• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Best shot ever

MidRangeCrisis

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Aug 22, 2020
    Clarksville, TN
    What's your best shot?

Mine is with a Henry lever gun with 22 CB Long on a nickel sized spinner at 60 yards offhand from my back porch under duress.

My father in law bet me I couldn't shoot better than him when I was dating his daughter and proceeded to demonstrate his prowess by shooting a 3" spinner across the yard from a rest with 22 Standard-Vel out of a scoped Glenfeild 60. I chided him for his loud gun (it was a not exactly rural area) and loaded 5 rounds of CB long in a Henry 22 Carbine. Racked it slick, took a breath and lined up the shot. The little target spun like it had been whacked by a 300 WM and I got the girl with his blessing.

That was 22 years ago. Still got her.

I've made longer shots with more on the line with better equipment in weirder places since then but that one is still my best shot.

Hard to believe...
    Crow on top of telephone pole.
    With a Beeman Tempest .177 pellet pistol.
    Same pellet pistol,,.22 lr case standing on end. That was from 50 yd line,,Gunny couldn t do it,,and he was a NRA Service Distinguish Pistol shooter.
    In the waaayyy back time while on Camp Pendleton Rifle / Pistol TM

Robin on the fly in the head with a Wrist Rocket using a cherry pit when I was 10..... remember feeling really bad as it was the first thing I'd ever killed. :sneaky:

Hard to believe...
    Crow on top of telephone pole.
    With a Beeman Tempest .177 pellet pistol.
    Same pellet pistol,,.22 lr case standing on end. That was from 50 yd line,,Gunny couldn t do it,,and he was a NRA Service Distinguish Pistol shooter.
    In the waaayyy back time while on Camp Pendleton Rifle / Pistol TM
    Them range chickens at Edson are no joke...seen one cary off a double-rat recruit.

Incidentally, a cleaning rod may or may not still be lodged in the top two feet of a pole on Camp Pendleton. Blanks are not a toy.

Robin on the fly in the head with a Wrist Rocket using a cherry pit when I was 10..... remember feeling really bad as it was the first thing I'd ever killed. :sneaky:
    Drilled a dove off the top gable at my folks place with a CO2 BB revolver once. Felt bad since it died for nothing more than the LOLZ. Good shot. Wasted kill.

I feel you.

Fox at 135 yds with an open sighted Marlin single shot .22 that i never shot before. Right through the heart

Reactions: MidRangeCrisis
    Fox at 135 yds with an open sighted Marlin single shot .22 that i never shot before. Right through the heart
    Shot placement is everything. Popped a jackrabbit at 70 yards with some Velociters after it had been "slowed down" by a basically point blank shot with a Mini-14.

Same shooter as the first story BTW. We've shot a lot at the same targets.

1. Black bird flying toward me about 30 yards away with a 1991A1.
    2. Dog walking about 500 yards away with an old school muzzle loader with iron sights.

Damn dude that's some AAtticus Finch like marksmanship! 500 anything with a muzzleloader is plenty.

A coworker through the crack of the door down a hall, through the office door, and between two computer monitors for a headshot. Estimated range 14 yards. My weapon of choice, a toothpick crossbow with an eraser for added weight. He never saw it coming... straight Up sicario.

Attachments

• CEF785C9-7575-4E1D-8877-54A638E1CCF7.png
      CEF785C9-7575-4E1D-8877-54A638E1CCF7.png
      2.5 MB · Views: 99
    Snap shot the center out of a thrown clay with an iron sighted CAR-15. Second would be tossing a Quarter in the air and hitting it with a .22 Short fired from a S&W K-22. Hard to find places to safely do that kind of shooting where I'm at anymore.

The guy who taught me the McGivern style shooting could reliably toss a fired .22 Short case in the air and hit it.

Snap shot the center out of a thrown clay with an iron sighted CAR-15. Second would be tossing a Quarter in the air and hitting it with a .22 Short fired from a S&W K-22. Hard to find places to safely do that kind of shooting where I'm at anymore.

The guy who taught me the McGivern style shooting could reliably toss a fired .22 Short case in the air and hit it.
    Tried doing pistol-shot shooting on bugs brought in by fruit once. Don't think I've ever had the skills to shoot a flying quarter with a 22 though; good shooting!

Prairie Dog at 780 with my 6XC. Not super impressive to this crowd I'll admit, but everytime I tell a fudd that story they think I'm Chris Kyle. 1000 yard prairie dog confirmed kill is on my bucket list.
    Goals are important and reactive targets are more fun anyhow.

I have in mind some ELR shooting but in the end I know it's mostly just clever math and expensive gear and ideal conditions on a big steel plate.

Whacking a ground rat at 1000 is a worth goal.

Dad could hit thrown, not tossed, shot shell hulls with a marlin 22 mid air.
    Uncle Chuck could hit 50 cent pieces with same.
    Uncle Chuck used to ask us which side we wanted hit, he knew he had a 50% chance of being right.

R

A coworker through the crack of the door down a hall, through the office door, and between two computer monitors for a headshot. Estimated range 14 yards. My weapon of choice, a toothpick crossbow with an eraser for added weight. He never saw it coming... straight Up sicario.
    that reminds me...i hung out at a marine supply place my buddy worked at, and we use a 4' length of stainless tubing as a blowgun.
    amazingly accurate with a simple "dart" made from a nail and paper cone like this.
    image-17.png

Best shot: I walked in my bosses office ten years ago. He said don’t tell me you are quitting, I said ok, then gave it to him on a piece of paper. Ha, not what you thought.

Goals are important and reactive targets are more fun anyhow.

I have in mind some ELR shooting but in the end I know it's mostly just clever math and expensive gear and ideal conditions on a big steel plate.

Whacking a ground rat at 1000 is a worth goal.

Yes, there is something particularly satisfying about 'sterminating at such distance that you can't detect the offensive rodent without glass.

Been putting off getti g the Bug-a-salt in play. I got a supply of kosher, pickling, himalayan, low sodium substitute, iodized crystal, and sea salt. Got any load data?

I'm using about 1500 grains of Morton. My chargemaster can't weigh Morton to the individual grain, so I'm using a Harrels. Morton meters better than sea salt, and I'm not Jewish so I don't bother paying for Kosher.

60mm handheld hipshot, 1200M at night into defilade, HE Quick. All that was left at the POI was a foot. Taught those pricks not to swiss cheese my ride ever again.🖕

Oh, you mean with a rifle... 😜
    15 year old me aced a groundhog through the neck at 270 with a Marlin 80G .22, iron sights.
    Seeing a lot of Marlin .22s on this thread, maybe there's some truth to that micro-groove rifling.

Asked the dad of the girl I was dating if I could deer hunt on his 150 acres of timber surrounded by corn.
    he said, if you can hit this coffee can with a slug from my slug gun after I place it in the pasture, sure. You city kids don’t know how to shoot.
    So he walked off, crossed the creek, walked so more. Turned and looked at me. Walked some more and set in a cow pile, open end towards me. Did his best to pace it off on the way back. Said it was about 80 yards.
    His slug gun was a savage mdl 24 in .22/20ga.
    i asked if I could lean against the porch post. He said sure, if you think it will help.
    I’d never shot this shotgun before.
    I leaned up against the post, took a breath, let it out and fired the shot.
    nailed it about 2” off center.

that was the beginning of a pretty good relationship with the guy who became my father in law.

Last edited:
    60mm handheld hipshot, 1200M at night into defilade, HE Quick. All that was left at the POI was a foot. Taught those pricks not to swiss cheese my ride ever again.🖕

Oh, you mean with a rifle... 😜
    15 year old me aced a groundhog through the neck at 270 with a Marlin 80G .22, iron sights.
    Seeing a lot of Marlin .22s on this thread, maybe there's some truth to that micro-groove rifling.

Never a mortarman but I was pretty handy with a 203. Put a few through upper floor windows from across the street and high angled a shot into the backside of a street barricade. I was within 5m. Pretty handy with illum too but that was just training.

Shooting a 60 in assault mode is high on my list of things to do before I die. Might be just before but hey, gotta die of something; make it interesting.

I hit a hadj dirt shithouse with a 203 grenade. Watched it hit the side of it, punch through and before I could even think it blew the entire thing as well as shit 20 feet in the air.

Best (worst?) part was that I wasn't aiming for it.
    Like Vin Diesel says, a win is a win.

Never a mortarman but I was pretty handy with a 203. Put a few through upper floor windows from across the street and high angled a shot into the backside of a street barricade. I was within 5m. Pretty handy with illum too but that was just training.

Shooting a 60 in assault mode is high on my list of things to do before I die. Might be just before but hey, gotta die of something; make it interesting.
    It's easier than it sounds... I coulda missed by 16 meters in any direction and still gotten the job done. Dropping them danger close... well, that's an instant chubby for the bucket list.

was on the verandah one afternoon and at about 150m was a magpie. unbeknown to me one of the old mans mates was watching while the old man and one of his other mates were arguing over something. i took a shot at the magpie with my 17hmr and cracked it right in the chest. it spread both wings out and bowed down as if it was to pray. as i turned around the old mans mate told me that if he didn't see it with his own eyes he wouldn't of believed it. i surprised myself also, all the stars must of just lined up right as i pulled the trigger cause i haven't been able to do that shot again.

I have 2. 289 yards on a groundhog with a Ruger 77/17. There was no wind. And a 200 yard shot on a running white tail, off hand, crossing a power line. I used the telephone poles to get my range. They were spaced 50 yards apart. Dropped her with the 300 WBY.

The 2 I know of is one of mine and one of my brothers.

I was 15 years old and just got a Remington 700 sps varmint In 243 win topped with a vortex viper 6.5-20x44mm. I was out with my moose hunting group sitting in the rifles (7 of us, myself, my best friend, my little brother and 4 guys at 45 years old or older). They were talking about there farthest shot, and how far they could shoot (200-300 yards). I mentioned people shoot 600-1000 on the regular or further and out came the arguments. “It’s impossible, you can’t see that far, blah blah blah”. Well we set up a target at 600 yards and we drop back to the other side of the field and everyone got 3 shots. You could see the dirt kicking up at like 300-400 yards as they all shot. I pulled up my app on my phone, punched in my factory federal 80gr soft points at the time, and fired 3 shots on a 24”x24” cardboard with 2 8.5x11 printer paper on it and to everyone’s disbelief, I had the ugliest 2 shot group on paper with the 3rd barely on cardboard! That’s what started my addiction.

My brothers was when he was young. Maybe 7-8 years a old. It was Christmas holidays and we had 1.5 feet of snow with a big drift beside our house. Well my brother grabbed my air soft shotgun with the plastic round pellets that don’t fly worth a crap outside and hunkered in the drift waiting for birds and squirrels to come to the feeder. My dad drinking coffee in the kitchen starts laughing and as my mom comes around the corner to see what he’s laughing at, my brother to everyone’s surprise hits and kills a bird. You could hear my mom scream from the next country road over, and she ran out in her bath robe and dragged him inside by his ear!!

Guy was waterskiing through my fishing area right after dawn. Lit and launched a bottle rock underhanded at the skier about 40 yards out. Bottle rocket lodged under his right armpit and exploded knocking him off his ski. Boat came and scooped him up and they left. Fishing resumed....

We were packing up the dove decoys. My son was about 8. He came back and said he couldn't reach the dove decoys on a tree branch. I turned around and quick drew cowboy style my S&W 686 .357 and shot the branch down about 40 yards away. I remember the look on everyones face as I slowly reholstered and went back to packing. Sometimes it is better to be lucky!

We were packing up the dove decoys. My son was about 8. He came back and said he couldn't reach the dove decoys on a tree branch. I turned around and quick drew cowboy style my S&W 686 .357 and shot the branch down about 40 yards away. I remember the look on everyones face as I slowly reholstered and went back to packing. Sometimes it is better to be lucky!

Graceful execution is about 75% of the battle. Excellent poker face!

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Reactions: NCLR224 and Jimmay
    I have two: not sure which one was the best

1 - shooting a 7SAUM at Ridgway VBR shot one during sight in I knocked the swinger over cuz it flipped it pretty hard. So I told my spotter I was going to shoot for the pivot on the 3/8ths bar about a 1/2" piece of metal. and then I hit it dead on at 950 yards.
    2 - I was at my friends property and we were doing some long testing (Long for PA) we set up and found a nice spot we could hit 1800 yards. As I am getting ready with the 300WSM a turkey walks down from the wood line and starts to dust itself. ranged 1804 and shot at it (honestly didn't think anything about it since it was cold bore and that gun was never shot over 1000 til then. Welp I held 8.5 MOA of wind and smashed it.

Popped a neighbor kid on the noggin with a thrown rock, while he was peaking from behind a telephone pole. Had to be 25-30 paces (kid paces). Never liked that kid.