• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Shooting mat for the price

BaronVonAaron

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2018
Wondering what you all recommend for a quality shooting mat. Not wanting to spend a crazy amount on one. But still want to get quality.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Well guess that was easy, I had been looking at the voodoo tactical one, The Midway looks just as durable at $30 less
I was really surprised with the design, quality of materials, and stitching with the one I received. One of the better value purchases in a long time IMO.

Another vote for the Midway mat...
20191105_100206.jpg

Tab Gear everyday, all day, regardless of place.

Go with the D-ring model instead of the fastex clips. There’s another thread on here, that’s fairly recent, discussing mats so give it a look and you’ll find a bunch of options. ...but if you’re looking for something to use on concrete, snow, grass, or mud, look no further. If you want something lightweight and compact (onlyly slightly larger than a Nalgene bottle), then this is it man. Rolls up small enough to stuff inside of the smallest of daypacks (if needed) or strapped to the outside of a pack without being bulky.

Wondering what you all recommend for a quality shooting mat. Not wanting to spend a crazy amount on one. But still want to get quality.
I have the Midway Padded Half acre. Tri folds. Good for car to firing line but wouldnt want to hike with. So thick and comfortable you could shoot all day and sleep in camp at light. Lol .

Attachments

• 20191205_124347.jpg
    20191205_124347.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 211
Well guess that was easy, I had been looking at the voodoo tactical one, The Midway looks just as durable at $30 less

I own both the voodoo tactical roll up mat and the Midway Pro Competition Series shooting mat. I only keep the voodoo one around in order to let friends borrow it. The Midway mat is my go to shooting mat, and I recommend it to everyone.

After much research, the Crosstac Reecon Shooting Mat fit my needs best.

I have attached an Excel matrix that is Zipped of many "rolled" shooting mats that I created to aid in my decision. Note the cost for each is rounded with the options I was considering so yours may be different. I have also attached a PDF of the Excel matrix if it is easier. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Shooting Mat Rev B.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 201
  • Shooting Mat Rev B.pdf
    203.5 KB · Views: 176
The midway is excellent, but be aware in the scorching Texas sun it gets HOT quickly. But then again what doesn’t ?

when I lived in eastern Washington and shot in the summer heat those light silver thermarest pads were awesome.

they didn’t get scorching hot and insulated You from the scorching hot ground.

in the winter they’re pretty nice as well

I have the Midway Padded Half acre. Tri folds. Good for car to firing line but wouldnt want to hike with. So thick and comfortable you could shoot all day and sleep in camp at light. Lol .

Yup.

I've got the half-acre and the "pro comp" roll-up mats from Midway. I agree about the half-acre. But, most of my shooting... all of it, really... is from "car to firing line." It could double as a "guest bed" at home!

There's a reason the Midway mats are so popular. I see lots of them at the range. But, that's at the RANGE... we're not humping them around..... car to firing line. If portability is an issue, then there are probably others that are far more compact. But, then you may reasonably sacrifice some comfort. But, for your typical static range... portability is not an issue, and you might as well be comfortable. :)

Last edited:

Go with the D-ring model instead of the fastex clips. There’s another thread on here, that’s fairly recent, discussing mats so give it a look and you’ll find a bunch of options. ...but if you’re looking for something to use on concrete, snow, grass, or mud, look no further. If you want something lightweight and compact (onlyly slightly larger than a Nalgene bottle), then this is it man. Rolls up small enough to stuff inside of the smallest of daypacks (if needed) or strapped to the outside of a pack without being bulky.

i have one, and id like it more but my wing span and body size make it too narrow. i think if it was 36" wide, it would be perfect.

The bad about the crosstac recon its only 27 1/2" wide, and the precision shooting mat is like carrying around another gun case, as it doesnt roll, but folds up into a 36" x 20" rectangle. too much to haul around. and its $200.

The midways are very nice, but still pretty bulky when rolled up. there are several options of them and i bet there is one that can get down to be the smallest of their offering.

i may sell my TAB and give the Eberlestock Magic Carpet unpadded a try. At 8' long and 34" wide, it seems to be the best of what i would want. and at only $50, it gets you down near the bottom option of the MIdway is, and cheaper than their pro series.

Midway mat if you can get it on one of their sales. That is a good deal. Otherwise I bought, literally, the cheapest one I could find on Amazon. They work OK, and I really don't give a shit when I borrow them out at NRL matches and people stick their spike feet right into the mat. I think it was this one: https://www.amazon.com/NcSTAR-VISM-Roll-Shooting-Mat/dp/B01A3NC2CC?th=1. Its not fancy, but it works and I can get 2+ mats for the cost of one of the others. Biggest thing for me is IDGAF about other people using them and jamming the spike bipod feet into the mat.

I second this, I have had the TAB Gear Pollok mat w/ D-rings for about 4 years and love it. Light enough to carry around in the backpack. Padding for your elbows, but nothing else. Everything you need but nothing you dont. Also can be used as a tarp to repel water from your equipment or backpack.

TAB Gear for me as well 90% of the time, unless I am feeling like a real bitch (no offense to anyone else, just me needing pampering), and/or I want to balance my espresso on my mat, i'll bring this heavier padded mat from Savior:

Last edited:
After much research, the Crosstac Reecon Shooting Mat fit my needs best.

I have attached an Excel matrix that is Zipped of many "rolled" shooting mats that I created to aid in my decision. Note the cost for each is rounded with the options I was considering so yours may be different. I have also attached a PDF of the Excel matrix if it is easier. Hope this helps.

I just downloaded and reviewed the PDF. Thank you for sharing your research! As you mentioned, it really aids in helping one find a product that meets their needs.

Reactions: DustBun
I second this, I have had the TAB Gear Pollok mat w/ D-rings for about 4 years and love it. Light enough to carry around in the backpack. Padding for your elbows, but nothing else. Everything you need but nothing you dont. Also can be used as a tarp to repel water from your equipment or backpack.

I have one as well and your comments could be mine. +1

I've been using a Blackhawk Pro mat for about 8 years now. I wash it once a year to get all of the sweat out of it (welcome to Texas summers). Still looks practically new. Does what it's supposed to do I suppose. I have a lot of custom tailored stuff too.

Before that I used a simple Midway mat.

I have ColeTac matt with all the extra, love it.
Really light, made with Cordura and it is durable as h..l.
Mine is made in Latvia, since i am from Finland (EU),
But US/CANADA customers, it is made in USA.

I've got 2 different padded Midway mats and use the crap out of both of them (3 different shooters) and have no complaints.

I just downloaded and reviewed the PDF. Thank you for sharing your research! As you mentioned, it really aids in helping one find a product that meets their needs.
I'm glad it was helpful. There are so many options that I had to put it in some format that I could sort and filter.

I love my Midway mats and use it for local matches. I'll be flying out for a multi-day training and the midway mat is just too big to pack, so I've been shopping for a new mat.

Right now it's between the Armageddon Gear Ultralight Mat and the Tab Gear Pollock Mat. It looks like the Armageddon mat is a little more padded and while it's not as compact, it will fit my luggage. Anyone have any experience with that mat? I noticed it wasn't mentioned at all in this thread.

Midway on sale. $35 for a nice padded mat.

I don't see the point of carrying around a piece of cordura. The rubber back and foam keep me dry and comfy.

I don't carry anything other than the range. If I'm hunting I have the gear on to keep me warm and dry already.

Been some great TAB deals in the PX past couple days.

This mat looks like it would keep my old bones very well protected.Thank You

The fat mats rule on snow....Mine is a US Peacekeeper.

Every where else I use a TAB roll up and love it. Unless you have a dead calm always stake your mat down unless you enjoy seeing your rifle go for a magic carpet ride.

when I lived in eastern Washington and shot in the summer heat those light silver thermarest pads were awesome.

they didn’t get scorching hot and insulated You from the scorching hot ground.

in the winter they’re pretty nice as well

Thermarest ftw been using same one for 20 years. They’re also very benign looking.

C2696FA7-29A8-4697-95EB-10CFF6C43309.jpeg

C7EEDEA0-8D6D-4970-B7DB-F3BF93828089.jpeg

Got the armageddon mat. I noticed the padding is only 1/8" padding where the torso, elbows would be on the ground. I added some paracord for bipod loading.

Feels pretty good. It is super duper compact, but padding is enough for the elbows. No padding on the leg area.

1589576916862.png

I dig the Armageddon. Minimalistic but gets the job done. If you can drive everywhere you shoot, it's tough to argue with the midway mat. It's just huge.

I have used the MidwayUSA mat for over 5 years now. It unrolls, I lay on it, shoot, roll it back up, and throw it in the back of my truck.

It’s comfortable and hard to beat for the price.

Reactions: Steel head
per recommendation of this thread, i purchased the midway usa mat. other than lay on it on the dining room floor, haven't used it yet. however, first impression is it's a good mat and a good value. Only time will tell if the "cushioning" breaks down from my fat ass laying on it.

Reactions: db2000
I dig the Armageddon. Minimalistic but gets the job done. If you can drive everywhere you shoot, it's tough to argue with the midway mat. It's just huge.

I see what your saying
If your hiking to your shooting spot, Armageddon all the way. Maybe even bring some light elbow pads