• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best spotting scope under 400$

nainud

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2008
Thailand
I would like to share the experience about the spoting scope for 400-600 yds. I known that price is too low for quality but just only guess the bullet hole at 4-600 yds. I plan for 20-60x with 60-80 mm object lens. Do any members have experience with this scope with best price under 400 or +-50 usd for this scope? and how far it can see? Any brand or medel, please recomenend.
Thank you.
POM

Re: best spoting scope under 400$

Did you have a brand in mind? Short answer is that there is no such thing in that price range. Leica and Swaro rule and they cost a lot. You may here about cheap wonder spotting scopes but it's just like rifle scopes.... a BSA is not a Schmidt and Bender.
You might look in the used market but $500 is, IMO, the impossible dream.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovski-hd-ats80-hd-spotting-scope.html
and remember that price does NOT include the eyepiece!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you have a brand in mind? Short answer is that there is no such thing in that price range. Leica and Swaro rule and they cost a lot. You may here about cheap wonder spotting scopes but it's just like rifle scopes.... a BSA is not a Schmidt and Bender.
You might look in the used market but $500 is, IMO, the impossible dream.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovski-hd-ats80-hd-spotting-scope.html
and remember that price does NOT include the eyepiece! </div></div>
Thank you. I think Bushnell, Pentax,Nikon,leupold green ring, etc

How about one of these. Armored, waterproof and your choice of inline or 45deg. viewing. Not a bad price either. I got the next larger one(same price) but it's huge! Sure gets attention at the range esp. when cost is brought up. Very nice piece.

I was able to find a used KOWA for under $400. (with a 40x and 27 EER eye piece)
patience is the biggest thing to get a nice piece for a reasonable price....

has anybody been following the bushnell ffp spotter thread? that one will be $400 delivered! with an accurate milreticle.

Not sure why Alpen gets no love here on the Hide. I beleive if some of the high speed guys here used one it would get high praise especially for under $200 and become popular. Eye relief means I have no problems wearing glasses, with the cup twisted in and on the bench or prone, all I have to do is get my eye close and I can see full field of view. I have no issues seeing 308 holes to 425 yards. On 20x the glass is very clear and on 60x, I was shocked at how bright and clear it is. Its light to carry around and small enough to fit with padded case inside my my pack. All I can say is, give a serious look at the Alpen for under $200, I do not think you will be disappointed. I looked through that Excursion and would go with the Alpen every time.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/alpen-20-60x...ith-tripod.html

Konus Scope

I have one of these. First "high dollar" scope I've ever had.

Fellow member Michael has some real high dollar scopes of his own and he has spent some time looking through mine. Ask him his opinion.

I might get in trouble for this, but if your'e on a tight budget, you might try a small astronomy refractor.

They are not waterproof.
They are not designed to be rugged.
You need your own tripod.

But if just want something for the range that is beautiful to look through, they work well.

I suggest an Orion ST-80 or similar:

http://www.telescope.com/control/pr...ctors/~pcategory=refractors/~product_id=09948

Need to add a 45 degree erector prism and eyepiece of your choice. I have seen nothing that comes even close to this optical quality in spotting scopes for value/$$$.

Flame away.

Thank but it's too late!!
cry.gif

I had ordered the Busnell aleady. If it's arrived I will try write the review here.
Thank for your advice.