day. The TRS-1 was VERY washed out during dusk, almost to the point of not being usable. This was even more evident when being compared side by side to the Bushnell 4200 tactical. I figure you get what you pay for, except that the $60 fixed power (6x32) Leapers scope I have mounted on a .17hm2 AR looked 10x better at dusk than the Millet did.

The absolute deal breaker was when we took it shooting the next day. After about 15 rounds of .308 the glass (right next to the reticle) appeared to have some small black spots in it. Tried wiping down the glass with no luck it was definitely inside. After a few more rounds, a relatively large piece of what looked like rubber now covered a large portion of the glass (wish I had thought enough to take a picture). After a few more shots the piece of rubber (or whatever it was) was knocked out of view, with just a few small spots of black left in the reticle.

I suppose its a decent scope for the money and perhaps he just got a lemon, but there are several other options out there for not much more money, especially if you consider pre-owned. I'd get a Walmart Leupold Rifleman or VX-1 over the TRS any day (assuming you didn't need target/tactical turrets).

Other than this last post, this thread has sold me on the Millet TRS-1 mil/mil.

Since it's been another 8 months since the last post, are the suggestions in the thread still relevant? Have there been any new scopes that have come along that out perform these?

As far as a fixed 10x falling short at 400 yards, don't worry about it. For a long time (although I'm not sure if it's still this way) the military was issuing fixed 10x scopes to their sniper teams and they engaged targets much further than 400 yards. There's some guys who shoot 1,000 yard comps with a 10x and guys who recreationally use a 10x to the same distance.

Will a higher power variable be better? Maybe, but it's doable with both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Theodizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've looked at the super-sniper 10x42, but I think 10x is a little low. 400 yards is the longest range I have access to right now.
</div></div>

I wouldn't sell 10x short so quickly my friend. For years that is all our military snipers had and it seemed to work for them.

That said, in your price range, the SS 10x42 is one of the better options. Your could also look for a used Nikon Monarch (which you can probably find for less then $350) and, as some people have already said, the Bushnell is a good option also.

ss10x42 is a good scope. Depending on what you are going to shoot with it at longer ranges. I need higher magnification at longer ranges if I am not just shooting steel plates (for stuff like bottle/pdogs).

10XSS is a really good scope, but I too need the extra magnification. 20X is too much in my opinion, as I plan on using this rifle to hunt with as well.

The 16XSS is just the ticket, so I bought another one... this is my 3rd 16X. It is a really awesome scope for the funds!!

DK

16XSS001.jpg

I have a couple of the 10x50 TRS-2 with illuminated reticle, and I enjoy them. I actually have too many and a bunch left over NIB. I will shoot you a PM. Might as well give another option!

Point received loud and clear. It was the only flag I had left in OD subdued. I will look for another.

DK

How about a 3-9x, like the zeiss conquest 3-9x40. Best glass of all mentioned here, a little under the mag range you were wanting, but if the glass is dark and unclear above 10x on cheap glass why would you want it? You can pick up used ones for around $350, I just saw one sell on another forum for $310 shipped which was a deal.
The buckmaster 4.5-14x40 is probably the best for your requirements, although I do have a wotac 4-14x50 on a rimfire that I am really impressed with. good clear glass with nice colors and contrast, repeatable, and I like the reticle. Under $350 also.
I had the trs1 on a budget build, not really impressed with it. clicks were mushy and glass not the greatest. Much rather have a SS 10x42 than the trs1.
Look at the vortex vipers used, good glass, good turrets, solid, and the warranty.

Surprised the Weaver TGS 3-10x Mil/Mil hasn't popped up yet (or if it did and I missed it, I apologize). I've shot out to 550 yards with one and it did the job just fine. Still on sale for $300 at Midway.

I've used a bushnell 3200 3-9x out to 750 yards without a problem. 10x will carry you out to 1000 for sure.

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x is a great option along with the Bushnell 3200 10x. Both mil/mil and both on Midway. (pondering them both myself)

If you're really wanting the tacticool features, go with the Millet. I've heard mixed reviews, but they're mil/mil and track well (if you get one that tracks well).

I have a couple nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 scopes. They are great for the money. I got one with a regular plex for 299 from big river and the other with mildot from midway. Downside is the turrets don't match and are 1/8 click value, but they have been accurate and precise.

I have them on a weatherby vanguard 223 and a savage 17 hmr that gets used for vermin duty riding in the back of the rhino. Hasn't been out of "tune" yet.

Looking thru this thread I wound up looking at a few scopes. The Tasco 6-24 Target/Varmit for $90
The Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 for $300
And Millett's 4-16 w/ilum dot for $305

I would hate to spend the 90 for the tasco and find out it's not any good because then the price for the Nikon would be 400 in the end.

My problem is Im a new shooter and piecing my rig together on a budget. I want to get rounds down range and "learn" how to get better rather than having a rig that is pretty.

The rifle is an older Rem 700 in .308 that has varmint style stock I got off ebay for $32, a take off heavy barrel for $125 and a Harris bi-pod $10 at yard sale. BUT....if I cant see what I'm shooting at it dont matter. I want to go tasco because of the price ($200 buys alot of bullets) so if there are more any more shooters using the tasco please let me know your opinions. I know two years from now I will have upgraded every piece of equipment but for now I just dont want to waste $90.

There's a few sleeper scopes out there you guys should be aware of. You can find them used sometimes for approx $250-300.

Remember Bausch&lomb ? Well Bushnell bought their riflescope division years ago. The Bushnell 4200 series 6-24x44 and 8-32x44 are rebadged B&L target scopes. They have capped target turrets,front objective parallax and "by far the best glass of any scope in the price range period"! The glass is way better than the other 4200 series tactical scopes. Us Field target air rifle shooters try to scoop them up whenever we can because they focus down to 10Y and there's nothing else out there that is such a good scope for the money.

One downside is 1/8 moa clicks and duplex reticle but sometimes you can find one with a mildot. The other downside is a smallish amount of elevation travel. To solve that problem I use Burris signature rings with the adjustable inserts. They are another little known item that is far better than the price would reveal.

Do any of the scopes in this price range have the ability to set the turrets to a known zero? I'm not 100% sure I asked this question correctly. Basically I'm wondering if once you achieve a Zero at a given distance. Do any optics in this price range have the ability to set/affix the turrets at this point so that any later adjustments for windage or elevation; Can be easily reset back to the original Zero point. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am new at this and I just adquired a rifle and accesories , etc. so I am low on cash . I have been researching scopes a lot and at first I thought that the Millet LRS-1 or the TRS-1 were the ticket . Good features, low price ... great combination , but then I started to read more and more posts about those scopes having problems ... Reticles canted , things getting loose inside , not zeroing after a few rds , and on and on . Then I came to a realization that even thou the warranty by Bushnell is good , I don`t want to get into the return cycle and wait and then return it again , etc, etc, so , I erased the Millet from the list of possibles . I know, it has a terrific price , but as they very wisely say , you get what you pay for and these chinese scopes are not what I want .
After all that diatribe I finally settled on the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ... It cost twice the Millet but for the price I think it is the best bang for the buck , with quality .
I have read many reviews on those scopes and they are all positive , so this is a winner . Of course it cannot be compared to a Premier or a US Optics but for the money it will definetely work for me .
It is hard for us new guys on the sport to visualize that an expensive scope is necessary ... We go into this thinking that we can put a $200 scope on top of a Sako TRG and it will do ... wrong !!!
For what I will be doing , the Vortex will work for me at least for now . When I progress and have more experience in doing longer distances later on , I would upgrade to a better scope . Just my two cents

What do Scope companies call this when listing product specs.? So when reading an add I know that the particular scope has it.

It is called reset to zero .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slingshot14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of the scopes in this price range have the ability to set the turrets to a known zero? I'm not 100% sure I asked this question correctly. Basically I'm wondering if once you achieve a Zero at a given distance. Do any optics in this price range have the ability to set/affix the turrets at this point so that any later adjustments for windage or elevation; Can be easily reset back to the original Zero point. Thanks in advance for any help. </div></div>

Almost any scope with uncapped turrets and most with capped turrets allow you to reset your zero. Usually they have set screws that let you loosen/remove the turret and rotate yo your zero. The days of coin adjustable turrets without markings are long gone
grin.gif

I've got two Millets now. Both 30mm tubes, 4-16x50. I'd say they are pretty good 'bang-for-the-buck"...one is on a 22-250, the other on a 7mm Rem Mag-and holding up fine...Super Sniper is another one I like for this price-range...I've had a $1200 plus scope before and it was great but I'm happy with these lower end ones as well (and I wont feel the pain as bad if I bust one in the field for sure!)...

I have a super sniper, which it quite robust, but if I were doing it again (well I am, I have a 6-24 PST on the way), I would probably just have bought a cheaper scope, maybe a vortex crossfire, and then saved up to get something better. It's not that the 10x SS is bad at all, I just didn't realize how important optics were at first, and after looking through some nicer stuff it showed me how the whole experience is affected by glass.

I had a weird problem with the SS where I would sometimes have trouble focusing on the crosshair. I'm not sure what it was, I've never run into that issue on another scope. It's also the only scope I've ever used with rear parallax, so that could be the issue. I know the scope is fine, it's just specific to my eyes and that scope. I just found that they'd hunt for the crosshair sometime.

One great thing about the SS is how robust it is. That is a solid scope, I would trust it to hold up under any and all conditions.

Reviving old thread instead of starting new one.
I am a novice when it comes to optics, specs, and application.
The more I read, the more confused it seems I get.
I am looking for any recommendations for optics for a 22LR and 17HMR. Always interested in advice for centerfire too.

Use will be target shooting with rare "varmit shots". Ideally would like to keep the price under $350 (maybe up to $400), but realize to some extent "you get what you pay for".

Has Bushnell discontinued the Elite 3200 and 4200 lines and replaced it with the E-TAC line? The only place I was able to find them was at Natchez Shooters Supply, which also has the great prices on Nikon (some refurbs) and Weaver. Buds suprisingly had better prices than SWFA and OpticsPlanet on some models.

Possibilities I have looked at are:
Millet TRS-1 4-16x50 30mm
Bushnell E-TAC 5-15x40 1"
Falcon Menace 4-14x44 30mm FFP
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 1"
Weaver Super Slam 2-10x42 1"

Other models of Nikon Monarch or Weaver Super Slam????

Am I going overboard to be putting one of these on a Savage FVSS 17HMR and Remington VTR 597? Also, would one of these serve well on a Savage 10FP 223?

I like what Redfield and Nikon have to offer - good glass for the money.

More reading and searching.

Midway has Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte on SALE for $299

Millet TRS-1 $265
Falcon $385
Monarch $320
Bushy E-TAC $373
Super Slam $330 vs $370 (50mm vs 40mm objective)
Plus I think $50 rebate on Weavers

Gonna read up on the others.

Nikon buckmasters 6-18x?42, I use one of this on a 22-250 and it's a really nice scope for the price, it has a mil dot reticle and the glass is great, the only thing I don't like on it is that it has 1/8" clicks but I don't use the turrets so it doesn't bother me. I bought mine from midwayusa for $309 and it came with sunshade and an extra es of turrets ( tactical turrets ).

You might look at a Leupold MRK-AR. Mil dot or duplex, 1/2 moa adj., lifetime warranty. I think mine was in the mid $300 range. You can add a custom reticle if you want. Good scope for the money.

I'm putting together my first bolt gun, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308. I'm on a fairly tight budget and this thread has been perfect for helping me decide which optic to get. I'm looking at the Leapers UTG 30mm 4-16X56. Does anyone have any experience or heard anything negative about Leapers optics? Thanks.