• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Semi auto 22 pistol as Supressor host?

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
Looking for best compromise of most quiet, high capacity, reliability, and RMR ready is a plus.
Yes, I want it all.

Reactions: ManOnFire.308
I like my Mk4 2245 lite. Not an RMR but for about $60 you can't beat it.

IMG_2313 (Small).JPG

Best is relative. For most folks, a Ruger MKIV LITE is your "best" bet, and you can throw more money at upgrading certain parts are you go. Great gun, very reliable, excellent host.

Price-isn't-a-barrier "best" is going to be a Nelson Custom upper sitting on a high end 1911 frame. Really no comparison out there - everything you love about a 1911, at silent, rimfire prices. Accuracy that you have to see to believe. Nothing else comes close.

What do I reach for the most often? A Thompson Contender with a 5.5" MGM barrel. One shot at a time, but a ridiculous amount of fun, and basically no action noise.

Looking for best compromise of most quiet, high capacity, reliability, and RMR ready is a plus.
Yes, I want it all.
With the qualification for an RMR, then you'll want either the new FNH 502, or something with a pic rail on top, like the Ruger MKIV 22/45 Tactical.

I'm considering sending my slide to someone for machining to accept plates to allow me to run a Holosun HS507C-X2 on my setup... It's proven to shoot 5" plates @ 50 yards with irons, I can only imagine with my slowly degrading eyesight, how much more accurate it could be with an RMR on top. 👍🏼

1911 .22LR.jpg

If the budget and wait time allow, Nelson conversion. Also get the steel magazine base

Ruger mark IV is the easiest to get and quiet fun.

My examples of Mark II & IV show that the II is much more accurate. However, it's so much easier to clean it's rediculous.

Reactions: Charger442
You all read the part where the OP requested high capacity, right?

That disqualifies any Ruger, Volquartsen, Browning, S&W, or 1911 conversion.

All that's left that fits ALL of OP's qualifications is the new FN 502 or the Taurus TX22 Competition. The 502 hasn't been on the scene for any long term reports of reliability, even though it is basically just a Walter P22 in a new fancy dress. The Taurus TX22 Competition is a fantastic pistol. I love my TX22...it's a great shooter. 16rd mags, great trigger, and it has been 100% reliable with good quality ammo. Galloway Precision makes a +9 extension, making it a 25rd magazine! The Competition model has the red dot mount covered, plus it does not move with the slide...it's mounted to the fixed barrel.

Reactions: westsidecamper
You all read the part where the OP requested high capacity, right?

That disqualifies any Ruger, Volquartsen, Browning, S&W, or 1911 conversion.

All that's left that fits ALL of OP's qualifications is the new FN 502 or the Taurus TX22 Competition. The 502 hasn't been on the scene for any long term reports of reliability, even though it is basically just a Walter P22 in a new fancy dress. The Taurus TX22 Competition is a fantastic pistol. I love my TX22...it's a great shooter. 16rd mags, great trigger, and it has been 100% reliable with good quality ammo. Galloway Precision makes a +9 extension, making it a 25rd magazine! The Competition model has the red dot mount covered, plus it does not move with the slide...it's mounted to the fixed barrel.
You do know that Nic Taylor sells 16 round upgrades for Kimber 1911 .22LR conversion magazines, right? 16 rounds seems like high-capacity to me. 😏

Reactions: AZ Dan
You do know that Nic Taylor sells 16 round upgrades for Kimber 1911 .22LR conversion magazines, right? 16 rounds seems like high-capacity to me. 😏

Does he make a 25rd magazine, like you can get for the TX22? Kinda makes 16rds seem like low capacity....

Does he make a 25rd magazine, like you can get for the TX22? Kinda makes 16rds seem like low capacity....
No, but that Taurus won't get through all 25 without a hiccup. LOL

I've had some bad experiences with Taurus weapons that belonged to family and friends, and back when I worked at the gun store. Me personally, I've always steered-clear of them based on that.

Reactions: Charger442
My TX22 works flawlessly with the 25rd mags...no hiccups. I've had more stoppages in my Ruger Mk IV, to be honest.

I've worked in the gun industry for 20 years (retail, design, and manufacturing). 5 years ago, I wouldn't have touched a Taurus...but they have come a long way from those days. I still won't touch one of their revolvers, but the semi autos have been better than decent the past few years. I've always said their motto should be "The Only Lifetime Warranty Guaranteed To Need". But, 2 years in, zero issues with my TX22's.

Reactions: westsidecamper
My PPQ-22 was great until I had a kaboom (Aguila) and now, even with new barrel it's just not right. Was great for a few thousand rounds. I'm not 100% sure it's not the "post-covid 22 stash" I've been shooting for even in a rifle I get a lot of misfires - no kabooms though. Its a great trainer and I've toyed with the TX22, but cannot wrap my head around Taurus as I've always viewed Taurus as absolute garbage. So interesting @AZ Dan has had good luck.

I remember when Taurus first introduced the Judge series of revolvers...complete POS from the jump. For every 10 I would sell, 7 would come back to be sent to Taurus for warranty. I mean, real POS stuff...cylinder wouldn't time/lock and could be spun backwards, firing pin piercing primers and completely locking up the gun...bad problems.

Since the intoduction of the G2 series of pistols, they really stepped up their game. It's not just me, the TX22 has widely received high praise from reviews. I know there were some barrel issues at first, but that seems to have been solved. Maybe it's because they are mfg'd here in the USA, but the TX22 has been the best 22lr suppressor host I've had.

I just can't bring myself to buying a Taurus.

I've never once seen them make a semi auto that wasn't a shitshow.
This isn't based on internet babble either. Quite a few personal friends have owned them. Literally every one wouldn't make it through a single mag without choking. Sent back to Taurus numerous times. Never seen them get fixed. I honestly can't fathom how they're still in existence.
I've just seen entirely too many first hand cases, over DECADES, where Taurus is apparently quite content to produce what they know to be a defective product, with absolutely no way of correcting their mistakes.
If they've unfucked themselves, I'll never know it.

Fn 502 is where I'm leaning. High cap, optics ready, and the Walther it's based on is proven. I love the Ruger MKs, and own an older, non threaded model, but the low cap is a turn off.

Last edited:
If you're going Ruger, the Mark II is where they really hit the sweet spot. After that it's constant compromise. Chamber load indicator?mag disconnect? No thanks

Eh, none of my options are high capacity, and few .22lr pistols are. Good luck in the hunt OP.

If you're going Ruger, the Mark II is where they really hit the sweet spot. After that it's constant compromise. Chamber load indicator?mag disconnect? No thanks

The IV does need a trigger kit to be shootable. Get rid of the disconnect (why was that ever a good idea?) and get something less than 8 lbs without the grit.

I'm picking up a 502 Tactical tonight but if you're quick on the reloads, the Ruger Mk series is pretty nice. Here's mine with a Madd Mac's RMR mount:

Mk IV Suppressed Small.jpg

Needs the Volquartsen trigger but other than that, runs like a champ. Sounds amazing with CCI Quiet (~740 FPS) but you need to cycle the action by hand.

I'm picking up a 502 Tactical tonight but if you're quick on the reloads, the Ruger Mk series is pretty nice. Here's mine with a Madd Mac's RMR mount:

View attachment 7733282
Needs the Volquartsen trigger but other than that, runs like a champ. Sounds amazing with CCI Quiet (~740 FPS) but you need to cycle the action by hand.
Like the mount. I changed trigger on mine and it shot as good as the Volquartsen Scorpion I had.

Yes, I want it all.
If you want the fugliest, highest capacity you can’t go wrong with a Keltec CP-33. Decently affordable, threaded barrel, 33 round capacity, front-to-back picatinny rail, and it’s uglier than homemade sin. Personally, I went with a Ruger MK IV 22/45.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
If you want the fugliest, highest capacity you can’t go wrong with a Keltec CP-33. Decently affordable, threaded barrel, 33 round capacity, front-to-back picatinny rail, and it’s uglier than homemade sin. Personally, I went with a Ruger MK IV 22/45.
Agree...On all counts. 👍🏼

Buckmark, stays cleaner since the action is open on both sides.

Not really. Its action is also louder than the Ruger.

I have both, and my Buckmark gets just as filthy shooting suppressed as the Ruger, but the Ruger is quieter. The Buckmark slide rings with each shot, and being open on both sides it allows more ejection port pop. Both are good guns and a couple of the best options out there, but that's the unbiased facts.

Last edited:
Yes, I want it all.
Only gun I can think of that fits all the OP’s parameters is the Ruger Charger. I’ve shot against one that grouped exceedingly well.
5-10-15-25-35-50-100+ drum mags available, brace grips, any sight config, oodles of aftermarket trigger goodies, custom barrels, etc.

My first host was a Walther P22 and I enjoyed that for several years. I then wanted to try something with a different style action so I purchased a Ruger 22/45 Tactical. I really enjoy this pistol a lot more because of the versatility of it and the options to change out barrels and you can't beat the offerings, from Volquartsen.
IMG_20211106_221141948.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6gunner
I've had great luck with my CP33. I know there are plenty of folks with feed issues. Before my first outing I watched a video on ensuring your load it right. Over 500 rounds through it suppressed with a Holosun on top and it's been great. My Mk IV 22/45 with volquartsen trigger upgrades is still my first choice 22 plinker though.

If I were looking to buy a new setup I'd go with the FN 502.

Put a 22 conversion kit on my W. German 226. Came with nice adjustable 3 dot sights, 15 + 1 mags, & threaded barrel + 1/2 x 28 adapter.
Very reliable cycling cci quiet - Velociters. Only drawback to these kits is they have no provision to lock open on last round.

Plenty of meat on the slide if I wanted to add an RMR it'd take about an hr on the mill.
IMG_6635.jpg

I just can't bring myself to buying a Taurus.

I've never once seen them make a semi auto that wasn't a shitshow.
This isn't based on internet babble either. Quite a few personal friends have owned them. Literally every one wouldn't make it through a single mag without choking. Sent back to Taurus numerous times. Never seen them get fixed. I honestly can't fathom how they're still in existence.
I've just seen entirely too many first hand cases, over DECADES, where Taurus is apparently quite content to produce what they know to be a defective product, with absolutely no way of correcting their mistakes.
If they've unfucked themselves, I'll never know it.

Fn 502 is where I'm leaning. High cap, optics ready, and the Walther it's based on is proven. I love the Ruger MKs, and own an older, non threaded model, but the low cap is a turn off.
Man, I feel you but I grabbed a TX22 for shits and giggles back when you could get them for about 199.00 after the rebate and have been thoroughly impressed! I liked it enough to grab a TX22C and it shoots great as well. The upgrades on top of the non reciprocating RMR are nice additions. Heavier profile 5.25" barrel, TFS without the little adapter, and a steel rod in the recoil spring assembly instead of polymer. Probably all to add weight to control the monster muzzle flip! :LOL: Mine with Leopold Delta Pont Pro and a dead air mask on it...
TX22C.jpg

Last edited:
One thing not mentioned here yet is that barrel length should be high on your list of priorities. Specifically, for suppressor use a barrel of about 4” long seems to be ideal; 4” is short enough to keep pretty much all of the common “High Velocity” 22 LR ammo subsonic, while 5+” barrels will cause supersonic crack with some ammo and atmospheric conditions. Longer barrels are much more limited in what ammo works quietly with a suppressor, but you can use any of the common cheap (relatively speaking) stuff with most 4” barrels and not hear any crack.

Looking into a fn.
Took my new mark iv tactical out and 3-4 jams in two mags with cci sv.
Not impressed
I run the same mark IV with my TBAC takedown. Zero hiccups with the federal bulk 36 gr hollowpoint you get from Walmart. The 550 round boxes

I’ll try them.Ill pick some up this week.
Im actually waiting on my 22 takedown,hopefully in the next few months.
I also have a 2 inch threaded upper to try as well.

I’ll try them.Ill pick some up this week.
Im actually waiting on my 22 takedown,hopefully in the next few months.
I also have a 2 inch threaded upper to try as well.
Are you shooting currently with or without a suppressor? If it jams without try cleaning and lubing it. Maybe a different mag? I have a MK IV as my suppressor host and a MK III I think “target” model. Non threaded. Both guns eat anything I’ve thrown at them.

The MK IV makes an awesome host because it has a very small bolt. Which helps reduce noise. It also hits the home run especially in rugers lineup of “easy to takedown” pistols. It really doesn’t get much nicer than this in my opinion for a host. Anyone who’s taken down the older rugers mark series will for sure appreciate this. Makes even more sense when shooting a can and dirty ammo

I love mine. Very accurate as well. I had a red dot on mine but didn’t care for the bulk so went to the open sights and removed the rail. It’s a badass little gun. Having the red dot (if you want one) where it doesn’t weight down moving parts like on top of a slide is critical in reliability when it comes to rimfires

Also keep in mind you don’t need to run subsonics like the CCI SV either. The short barrel on the MK IV won’t achieve supersonic speeds with most regular 22 ammo. The extra power may aid in your reliability as well.

Without
Do these prefer to run a little wet?
I try out some cooler ammo as well.
Definitely lube it. 22 ammo is very dirty and will cause issues with jamming if you run dry. It will either way but dry isn’t great

Took my new mark iv tactical out and 3-4 jams in two mags with cci sv.
Not impressed
You just need a lighter mainspring, or to break it in. MkIVs are usually tuned for bulk High Velocity stuff. Mine screams on SV, but I run a 1 lb lower mainspring since I don't shoot the HV stuff in it very often.

One thing not mentioned here yet is that barrel length should be high on your list of priorities. Specifically, for suppressor use a barrel of about 4” long seems to be ideal; 4” is short enough to keep pretty much all of the common “High Velocity” 22 LR ammo subsonic, while 5+” barrels will cause supersonic crack with some ammo and atmospheric conditions. Longer barrels are much more limited in what ammo works quietly with a suppressor, but you can use any of the common cheap (relatively speaking) stuff with most 4” barrels and not hear any crack.
This is one of the reasons the "super short" MKIVs are pretty popular, because 3" basically guarantees everything is subsonic. But a MKIV is designed to chew through the cheapest, dirtiest, 22 ammo you can find, and shoot it reasonably accurately. For folks looking for other hosts, the Cadillac is a Nelson conversion on a 1911 frame. It would be nice if they eventually offered a Commander length slide. I have the government and it is great with CCI SV. Great is an understatement. It is crazy quiet, crazy accurate, and a blast to shoot. I don't break out my Ruger very often because the nelson is just a ton more pleasant, despite the Ruger being a great pistol.