• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best switch barrel action/bolt?

Something like the Zeus, or Seekins HIT sound interesting. I just wonder how often I would actually swap barrels at the range, once the novelty wears off. I bought my Origin because I can pick up the phone and get a Criterion or Proof barrel delivered in a few days for about $500. Same with the TL3, obviously. And I can swap barrels at home in a few minutes.

Reactions: towerofpower93
Something like the Zeus, or Seekins HIT sound interesting. I just wonder how often I would actually swap barrels at the range, once the novelty wears off. I bought my Origin because I can pick up the phone and get a Criterion or Proof barrel delivered in a few days for about $500. Same with the TL3, obviously. And I can swap barrels at home in a few minutes.
The best scenario that supports range swaps is having a .223 trainer barrel. I have a custom closed cell foam insert for my gun box that has a barrel channel cutout and a bolt head insert alongside the main rifle cutout. So you can take your trainer barrel, bolt, and mag in the same box as your main competition barrel mounted to the rifle.

Hit the range, confirm some dot drills, switch to the .223 barrel, shoot some barricades, swap back over to your BR or Dasher, some more dot drills and maybe a long range confirm.

It's also reassuring to go to a match with a spare barrel and ammo. I blew the webs out on some early Alpha 6 Creed brass and got a stuck case in the chamber at a match. I was able to remove the barrel and pry the case out in between stages. No one at the match had a cleaning rod to punch it. It's also a real convenience to remove your barrel without a "to-do". When you're measuring the lands or the checking shoulder bump it's a lot easier with the barrel free from the action. And cleaning is a lot easier when you pull the barrel and hold it in a vise. Don't have to worry about boreguides and cheekpieces. When you don't have to disassemble the rifle to pull the barrel you'll be more inclined to clean, check sizing die settings, and measure your lands.

Depends on how many bolt faces you want to be able to span on one action. Most the high end actions make multiple bolt faces. The prob you are going to have is getting them to feed across the board depending on how small to how large you try to do on the one action size.

AI walks all over mrad all day every day... Don't listen to ole @rustyinbend .... Dude can barely reload without almost blowing himself up šŸ¤£ and has to change scopes with every barrel because keeping track of a zero offset is too hard when you only are issued 1 crayonšŸ˜‚
It was a yellow crayon (the best flavour) I bet he ate it.

It was a yellow crayon (the best flavour) I bet he ate it.
1710030682917.png

Seriously though ... I love my MRAD to shoot to and through a mile, and changing barrel and bolt-head is a snap. Yes ... I have a Leupold Mark-5 HD for every barrel. It's because I had a great career due to my enormous IQ and huge work ethic, meaning I have retired comfortably, and I choose not to recalculate zero every time I change barrels. I'd rather have money and be lazy, than be poor and have to do math at the range. Poverty sucks ... I refuse to embrace it. I don't have these scopes because I "need them" ... I have them because I "want them". LOL

Oh ... and you clearly don't know me. "Purple" was my favorite crayon to eat ... tastes way better than yellow.