• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best single shot or bolt action 22lr pistols ?

264win

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    I am looking for a single shot or bolt action 22 pistol with at least an eight inch barrel.
    I like T/C contenders, but they are heavier and more expensive than I want.
    Has anyone tried the Annie bolt action pistol, or the new Cricket ?

By Anne, are you referring to the Anschutz Exemplar 22 LR pistol?

The Crickett with iron sights is about 2lbs 8oz.
    My T/C with 10" barrel, mounts, rings and scope is 3lbs 14oz.
    I could weigh it with irons later if you'd like a better comparison.

I'm quite familiar with the Contender in .22lr. Their standard barrels is OK but their Match barrel is much better.
    Consider the aftermarket too. Bullberry & MGM have both made me barrels that are superb.

I don't have a clue as to T/C quality since Smith took them over...

Last edited:
    Savage made the Stryker in 22lr/22wmr for a while as well.

Or, find teh bolt rifle you like, file the paperwork and pay the $200 to make a SBR.

Or since on 22s there are no real lugs on the bolt head, etc. it should be fairly easy to make your own receiver that would be compatible with a Savage, CZ, etc. bolt. Once you've made the receiver, you can use the drop in parts for everything else. No tax stamp required.

If you're talking Anschutz, then you should have the funds or inclination to try one of the guns below. None are single-shots or have 8" barrels but rather 7ish inch barrels and semi-autos or revolvers...

S&W 41 (personal preference is 5.5", although there were 6", 7", and 7 7/8" factory barrels, as well as various custom lengths)
    S&W 617, 17 (personal preference is 4", but 6" is perhaps more common)
    Ruger KMKIII678 (the 6 7/8" inch tapered, target-sighted, guns actually balance best of all, but have been discontinued and the MKIII were never offered in stainless, my preferred finish . Barrel lengths in 4", 4 1/2", and 5 1/2" are/were also available).

If you need the longer barrel for hunting restrictions, then I'd stick with a TC.

Cheers

Last edited:
    Thanks for all the ideas guys.
    To answer a few of the questions, I do want a pistol only and SBR is not legal even with permit in WA. I will be running it with a can, and want to avoid revolvers and semi-autos.

The Anschutz Exemplar looks like exactly what I want, I am hoping to find something less expensive, since this will have a rough life as a truck gun.

These two look interesting as well, anyone seen or fired either one ?
    Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA
    Chipmunk 22 Pistols

Matched Pair Pistol .22 Long Rifle Rossi

Adam

Maybe check into finding a thompson hot shot and having a smith chop the barrel and stock and turn it into a pistol.

Maybe check into finding a thompson hot shot and having a smith chop the barrel and stock and turn it into a pistol.

Exactly. Then bake the smith a cake with a file in it, because he'll need the file to break out of federal prison. Geez...

Exactly. Then bake the smith a cake with a file in it, because he'll need the file to break out of federal prison. Geez...

Most of the smith's I know are type 7 manufacturers. It was my understanding that a licensed Firearms Manufacturer can take a rifle, modify/manufacture it as a pistol, then transfer it you you as a pistol. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Last edited:
    Hmm...now I'm not sure. Manufacturing a gun is one thing, but converting a gun is another, I believe. That's the way our goofy laws are. Maybe an expert will chime in.