• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Best shot ever

Popped a neighbor kid on the noggin with a thrown rock, while he was peaking from behind a telephone pole. Had to be 25-30 paces (kid paces). Never liked that kid.
Reminds me of that Ozzyman review of the 8 year old kid getting aced in the face during paintball.

I have two: not sure which one was the best

1 - shooting a 7SAUM at Ridgway VBR shot one during sight in I knocked the swinger over cuz it flipped it pretty hard. So I told my spotter I was going to shoot for the pivot on the 3/8ths bar about a 1/2" piece of metal. and then I hit it dead on at 950 yards.
2 - I was at my friends property and we were doing some long testing (Long for PA) we set up and found a nice spot we could hit 1800 yards. As I am getting ready with the 300WSM a turkey walks down from the wood line and starts to dust itself. ranged 1804 and shot at it (honestly didn't think anything about it since it was cold bore and that gun was never shot over 1000 til then. Welp I held 8.5 MOA of wind and smashed it.
Tough call but I gotta go with the turkey. Moving target, limited exposure, etc. Plus twice the distance and I mean it was like 3 seconds between the decision to shoot and the turkey's to stay put long enough to get shot.

Reactions: dragman
Tough call but I gotta go with the turkey. Moving target, limited exposure, etc. Plus twice the distance and I mean it was like 3 seconds between the decision to shoot and the turkey's to stay put long enough to get shot.
Yeah I think the target might have been the better im calling it skill the Turkey was definably the luckier of the two for sure though. That was also the first time I shot over 1100 yards. at like 7 seconds I was actually telling my buddy I didn't even come close enough to see the splash when it hit it.

I have a few of these
A young gopher about 1.75" wide standing at 475 yards with 223 55g varmaggedon the reticle covered the gopher on that shot

Was out playing with a new lever action 22 one day and came across a raven flying 10 or 15 yards away so naturally i had to shoot it. Had to hit the thing twice before it fell

Reactions: MidRangeCrisis
I have a few of these
A young gopher about 1.75" wide standing at 475 yards with 223 55g varmaggedon the reticle covered the gopher on that shot

Was out playing with a new lever action 22 one day and came across a raven flying 10 or 15 yards away so naturally i had to shoot it. Had to hit the thing twice before it fell

I shot a finch on the wing with a Crosman 2100 once. Pretty good shot but what made it cooler was that a juvenile falcon had been tracking the finch and snapped it up mid air right after I popped it. He did a wingflash and took off. Very cool bird and I'm glad I fed him.

Reactions: Boon20
Out in the woods, we saw a grey squirrel on an old fence with vegetation over growth out about 70 yards, ran up to about 35 yrds and leaned against a tree, fired 1 shot of the Remington subsonic out of the 10/22 with suppressor and Tac Solutions barrel. Squirrel falls over. Friends catch up to me and asked if I had hit it. I replied "yes". Then one friend says "no you didn't, its still there!" I look at the fence and sure enough a squirrel is standing up again. Dumbfounded at what had just happened, but no matter, we will shoot that little bugger again. I take aim, and again the squirrel is hit and falls over. Everyone sees this. We walk over to the now dead squirrel, but once we get there we see 2 bodies. "Oh" I said. "See I did hit the first squirrel, there were two of them that's why." Upon closer examination, the squirrel I hit first was a male, definitely a male. Him and his what could only be described little red rocket was fully erect. His girl friend was the second squirrel who was probably laying over when I had hit her boyfriend with the 22 slug, when he fell over, she must have stood up wondering what happened.

True story.

I hit a hadj dirt shithouse with a 203 grenade. Watched it hit the side of it, punch through and before I could even think it blew the entire thing as well as shit 20 feet in the air.

Best (worst?) part was that I wasn't aiming for it.
Weren't you though...

Out in the woods, we saw a grey squirrel on an old fence with vegetation over growth out about 70 yards, ran up to about 35 yrds and leaned against a tree, fired 1 shot of the Remington subsonic out of the 10/22 with suppressor and Tac Solutions barrel. Squirrel falls over. Friends catch up to me and asked if I had hit it. I replied "yes". Then one friend says "no you didn't, its still there!" I look at the fence and sure enough a squirrel is standing up again. Dumbfounded at what had just happened, but no matter, we will shoot that little bugger again. I take aim, and again the squirrel is hit and falls over. Everyone sees this. We walk over to the now dead squirrel, but once we get there we see 2 bodies. "Oh" I said. "See I did hit the first squirrel, there were two of them that's why." Upon closer examination, the squirrel I hit first was a male, definitely a male. Him and his what could only be described little red rocket was fully erect. His girl friend was the second squirrel who was probably laying over when I had hit her boyfriend with the 22 slug, when he fell over, she must have stood up wondering what happened.

True story.
Coitus Interuptus.

that reminds me...i hung out at a marine supply place my buddy worked at, and we use a 4' length of stainless tubing as a blowgun.
amazingly accurate with a simple "dart" made from a nail and paper cone like this.
image-17.png
I used to make the exact thing when bord at work. I took it home and set up a backstop make out of a phone book for the kids to use. My Wife didnt find it funny that we were shooting from the dinning room, into the kitchen.

Reactions: Barneybdb
I was 20 feet up in a tree stand deer hunting in November close to the Canadian border. It was below zero and wind was 25 to 30mph. The tree was moving so much I was afraid I was going to fall off the tree stand. I was so cold I was starting to feel my body shake involuntarily. I saw 3 deer running. I had to stand up and shoot freehand within a couple seconds. I had picked out the buck, got the crosshairs on him and squeezed off the shot. It was a 385 yard snap shot. I saw the deer drop and not move. It was a 30-06 I borrowed from my father-in-law. I didn't know much about guns then but I knew enough to clean it, buy a box of ammo, and sight it in at 100 yards before I went on the hunt. I had never owned a gun. My only shooting experience had been with a Crossman pump air rifle I secretly bought with my own money when I was 13. My crazy mother didn't allow "guns". I had never been hunting until my father in law invited me.

Ruger Single Six .22 LR.
Set up three cans at 25 yards down range, about a foot apart from each other. I aimed and fired at the middle can, which I did not hit, however both cans on each side fell over with holes in them.
My 13 yr. old son was amazed and frankly so was I.
I told him that happened because I was twice as good as anyone else! ;)

Arrived at the 100m range for a club shoot with a few other guys. A magpie was digging for bugs in the backstop. As I got my .22 out for the shoot, one guy says "Bet you can't hit that magpie."

One shot, standing, with an old Anshutz 1400 with a cheap 4X scope, I hit it and sent feathers flying. Calls of "Lucky" "Tin arse", "Fluke", etc from the rest of my club members.

I was 9 years old in the middle of an Illinois blizzard. I tracked a pheasant through the snow for a 1/2 mile. Finally pushed him out into a cut bean field. Wind was about 112 mph from a 9 year olds perspective. The cock bird would run, then get blown ass over tea kettle, regain its feet and go another few yards and get blown over again (can you say "serpentine, serpentine").
I fired a single shot from my .22 rifle and dumped him. About 40 yards. I was almost about to lose sight because of the blowing snow. All or nothing. The perfectly placed round took him through the neck where it meets the head.
I have made many pretty good shots in my life but this one tops it all.

Back in medic school I worked nights, 4p-4a, so I'd get home around 5 dead tired.

There was this crow, a particularly loud and obnoxious crow that would loudly caw every 10 seconds or so, and he was always perched at the top of a tree in the neighbors back yard. To make things worse the neighbors had a dog, who would bark non stop at this effing bird. It was seriously cutting into my sleep time and it had gone on for weeks.

I got an air rifle, took the scope and rings off my 22, learned online how to adjust down the parallax and how to account for the angle to this bird and got some match pellets. This was back before youtube and all of that.

So one morning at dawn this crow is up there And I finally get a shot off. I figured I had missed and then heard a loud thwack. I must have hit him in the head or neck. So he starts falling through all of the branches and the neighbors dog was going nuts.

The last time I saw this bird, was as it fell off the lower branches and I see the neighbors dog catch it falling.

Well it turns out this was a sentry crow, because like a scene out of the birds or something dozens of crows take to the sky loudly cawing and circling around the tree.

I called up my buddy who also worked nights all excited and he's like wtf is all that cawing in the background?

For the next several weeks when I was outside or even in town, these birds would start screaming if they saw me.

that reminds me...i hung out at a marine supply place my buddy worked at, and we use a 4' length of stainless tubing as a blowgun.
amazingly accurate with a simple "dart" made from a nail and paper cone like this.
image-17.png
Green Teeth Jimmy made one of these with a piece of copper pipe, and cut off wire clothes hanger. He used them on targets until he thought he was a pretty good shot. He could sink a sharpened dart into the edge of a 2x4 about two inches deep. When he told me what he planned, I strongly suggested that he not try, as it could only turn out bad. But, NOOOO.
We went under the mangroves where we had a bunch of picnic tables (the mangroves had been trimmed to make a canopy by the artificial beach), one night.
Jimmy's plan was to nail a raccoon, for a documented kill. When we drove the pick-up under the canopy, the coons ran up into the overhead, and sat there hissing at us, or looking us over with beady eyes. Jimmy's job was cleaning up the knocked over trash cans each morning so he had a visceral hate for these animals.
I sat to one side, out from under the canopy, shined the light, and waited. Jimmie walked under, and chose a huge male, that was about 10 feet above him, growling deep in it's chest, and hissing at him. Jimmy raised the tube, which was 4 feet long, the end about two feet from the animal. Couldn't possibly miss. It hunkered and gave out a long hiss, warily. Jimmy took a big breath and huffed the dart deep into the animal's chest.
The coon arched upwards, and fell from the tree, raging, all four feet outstretched. The huge raccoon landed full on Jimmy's upturned face, and wrapped its arms and legs around his head, raking at his face, bitting and snarling the whole time. Jimmy turned and thrashed, and beat at the animal with the blow gun and his fist, finally falling to the ground, kicking and rolling. The animal never let go, and kept up a good fight the entire time.
Finally,Jimmy broke free! He rolled toward me, blood streaming from multiple cuts on his face and neck, one ear torn badly, his nose torn open at the right nostril, his hands cut and scratched. The back of his neck and shirt was covered in liquid raccoon shit. The raccoon scampered off into the underbrush, while the others (at least 10) in the trees kept up a constant din of chittering and low growls.
Jimmy sat up and turned to face me. Deep sobs wracked his chest as he cried out, "Why didn't you help me?"
I said, " I thought you were winning for a little while there!"
We repaired to the residence building, where I patched up his poor head, and then loaded him up onto the big county boat for the ride over to the mainland, and a quick trip to the ER in Miami.
Elliot Key, FL, way back in 1972 when it was a County Park.

When I was twelve my neighbor and I were walking around with my bb gun. I saw two dove and tried to sneak up on them. They flew before I got to them, but I took a crack shot anyway. Nailed one and had it for dinner that night. It was real lucky.
Leaned how to pluck and clean a bird that day too.

^^^ The way you started this story, I pictured a complete "sword swallowing" event!
It could have easily been. As soon as he blew the first dart, he lowered the tube, and was fishing to put another dart in for a followup, while keeping his head up to watch his quarry. In those few split seconds, the raccoon landed full on his face, and the fight was ON!
When I see my Grandikds, they always ask me to tell the story about GreenTeeth Jimmy.

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Was bored at my parents house and throwing hickory nuts over the two story roof. My wife walked out the door and BONK. Never again, if I know whats good for me.

Not real long range, but mp5 clone, suppressed, mro red dot put a squirrel down at 80 yards through one eye and out the other. I got pics, if this place will host them, wouldn’t earlier , nope “file to big” meh

So Ill give you guys another one, less fun than the haj shit house, but still good.

Parents live up north and there is no shooting in their subdivision. Yet they have a rediculous amount of grey squirrels that basically destroy the back yard plants and bird feeders. Dad got some sort of air rifle that you pump and had some Tasco or Leapers or whatever the fuck it was scope that came with it. I remember seeing the scope the first time and almost fainting.

Squirells weren't difficult as they were used to running around freely in the back and shots out of the patio door were easy. However, one year my dad had mentioned an event taking place almost every day to what he referred to as 'crazy bird'. I forget what type of bird it was, but it would show up in the front yard where dad parked his truck and do this weird jumping manuever to where it would jump up on the bumper, perch there, then jump up on the hood, back to the bumper and sometimes back to the ground. Then repeat the whole thing a number of times. Crazy bird would come back and do this multiple times a week.

Dad had tried to get a shot at it with the airgun but could never get close enough, nor have a good angle at the shot as it would always be with the truck directly behind the bird ontop of crazy bird constantly being on the move.

Went to visit and crazy bird made an appearance after the second or third day. You had to witness this thing to believe it. It was real life trolling and in the process scratching the truck up. After watching him go at it on the truck for a while, I made a plan as to how I was going to get him for the old man. The only possible shot was when he jumped on the ground, and in front of the truck, but any angle from the house made that impossible. When he wasn't around I went and used a LRF from a position behind/in a bush to the side of the house giving me a perpendicular shot at him, but the distance for an air rifle was basically ELR territory. Went in the back and zero'd the scope (which didn't have anything resembeling actual tracking) at that distance on a cardboard cutout while dad watched and knew what I was up to and just patiently waited for me to get everything squared away. Then we put everyone on alert to watch for crazy bird but to not go outside when he showed.

Later that afternoon he came again. Did the same fucking dance he always did. I went out the back and crawled around the side of the house with the air gun and a make shift shooting rest, and low crawled through the neighbors yard to get behind/in my FFP bush without crazy bird even seeing anything. Remember, no shooting as well as being in a not gun friendly area, I literally had to plan routes.

Got the gun up and set, and watched his behaviors with a hope of timing him if he got into a rhythm. I saw when he hoped on the ground, he'd land in the same spot twice for a few seconds each time. Put the reticle on that spot and waited....waited....there he is...bang (or actually, Pop!). Perfect follow through, no bird in the reticle, no bird on the vehicle. Had to be a hit.

Walk in the back and dad is there. He tells me I missed him. I'm like no fucking way. We go outside...no bird. Must have flown off after the shot. Shit.

Dad makes fun of me with 'so much for like that 30 million dollars or whatever they spent training you' LOL

I remember how pissed I was at blowing that shot, even though it had to be the timing and ToF that fucked me. We all go to dinner that night, back out of the driveway, and wait a second.....theres a dead bird in the driveway.

Fucker took that pellet in the chest and go blasted into the undercarriage of the truck.

Had this fly land on my target... smoked him at 108 yards, my dad still laughs about it. He watched in his spotting scope

Attachments

• IMG_20130422_100606_540 (1).jpg
    IMG_20130422_100606_540 (1).jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Davo308 and 6.5SH
During an Appleseed Project history lesson, I had a chance to shoot the Brown Bess smoothbore musket. The trigger pull was reported to be around 25 lbs. Some of the more adventurous shooters took turns shooting it at the ”Red coat” paper target at 25 yards. When it was my turn, I aimed at the smallest thing that I could make out on the target, Morgan’s shingle. After the smoke cleared, there was a hole punched at the lower half of what a scaled target of a shingle at 250 yards would have been. The instructors were a bit befuddled and lots of backslapping ensued but I had no clue on what I had accomplished.

Later during the Appleseed event, I learned that this was how General Daniel Morgan chose his Morgan’s Rifleman during the Revolutionary War but they used a Kentucky Long Rifle.

It was the luckiest, best, and most proud shot I’ve made.

Epilogue: That weekend, I earned my Rifleman badge but more importantly, all 6 of us in the family learned about American Revolutionary history, importance of 2A, weapon safety, fundamentals of marksmanship, and had some memorable fun moments.

YMMV, happy shooting.

WE were using shotguns to shoot at clay birds one day & a guy shows me the end of a shell & says I got $5 you can't hit a bird with this. I saw it was a slug & told him I wasn't betting.
He says you don't have to bet I'll just pay you if you do hit it. I slapped the shell in the gun & said pull! The bird broke at my shot. He accused me of switching shells, I ejected it & handed the empty slug hull too him, held out my hand, & said; ain't no thing, give me my 5 bitch. You should have seen the look on his face.

I turned & walked away thinking, how in the hell did I do that? No way I would've gone double or nothin.

8 year old me was absolutely deadly with my .22 cal Benjamin Sheridan pellet rifle, crow in the head two telephone poles away- about 10-102 yards- wood chuck in eye at 60 yards peaking at us from pasture rock pile.
Running rat in corn crib in the eye with corn still in his mouth.
And with a 50 cal front stuffer on a running doe at every bit of 200 yards with my dad and uncles and all their pals watching at the beginning of a deer drive .
but best one ever was a toothpick into a cup flicked at about 30 paces dead center. Had about 4 guys betting a case of beer each on that shot!