• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best trigger for Remington 700?

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Looking for a new trigger for my Wife's Remington SPS in .308. She loves the two stage in my Accuracy International so im leaning towards something like that. I have not used anything but the stock Remington and AI triggers so please educate me and give me your opinion on what would be best.

Thanks!

What a novel question; haven't seen it asked more than, oh, a bazillion times. Search this forum and any other shooting forum and Google, and start reading. IMO, adjust the factory Rem 700 trigger to 2.5 lbs (which takes a careful person about 20 minutes start to finish), and call it done. Or you could spend $300 on a CG-22 for the 2-stage bit.

If you haven't started with tuning what you already have, then get to it.

As above, try tuning your factory trigger. If that does not cut it, look at Huber triggers.

Best 2-stage trigger for your Remmy:

X-Treme Shooting - Rem style triggers
+1 This is the best 2-stage trigger out there similar to the high-quality AI trigger. It's not cheap, but nothing besides an Anschutz trigger compares....and the anschutz will be an expensive hassle to install in a Remy. Jewell is the de facto single stage trigger with Timney being an excellent alternative.

I shot single stage trigger for years, there is no comparison to a good two stage

A good 2 stage allows way more feel, vs touch n bang. light single stage triggers just dont allow the same control afforded by a good 2 stage

I run a HUber, excellent trigger. CG are also highly thought of.

If you have never shot a good 2 stage you have no idea what your missing

I used both, the Huber and the CG. Both have superb sear-break feel, but there is a big difference: the Huber does not reset the first stage if you take it up and then decide not to fire. You have to reset the first stage manually using the safety lever. If you don't, and then try to lift the bolt handle, the rifle will fire.

The CG resets the first-stage if you take your finger off the trigger, like a typical two-stage. I think it is a better trigger, although I wish they would make a tactical, no adjustment, trigger with a heavier pull.

thought this had been resolved on the huber triggers? i know there were issues with the early ones
I might be wrong but i thought trigger was reworked to adddress this and its no longer an issue

I have no had zero issues with mine thou i dont think i have cylced bolt after dumping first stage,mine was bought in 2011 IIRC

I have an older Remington trigger that I put onto my Rem 700 5R Milspec in place of the X-Mark trigger that came on it. I bought it off of Ebay and it was advertised as a sniper rifle take-off. I measured the pull and it is tuned to 1lb 9ozs. I have checked to make sure it is safe by cocking it and bumping the butt stock on the ground, and also slamming the bolt closed and it is 100% reliable and safe. It has a nice clean and light break. There are many here that recommend more expensive aftermarket solutions, but an old Remington 700 trigger can give you what you want if it is tuned correctly.

thought this had been resolved on the huber triggers? i know there were issues with the early ones
I might be wrong but i thought trigger was reworked to adddress this and its no longer an issue

I have no had zero issues with mine thou i dont think i have cylced bolt after dumping first stage,mine was bought in 2011 IIRC

That's when I bought mine. If he redesigned it, that's great. But I think the only change is the addition of the bolt release.

I do not like the fact the first stage does not reset. That defeats the whole point if a two-stage trigger: generous sear engagement.