• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best Survival Knife

Re: Best Survival Knife

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve903</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to go over $200, get a Cold Steel Military Classic, Trailmaster, or Outdoorsman (again, in that order of preference) Chris Reeve Green Beret model, or a Randall model 1, 14, 15, 16 (these last three with the micarta border patrol grip option instead of the finger grooves.)

I personally don't care for hollow handled survival knives; weak blade to handle junction being my primary concern. To me, full tang is the way to go. I have two Randall model 18s, but I leave them at home. I know a lot of people swear by them, so perhaps I'm overly conservative in this regard.

Just my 2¢,
Steve </div></div>

Steve,

I think you are spot on. I carted my Model 15 worldwide, and cut open 55 gal drums and even broke a gerber in half with it. I now give model 14's to young uns I know joinging the service. My Chris Reeves SF knife is impressive as well, never got the chance to run it through its paces as I did my Randall though.

A quick question, why the BP micarta and not the Finger grip? I thought the BP handle was kinda a small.

My $.02

I agree that the BP grip is kind of small. I should have posted 'BP or straight grip, as on a model 1, but micarta instead of stacked leather.'

While I love the looks of them, the standard finger grooves just don't fit well for me. . . I never thought to ask the guys at Randall if they could make them shallower. It may sound weird, but I like the flexibility of positioning my hand on the handle differently for different tasks. For my hands, the grooves are great for getting a secure grip for chopping, but not comfortable for more delicate/exacting cutting. . .field dressing a deer for example.

I have big hands, but skinny fingers, so I get some weird hand fit problems. (Except with beer bottles; they just seem so natural.)

New Years's eve 1999, I traded a buddy my original model 14 (with the finger grooves) after using it for a while for his model 14 with a cut down hilt and model 1 style grip in micarta. (If you have a current Randall catalog, look at page 23, knife Z. That's the one I had. To me, it is the perfect survival knife.) That knife was my 'go-to in all circumstances' knife until another friend's son went to Iraq. I can't put into words how good I felt passing that knife on to him.

I've been intending to head down the Randall shop and order a new one, but I've been watching Ebay, etc, hoping to get lucky and scoop one up, skipping the five year wait, but the features I like are not too common.

It's very nice to know that you use your Randall(s) instead of sticking them in a safe. To me, they're just too good a knife to let sit and collect dust.

Steve

Will be in Orlando on the 1st for a Karate Championship, and am going by the Randall shop to pick up two knives Iv'e had on order for the last 4 yr's. I bought my son a Model 8 and myself a model 23.

Right now if you are on Active duty, you can order a standard #1 and have it within 3 months, hell of a good deal, for those that are interested. Just my two cent's, I would carry my #1 anyplace and any time.

Benchmade Styker... I love Benchmade, fantastic knives, and in my opinion probably the best production knife made.