• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best thermal scope?

RADcustom

Registered Coonass
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Looking in the $10-$12,000 range.

Considering the Elcan Specter IR.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I have also looked at the PAS-13 by Raytheon, but can't find a source or price for them. Anyone know where to get one?

Are there any other options I should consider?

Thanks,

RAD

Re: Best thermal scope?

Eotech is offering Thermal and NV units now. they are worth a look. I checked them out at SHOT and was impressed. Trijicon is also releasing some thermal and NV units. They are still high grade but more affordable.

Thanks, I will give those a look.

Anyone else know anything about thermal?

Does Counter Sniper make a thermal scope?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does Counter Sniper make a thermal scope?
smile.gif
</div></div>
Yes they do. but you are only looking to spend 10-12k. if you think you can get counter sniper quality for that price, you better start saving your pennies.

Toddacguy has thermal ....we have used it a fair amount, we have id'd game browsing in meadows at 934yd in the day time....and other nocturnal animals at night....it a hand held camera, an expensive one, I have come to the conclusion that one can cover a lot more real estate with a hand held....when you find something worth really looking at , you transition to the weapons mounted NV and flip the safety....

Below pertains to uncooled TWS.
Spector Ir uses amorphous silicon (AS) microblometer I believe

Pas 13 uses mercury cad. old technology,but still in use and has been improved also the video out cord is "propritary and big $"

Eotech is owned by L-3, probally will use a 320-240 AS type engine.

As engines are sensitive to solar radiation( damaged by)

DRS and SCD and others use VOX vandium oxide ( military likes this type !!)

Most thermal units in the 10-15 K price use 320 x 240 detector with a 25 or larger micron pitch.

Current military stuff is 640 X 480 15 or so pitch or better.

Try and get a Athermalized lens, most use them but not all.

Thermal wont see thru glass and heavy rain, but man does it work for everything else.

Dont over look the video portion of the unit. Most use a Copin disply and the higher end ones use a OLED type display with much better resolution and line count. Get one with a "starburst" type eyecup ! other wise you will have "face glow" that is a big no- no.

I could talk about this for hours, actually 40 a week, but that will get you started.
PS I didnt edit this for spelling,as I have a guest waiting on me and she is holding a nice glass of Scotch and not much else. LOL