• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

best sr primers

Pittbull46

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
PA
what are the best primers to use in Peterson 6.5 cm srp brass using h34350 and rl16 thanks

You’ll likely get better advice than this but I would just pick one and go. I personally havent seen much of a difference from one primer to another. I just grab whatever the local store has at the time. I usually get match primers for target loads if available locally but many times they aren’t and I haven’t seen a noticeable difference switching back and forth. I suppose if a person was going for absolute best accuracy you could try a few different ones and run the loads through a chrono to see which one gives you the best es.

Cci 450 or Remington 7.5 would be my choice. That is a lot of powder for a small rifle primer to light so a hotter type primer would be my choice.

The Remington 7.5 are definitely tougher. I had trouble in my bench gun (6BRX) blowing a hole through the primer where the firing pin goes through the bolt face. I tried multiple primers and once I went to the Remington 7.5 it has never happened again.

Thanks for the help going to try 450 with the Peterson Brass how much less powder would I need

Thanks for the help going to try 450 with the Peterson Brass how much less powder would I need

Cci 450’s (and br-4) have the same amount of priming mixture in them as a cci 400. Only thing that makes them “magnum”is the thicker cup to withstand pressure. No change in the load is needed. The 450 and br-4 are identical by the way. Don’t waste money on the br-4.

Reactions: TBagAMouseTrap
Cci 450’s (and br-4) have the same amount of priming mixture in them as a cci 400. Only thing that makes them “magnum”is the thicker cup to withstand pressure. No change in the load is needed. The 450 and br-4 are identical by the way. Don’t waste money on the br-4.
I read an article a few years back that said the BR-2 and the 200s were the same primer. The BR-2 was just the ones produced when the more experienced work crew was on the clock. Thanks for this info on 450/BR-4.

Get your powder charge, then adjust length for accuracy. Then run a test on as many primers as you would like in 5 shot groups over a chrono. Every load seems to have a primer preference. I have good luck with cci primers. But have also found rounds that like winchester or federals. I think you can lower sd and es with a primer test.