• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope for under $1000

strider09

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
wichita KS.
I am looking for a new scope and don't have the option to test it out, so I am hoping that I will get honest helpful information from all of you. Remember there is no such thing as too much information so long as it's honest.

I am in the market for a new scope but don't have the ability to test it out first to see how it feels. I am really limited to under $1000, preferably less. .
I am looking for something with some range to it, but just how much is open, Preferably over 10x on the top side, and am currently considering the Vortex viper 6-20, does anyone have any experiance with this scope? What about one of the HAWKE? or is Leupold the way to go with a Leupold VX-II or mark in the range of 6-18? or is a nikon better? maybe a buckmaster 6-19 or a monarch 4-16? or even the millet 4-16?

Sorry for the long list of scopes, there are just so many to chose from and my background/experiance is so limited.

Background about me and my experiance: I have previously only had two scopes with very differant results.
1. a Leupold VX1 3-9 and loved it, as soon as I pulled the rifle up the sight picture was there.
2. A bushnell 6500 elite 4.5 x 30 that I hated, I could never get a good sight picture. If I adjusted the eye releif (distance from scope to eye) for 30x then it wouldn't be there for anything under 10 and if I adjusted for 4.5 it wouldn'd be there for anything over 15-20. I could never get it so that at all zoom levels the whole picture was there, it was always ending with part of some range of it being black.

I do know that the one thing that I do not ever want to have happen again is the problems with the sight picture like I had with the bushnell. I am not sure if it just did not match my eye, or if my scope was defective, or if that is just the way bushnells are. I do need to mention this for them, they gave me a 100% refund on my money with no questions asked so they are very good on their waranty.

I appreciate any input.

Re: Best scope for under $1000

For less than $1k I would check out the Viper PST.

I own both the Vortex 6.5-20X44 Viper and the VXII 6-18 and have no complaints with either. Of the two I'd recommend the Vortex.

I own both the Vortex 6.5-20X44 Viper and the VXII 6-18 and have no complaints with either. Of the two I'd recommend the Vortex.

Im a cheap ass. I buy all of my scopes used to save cash. Find out what you really want and be patient until you see it in the for sale section here and buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For less than $1k I would check out the Viper PST. </div></div>

+1 on the PST

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5X20 and would recommend it, especially for the price.

Scope tracks accurately and holds/returns to zero.

Downside is that it is mil/MOA (mil dot reticle and 1/4 MOA turrets). Scope is also a little short on eye relief. Not a big problem on my .308, but could be an issue on heavier calibers.

Everyone, Thank you for all the great input! I have narrowed it down to between the Weaver Tactical 4-20 (did not even consider a weaver until I saw the post above, which gives the tactical line a great review, and if both 3-15 & 4-20 are the same, I would rather the 4-20) or the Vortex Viper 6.5-20, not the pst though as from what I can see on the differances between the pst and the regular viper, they don't warrent the extra $600 if it's just a differant focal plane and still uses the same construction, glass, and quality..... Please correct me if I am wrong.
Does anyone have both of these scopes that can comment on how they compair with each other?

THEBEARRRRRRJEW, That link is hilarious!!! I loved it!! It was a rough day at work before I got home and then I watched that little skit and it made me laugh so hard! I hope that I'm not that bad.... but I'm sure some probably see me the same... sorry for the inconvenience to anyone that my question has caused, and once again thank you for the input.

strider09, the 4-20 Weaver is not illuminated & has the plain mil-dot reticle. The 3-15 I posted the link to has the EMDR reticle & has red/green illumination, so I really prefer this model. I am hoping they will make the 4-20 with the new reticle & illum eventually, I'll definitely buy one! Here is the EMDR reticle in the 3-15....

http://www.weaveroptics.com/downloads/WO267_EMDR_Reticle_11_x_8-5.pdf