• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best semi auto 20 ga for squirrel

Jarrett M

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2022
Md
Between a Benelli sbe3 or m2 field vs beretta a400 lite vs franchi affinity 3 cerakote wich is most reliable for squirrel loads. The gun will be clean so I don't wanna hear inertia is better because it goes more rounds with out cleaning just looking for flat out cycling reliability.

Already have a 22 i have a Frenchi turkey elite but it does not cycle light loads and i don't break guns in

You need a semi auto shotgun for squirrels? Good ol .22/ 17 hmr does the trick for me. But If I had SBE money to drop that’s what I would get.
Required for that that fast follow-up shot when you miss it sitting on the ground!

Reactions: bohica17
I recently picked up a 20ga Beretta A300 Ultima and have been very impressed. I have a older 20ga Beretta 391 urika (best shooting auto made, just my opinion) and they are extremely similar. I've shot some skeet and sporting with it and I really like the way it shoots. Been 100% with everything but some herters shells I had. I honestly don't think any of my 12 gauges with make it out of the safe this Waterfowl season. If you spend the extra on the A400 you won't be disappointed but the A300 is by no means a compromise.

Reactions: Jarrett M
Nothing wrong with a semi, I love my Benelli Montefeltro. I also have a Beretta A390 12ga, my two favorite shotguns!

Mike
Squirrels, rabbits, grouse,,,,, whatever small game you want to hunt a 20 ga semi will do great.

Yes a 20 gauge will work just fine for squirrels if you got one. The only down side is picking shot out of the carcus after skinning it. If you just must use a shotgun then I think the 410 or 28 gauge is better suited.

If you dont I would suggest a good 22 rim fire, especially a bolt gun that can use shorts or CB caps instead as well as Long Rifles. While they are more expensive in this day and age of urban sprawl they will travel a much shorter distance and still dispatch bushey tails just fine. Im not sure but they are also cheaper fare than shotgun rounds and I gaurentere the LR's are about 3 cents a shot.

Reallistically, I would pick a Rem 870 Express Youth. Why, because you don’t care about it!! Save Premier shotguns for upland or shooting skeet. Everybody needs a beatup, bangaround, dont give a Ratsassd 20ga Youth!!

Reactions: Modoc
I will say that we try to hunt rabbit on public land a lot here in Ohio and I always wanted a 20 gauge over under. I ended up getting a cheapie to see how I like it. Got a stoeger condor o/u in 20. I freaking love that gun. Shoots flat like a laser. My uncle ended up getting his son one and he got a side by side as well. It’s also been on two pheasant reserve hunts (which is what got my uncle to buy the ones he did). $419 at todays prices I got mine for $350. Just a thought you could look into.

Benelli SBE3 for me is the best option. The issue is that this shotguns are hard to find. Beretta A400 could be the best option and the pricing is about 1300-1600.

I bought the Franchi Affinity Youth model last year for my woman and oldest kid to grow into. It's nice enough but needs a little break in. Won't cycle lighter dram loads, likes some good 1 oz at 1250fps to cycle reliably but it's getting better. Doesn't get used all that much except when I shoot it but it does shoot nice.

20 is fine for squirrel. Dad uses a Mossberg 185D bolt action and has for years. He pulls super duty with that gun and hunts deer as well. My wife uses a 185d as well, I have a O/U CZ redhead premier all terrain for squirrels, dove and whatever else I feel like using it for

What is the OP idea of a squirrel load ?
I would think of a high base lead, which will cycle fine in any quantity shotgun.

20 ga for squirrels? Anything as IMO squirrels don't require a superbly balanced, pointable, top end shotgun! haha

I'd go with a used Rem 1100 as that's kind of the floor for me in autos...but I'm a shotgun snob! LOL

Reactions: Modoc
My Montefeltro cycles the cheap promotional stuff (3/4oz) as well as the heavier stuff. I like the Fiocchi golden pheasant 2 3/4" loads for hunting

Mike

I hunted squirrels for years with a 20 because it’s what I had and I wouldn’t do it not that I know better. Might as well just use a 12 at that point. So much shot in them or fucks them if if they’re close.

410 and 22 are much better choices if you’re going to eat them with 22 being the best choice.

Reallistically, I would pick a Rem 870 Express Youth. Why, because you don’t care about it!! Save Premier shotguns for upland or shooting skeet. Everybody needs a beatup, bangaround, dont give a Ratsassd 20ga Youth!!
I use and abuse all my guns no matter the price it is a tool if it breaks i fix it if it rusts i oil n remove it

Reactions: mtrmn
Hunted squirrels with a shotgun all my life. 20 ga is fine. Here in Louisiana squirrel season opens the first Saturday in October and the trees are almost in full foliage until late November, and many times you have to shoot through a lot of foliage at a squirrel jumping from limb to limb. Shotgun is the ticket. If you're too lazy to pick out a few shot then that's too bad.
I've never used a semiauto, Almost always a pump gun. Rem 870 or Win 1200.

A87308EB-81B0-4AD6-8363-A84F1450BF42.gif

Have you considered a Benelli 28 gauge? Super light. That one is on my wish list.

I have 2 beretta 391’s and a m2 in 20 gauge. The 391 is the best shooting shotgun I have ever owned. My son loves his as well. Does not kick like the m2 but you have to clean it because it is gas operated. The magazine tube cap is the Achilles heel of the 391 but if you oil it it is no problem.

The M2 is great - only clean it once a year. The only issue I have with the Benelli is it kicks more ( my kids when they were younger) and from time to time the bolt will unlatch when I am turkey hunting. I took the tactical bolt knob off and went back to the factory Benelli knob and that has helped some.

Otherwise both are great. M2 is light.

Both guns eat my thumb up when loading. I got aftermarket carriers for both and it helped.

I have a 20 gauge SBE3 with a 26" barrel. Light weight, swings good. Little more recoil that a Beretta gas gun since it’s inertia driven, but they just run.
Don’t over look the Retay Marsai Mara, it’s a Turkish shotgun. They essential took a SBE3 copied it and allegedly improved it. Cheaper, works good, 5 year warranty, the waterfowl guides loved them.

Haven't shot any squirrels with these 24" Benelli's (M1 &M2) but there are lot of quail and sporting clays that have been put down with them.
Uber reliable and easy to clean with screw-in choke systems.

IMG_7165 copy.JPG
IMG_7210 copy.JPG

Reactions: mtrmn
Benelli SBE3 for me is the best option. The issue is that this shotguns are hard to find. Beretta A400 could be the best option and the pricing is about 1300-1600.
Yeh i was definitely considering the sbe3 however i think i want a gas gun and i am in md right bu the Benelli beretta franchi stoeger plant ao most are easy to find exept the 20 gau a400

Let the record show the thread has pivoted from OP's "20 ga. semi" to break open options.

Now, this Grade IV 24" Browning Citori has shortened the actuarial life spans of some squirrels......also have its 12 ga. sister, one digit difference in serial #. Second barrel rarely needed engagement.

IMG_7170 copy.JPG

Nothing wrong with a semi, I love my Benelli Montefeltro. I also have a Beretta A390 12ga, my two favorite shotguns!

Mike
Squirrels, rabbits, grouse,,,,, whatever small game you want to hunt a 20 ga semi will do great.
Thank u i feel the same

I recently picked up a 20ga Beretta A300 Ultima and have been very impressed. I have a older 20ga Beretta 391 urika (best shooting auto made, just my opinion) and they are extremely similar. I've shot some skeet and sporting with it and I really like the way it shoots. Been 100% with everything but some herters shells I had. I honestly don't think any of my 12 gauges with make it out of the safe this Waterfowl season. If you spend the extra on the A400 you won't be disappointed but the A300 is by no means a compromise.
Thank u very late reply sold my franchi terrible mistake never getting a inertia gun again

Reactions: dzeke
I have a used Browning Citori in 20 gauge that I picked up two years ago.
Lots of fun and a sweet shooter.
Look at O/Us while you’re out shopping there are some nice guns out there