• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

best stock thumbhole stock for a rem 700 5r

Bob munden

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
anybody buy a thumbhole stock for a remington 700 5r milspec rifle that worked out better than planned. its a 24 inch barrel and i dont want a stock thats to long and looks goofy with the 24 inch barrel. any help please! if you know of a stock please leave info on where it was purchased. Thanksssss

Re: best stock thumbhole stock for a rem 700 5r

I'm not a fan of thumb hole stocks but the Manners T5 and AICS stocks have always received high compliments.

If weight and cost aren't an issue AICS.

I just had a customer do a build on a Manners T5 and it turned out great. very comfortable stock.

the Whiskey 3 folding stock has always been of great interest to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Whiskey 3 folding stock has always been of great interest to me.</div></div>

I agree, been looking at them quite a bit lately thinking my 5r would look good in one.

Manner's T5A is the best thumb hole, hands down. I have 2 T5's as well as a AICS. It's hard to like my AICS after shooting a T5. It's just a well laid out, comfortable stock.

I'm with JRo! The Manners T5 is a great stock!!

What about the KMW stock. I think it can come inletted or with their version of a chassis.

Just put my 5R in an AICS stock and I love it. I do like the T5 as well...just comes down to personal preference and what it will be used for. I prefer the weight of the AICS but I am only using it for bench and prone shooting. I would have gone with the T5 if i were going to be hunting or shooting kneeling/standing a lot.

Stocks are the part of the rifle that interacts most with the shooter. Besides its looks, it needs to fit and feel good to you. All of the above are high quality that work very well, but you are asking for personal opinion, and what works great others, may not be for you. Unfortunately, you have to use trial and error, so hopefully you will chose correctly the first time to save time and money. I've only tried two, and like both. The AI and the T5, because they also look good to me. Yes looks is important to me, kind of like a chic, it can be the best performer, but I can't hang with nothing ugly. I got enough ugly for us both.

How timely...

I just got my Manners T5a last night and introduced it to my 5R.

Let's just say they are very happy together.

The Manners chassis is like the cherry on top!

I have a T5 and the thing I like the most about it, and I said this on another thread before, is that it feels like an extension of my body, from the shoulder all the way to where my finger meets the trigger. Give it a try at least before you go with anything else.

From what i have read on the hide here. You can get a hold of manners and have them send you the stock that you want to try and all you have to do is pay for the shipping both way's.Can't beat that.That's what i am going to do.I am putting the T5A on my 300 Rum build.So i am going to get a hold of them to send me one of the T5a and see if that is what i want in a weak or two for my 338 Norma build

man buying a stock is like trying to figure out what is gona be the new rifle! theres a ton of choices. thank you everybody i got some major thinking to do

I love my HS precision for a thumb hole.
100_0477.jpg

The T5A is not ambidextrious, it is for right hand shooters only as near as I can tell.

I purchased the AICS chassis after a handled and shot a fellow hide members rifle. It was a very good fit for me. It is ambidextrious. I do shoot rifle left handed nearly all the time.

T5a is not ambidextrious the T5 is ambidextrious

This was a 5R 300 win before I sent it to RWS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington 700 in 300 win mag fitted to a KMW stock. Barreled action is coated in FDE

Andrewlippett300win001.jpg
</div></div>

this sucks, to many good options but and gona have to make a choice soon, and thanks for the pics guys they might make my life a little easier!

I had a aics and I found it to be very comfortable. Just picked a T5 though, wanted something a little lighter...

My top three Thumbhole Stocks that I've been behind are:

#1:KMW Sentinel......(good luck finding one)

#2:MCS T5A............(Works well with either hand, but especially if you're a righty)

#3:AICS.................(not as good as the first two, but a good option if you must have a thumbhole)

The KMW Sentinel is by far the best for me. So much so that I'm selling my other stocks and I've already put an order in for another one. They're that good.

seems that everyone loves the AICS, and for good reason its a great system especially if you get the folder.

+1 on the AICS.

1) High degree of adjustability.
2) No bedding required.
3) DBM already built into system.

Add the cost of bedding, DBM, bells and whistles, it's nearly a wash.

AICS sucks, they do not fit my hand at all, the hole is way too small and very uncomfortable, the manners T5 is perfect in size and angle and couldn't be better.
cheers.

Another vote for the T5. I just got one a few days ago and really like it - aesthetically and functionally. From shooting mine and a friend's I see no need to bed them if you get the mini-chassis option. Compared to the AICS you have more choices of color, including custom camo combinations for no extra charge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob munden 45lc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody buy a thumbhole stock for a remington 700 5r milspec rifle that worked out better than planned. its a 24 inch barrel and i dont want a stock thats to long and looks goofy with the 24 inch barrel. any help please! if you know of a stock please leave info on where it was purchased. Thanksssss </div></div>

I had to buy a backup .308Win to cover for my old friend with a tired barrel (this 40 year old classic Remington BDL 700 Varmint in .308Win was my first firearm purchased as an adult) while Mike R. does his magic to the action down in Beverly Hills. Having used the McMillan A5 off and on shooting someone else's Tac-Ops XRay-51 rifle I had become very comfortable with the McMillan stock and their handling and shooting traits. While I resisted for many years once I shot the Tac-Ops rifle the inevitable happened and a deal was struck for a Tac-Ops Kilo-51. Unless you have a Tac-Ops rifle or have spent any time with a Tac-Ops rifle you just can't imagine how easily a Tac-Ops rifle can be driven to hit its mark. I thought it was all B.S. but once fitted to you a Tac-Ops rifle shoots with almost Zen like clarity. When you inspect and shoot a Tac-Ops rifle you can't help but notice the attention to the obvious and hidden details Mike R. has paid to your weapon which makes that ease possible. It's weird, somehow it feels like you're cheating.

Anyway while I was looking for a back-up .308Win I came a cross a pretty good deal on a used 5R but it had one of those funny looking stocks that people seem to like a lot. I bought this almost new Rem 5R .308Win that someone had already dropped into an AICS 1.5 chassis. It didn't cost much more than a new 5R so I figured what the heck, if I hated the funny looking stock I could always sell it and buy a nice McMillan A3/5 adjustable adding the bottom metal I wanted and have it inlet. This would make a nice back-up rifle I could use as a beater or share with some of my shooting buddies if they had a rifle go down.

While it seemed like a good plan it didn't work out as I had expected. I have never been a fan of the way the AICS chassis guns look or the way all thumbhole stocks force your thumb to wrap like a pistol grip. I like to put my thumb in-line over my trigger finger near the rear tang and squeeze the space between my thumb and forefinger. That said once I had some time behind my new 5R/AICS I came to understand why the AICS chassis are so popular, the thing shoots like nobody's business. The fit while initially not perfect was easy to adjust as they all come standard with adjustable cheek height, cheek offset and LOP.

I have read that many people cannot get a good sight picture using conventional ring height thinking with an AICS chassis. The reason is that the action sits very low in the chassis compared with conventional stocks. Armed with this information you will want to buy rings that are slightly taller than the usual "as low as I can get them and still have the objective clear the barrel" thinking. This will be especially true if you have a moderate power scope with a smaller 42-44mm objective lens as these scopes are going to be too low on the chassis for a good sight picture. For almost anyone with a large 56mm scope objective the usual low rings will work fine as long as the objective is not on the deck.

Personally I have always had to adjust my cheek piece up quite a bit to get a good weld and proper sight picture so for me this was not an issue. I also needed to use my PH 5-25x56 scope so I bought Seekins 20MOA canted base and matching low rings. This setup fits the action and me perfectly and the BC objective cap clears the barrel no problem.

As expected I was not 100% happy with my thumb wrapping around the grip with the stock trigger even with the pull weight as low as I could go and still be safe. So I installed a Rifle Basix trigger factory set to 2# which I had in a drawer. This much better made and much better finished Remington trigger is clean breaking with a much lighter pull made a big difference and my thumb-wrap issue almost became a non-issue. But in the back of my head I still thought that if I had a smoother trigger it could be just what I needed to get over my thumb wrap issue. Then I came across mention in a post of the Huber Concepts triggers. With a little bit of searching came up with the few people who had them seemed to like them more than their other triggers or even their Jewel triggers and I already knew I what a Jewel shot like and considered them to be very very good triggers. The deal maker was the Sniper's Hide discount the Huber people were offering so I bought a two-stage two pound Huber Concepts trigger.

After installing the new trigger and smoothing out the plastic skins around the grip and trigger areas to avoid chaffing my fingers and spending some time behind the AICS for a bit I can honestly say that I would have no problem shooting an AICS chassis with the Huber trigger in place of a conventional McMillan stock with DBM bottom metal that uses AICS magazines even with a Huber trigger. Both setups will cost about the same and work very much the same to maximize accuracy. But with an AICS you just have to drop the action in and torque the action screws down to spec and you are done with it. Literally anybody can do this with a good conventional precision in/lb torque wrench or a Borka and get 99% of the same performance as a fully pillared and bedded conventional McMillan composite stock. It won't take you more than an hour to play with it the first time including some time to clearance the skins for the bottom bolt release if you have an aftermarket trigger assembly. Once this is done and you know how it goes together maybe 10 minutes on the bench to disassemble, flush, blow, lube and reassemble. I like my stainless 5R!

Prone, off the bench, supported and offhand with the standard AICS web strap it can do it all very well. Addmittedly the AICS is better prone, off the bench with the Harris of other means of support but offhand shooting is pretty good too. I'm no longer a strong young buck but I can still hit the moderately small size steel targets at ASR reliably out to 200 and 300 yards offhand. Prone and off the bench with the Harris I can reliably nail 0.2 mil targets out to 1,000 yards with the handloads I developed for this action.

Hope this helps!

I just received my McMillan A-TH which is their new thumbhole tactical stock and I must say that it's a very comfortable stock. It's my first thumbhole stock as I never really cared much for there looks but I'm glad I bought this one.