• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Shotgun for Home Defense ??

Re: Best Shotgun for Home Defense ??

I use a duplicate of the M1014, which is a Benelli M4 with a collapsible buttstock and magazine extension. If it's something I'm most likely to use in an actual home invasion, price is not a primary limiting factor.

Semi-auto, 8rnd mag, pistolgrip, and the buttstock allows you to negotiate corners without a long barrel marking your presence. It also comes standard with tritium ghost-ring sights, which I've found are very easy to use.

I've been on firing lines cycling different types of ammo, and have yet to see the first malfunction. If you're willing to drop the cash, I don't think there's a better weapon for close-quarters engagement (the thing's worthless if your target is 75M away).

Remington 870 in the truck, Mossberg 500 next to the bed and Win. model 12 in the garage.

Each with an m4 stock and side saddles for extra rounds: Zombies are everywhere man...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RX7-2nr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I'd steer clear of PG shotguns for home defense. Even up close it is <span style="text-decoration: underline">extremely</span> easy to miss.</div></div>

ive got an 870 HD with a speedfeed pistol grip stock on it. it points easier for me with the pistol grip. if youve shot with it before, youll know how to aim it. if you go from a traditional stock to the PG, odds are you wont hit where you think.

DSC02081.jpg
</div></div>

I meant the pistol grip with no stock, like the AOW I posted. You're right about PG w/a full stock is quite comfortable and points naturally for me too. My reloads are a little quicker with a traditional stock. Sorry for the confusion.

I like pumps due to training but I have a Benelli Super 90, a mossberg 590, but what I reach for going in the woods or house is my old Remington police 870 express. I just feel at home with it, and it does everything I need it to.

For those saying the AR15 is the better option, or a 12 gauge is the way to go, I am wondering -- have any of you shot your weapon at night, indoors, after your eyes are adjusted to the night and your ears are sensitive to sound? And say you miss your first shot, because of the adrenaline rush from your wife screaming and your kids crying. How quickly does your nightblindness and deafness subside to take a follow-up, while your perp returns fire?

It's one thing on the range during the day, outdoors, with ear muffs on. Not trying to start shit, but trying to point out some things a lot of people overlook. Sometimes more power is not more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just cant go wrong with the Mossberg 590...

MS50665.jpg

wink.gif
</div></div>

Yes especially when you can put a bayonet on it
wink.gif

LW

Don't understand why anyone would advise "cheap" for a home defense ANYTHING! Oh well. Since you didn't say you were looking for a low cost solution, I would reccomend the following:

- Buy a Rem 870 Police Magnum - Wood stock version
- Send said 870 to Vang Comp Systems in Arizona
- Tell them you want the following done to it:
1) modify your barrel with their Vang Comp System, with porting.
2) Install their 2-shot barstock mag extension, stainless follower, jumbo head safety, rear ghost ring sight, front night sight, Speed Feed stock, Hogue forend or Surefire forend with light (adds about $225), 6-shot Side Saddle ammo carrier, and IBD Tactical Sling.

Of course, you could also just call them, order what you want, and have your dealer send them an FFL copy. They keep Police Mags in stock, for the most part, and it really doesn't cost you any more to order the complete gun. I've done it both ways.

Either way, you'll have a full-on custom shotgun; but more importantly, you'll have a much more practical and effective weapon. All of Vangs components are top notch, and serve a REAL purpose. The jumbo head safety, for instance, is one of those "aha" deals that hits you as soon as you use it for the first time. His barrel mods literally cut the 00 Buck pattern size almost in HALF! Every other "custom tactical" shotgun package out there that I've seen only dresses them up.

You'll have a total of $1,500-$1,800 into it (depending on Surefire forend or not); but hell, guys around here consider that price range "middle of the road" for a good SCOPE! Seriously, a home defense shotgun is a very important decision, and should be given as much attention as any other that we make. Spend the money with Vang Comp - I own 4 of his guns, and I can tell you that they are not fancy, just the best. Hans Vang is also one of the best people you'll ever do biz with.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't understand why anyone would advise "cheap" for a home defense ANYTHING!</div></div>

What do you mean by cheap?

Cheap price or cheap construction.....seams to me you can pick up a Rem870 for a couple hundred bucks....and you have to remember.....some may not have the money to blow like others....I really want an M4 Sup90 but ya know what....I cant afford it. I was issued one at one point.....I know the quality....but Im looking at the Mossberg 930SPX....do a bit of reserch on it....it might surprise you...especially at $500 for an auto 12 gauge thats 7+1, ghost ring rear, A pillar w/fiber optic front sight, and 18.5" barrel....its sure getting good reviews on other sights.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RX7-2nr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I'd steer clear of PG shotguns for home defense. Even up close it is <span style="text-decoration: underline">extremely</span> easy to miss.</div></div>

ive got an 870 HD with a speedfeed pistol grip stock on it. it points easier for me with the pistol grip. if youve shot with it before, youll know how to aim it. if you go from a traditional stock to the PG, odds are you wont hit where you think.

DSC02081.jpg
</div></div>

I meant the pistol grip with no stock, like the AOW I posted. You're right about PG w/a full stock is quite comfortable and points naturally for me too. My reloads are a little quicker with a traditional stock. Sorry for the confusion. </div></div>

ohh i see.
i saw a guy shooting (trying) clay pigeons from the hip with one of those Mossbergs that come with the grip only stock. it was pretty funny to watch.

Without getting into semantics, the word "cheap" usually denotes quality, not price.

If you're working with budget constraints, and are looking for a less expensive option, then so be it. However, I really struggle with the suggestion of cutting corners when purchasing a weapon with the specific purpose of providing home security.

For anyone interested non-controlled ballistic penetration testing, www.theboxotruth.com provides some colorful testing of different projectiles. They cover the "bird vs buckshot" argument in detail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RX7-2nr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ohh i see.
i saw a guy shooting (trying) clay pigeons from the hip with one of those Mossbergs that come with the grip only stock. it was pretty funny to watch. </div></div>

LOL that would've been cameraphone worthy video there that's something everyone should have the opportunity to see.

smile.gif

20 gauge remmy #2 shot. I dont want to worry about over penatration and chances are some ass just woke me from a deep sleep.

+1 20 gauge
20gauge.jpg

I to own one of Vangs 870's. Well thought out gun, and super put together. Hans is great to talk to, and work with.

I always wonder how many of those who claim a pump-action is the most reliable weapon out there have actually fired them under stress...or seen what happens when you short-stroke a shell halfway into the chamber.

I'll stick to a carbine that's had thousands of rounds through it, that I'm not going to screw up under stress.

Arbiter said:
I always wonder how many of those who claim a pump-action is the most reliable weapon out there have actually fired them under stress...or seen what happens when you short-stroke a shell halfway into the chamber.

I agree.
Go to a 3-gun match and see for yourself what is the most reliable (and fastest) shotgun. Semi-auto shooters have much fewer problems than the pump shooters (top pump shooters excluded). FWIW.

I just picked up the new Remington M887 Tactical. It was around $475 out the door. It shoots everything from 2.75in all the way to 3.5in Magnums. Choke tubes, rail on top for a red dot and a rail on the side to mount your light. Pretty hard to beat if you ask me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always wonder how many of those who claim a pump-action is the most reliable weapon out there have actually fired them under stress...or seen what happens when you short-stroke a shell halfway into the chamber.
</div></div>

I always wonder how many are actually prepared to use any of their weapons under stress regardless what platform we're talking about. I don't care what you grab when the devil comes knocking, if you're not 100% familiar and confident with it, it can quickly become a liability in a life and death situation.

The pump action shotgun is a great tool for home defense. My personal got gun for HD is this Mike Bush built 14" Rem 870P. I was fortunate to get my hands on one before UGSW got out of the scattergun business.

IMG_9762.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

lmao, you have no idea how many of you guys who are "solid" with their carbines will SHIT THE BED when put under a little stress. And i'm not talking Costa yelling at you stress, lol. I've seen crazier shit with the simplest of weapons. And i've seen some guys run some complex weapons fast and smooth under some insane conditions.

i dig an AR15 sbr like some of the others, but in a scatter gun, i'm really liking the 18" FN SLP (tactical i think - pistol grip anyway...) as it is fast, short, light, and has a fair capacity. you can mount a light really easy if you choose and i like the ghost rings sites as i prefer to practice with peep/ar15 type sights often so the similarity is nice. you probably don't need much in the way of sights, but i mention it for the simple fact you can use it for others purposes, 3-gun, hunting, etc.

Well, I obviously seem to be alone on this one. But I absolutely LOVE my Charles Daly Tactical. For anyone that has heard any bad stories about these shotguns... don't own this one!!

This thing has ate everything that I have fed it, and it loads from every angle you can think of, other than ejection port down. Without a doubt, this is my go-to for the house, along with my tried and true Glock M22.

I have now shot 460 rounds through it since I got it about 6 months ago. Not a single hickup, no fail to fire, no fail to feel, no fail to ejects. And to top it off, it is a really comfortable shotgun to shoot. The ergonomics are great, and the recoil pad on it is superb. I wish I would have bought one a long time ago...

DK

The kind you baught at a gunshow or from a private party and can throw in a river and forget about.

my next shotgun purchase will be this
2u6lgmo.jpg

Even though they are uncomfortable to shoot, I would have to say the Mossberg Mariner pistol grip shotgun. Nice and short and tough for the clown on the recieving end to grab.