• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best trigger for tactical matches???

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    well i broke my first jewell today on my tubegun with a blown primer and am wondering what the consensus is on the best available trigger for tac match shooting is, since thats predominatly what i shoot. i have tried alot of them but only limited experience with most so let me know what you think. in no way is this a trash jewell thread i like them and am going to have mine fixed just want to consider my options.

scott

Re: best trigger for tactical matches???

I have never, ever, ever, once had a problem with a properly tuned Remington 700 or 40X trigger. I use them on all of my bolt guns and have fired thousands of rounds through them in practice and Competition.

There are a few new triggers on the market that look really nice and I'm sure they break like a glass rod...but they aren't cheap and I know I can count on my Rem triggers and that is worth a lot to me.

just my $0.02

Respectfully,

--KJ

I love the pre-xmark Remington triggers.

I have used them without fail for quite some time in the real world as well as matches.

My last trigger only had one issue. About once out of 10 pulls the weight would jump a pound or so. It never went low, but it would go high. This was a problem on timed stages because it would take me longer to break the shot. Since this is also a duty rifle, and I am not qualified to do trigger work, I pulled it and replaced it with a Timney trigger. The timney is very nice, but I hesitate to call it "better" than the factory trigger.

The Timney does use a different safety setup. That was one of the few problems with the pre-xmark triggers.

I say look for a pre-2006 Remington trigger. If you can't find one for a reasonable price, then get a Timney 510.

if you want the rifle to be equipped with a safety then you pretty much have to stay with a Jewell, to my knowledge no other trigger can be had with a bottom safety, personally I think the Jewell is a great trigger, all my bolt guns are fitted with them, never had a problem with any of them.

honestly i don't care about the safety, if you don't want to fire it don't put a round in the chamber, if you do point it in safe direction at all times, lastly only put your trigger finger in the trigger guard when your ready to fire. its not rocket science.

suprised i haven't heard a single mention of the huber trigger or the tactical cg jackson model, apparently no love for the 2 stage triggers.

im a fan of the CG triggers. They are the cats ass.....im not a huge fan of Jewells...

I would say , that as the Huber Tacticals are still quite new , not many have them , as well as alot of shooters are conservative in the gear they buy .

If the Huber is similar to the AI triggers on the AWs etc , then I would say thats the trigger you should have .

Later Chris

I will put the good word in for the Huber. I have been using one since the first group buy. I have several thousand rounds with it and unknown dry fires. I would put one on each of my 700's if I could afford to.

They are smooth and break very consistently. I have never had a hi-cup with the trigger and have used it in very dirty/blowing dust/sand conditions. I have never experienced the gritty/dragging feeling with the Huber that many triggers experience when the rifle/trigger gets dirty from environmental conditions.

I have a tuned 700 trigger in another rifle, and I do like it for a single stage, but I much prefer the Huber.

For reference, I do not like the Jewell triggers.

Hey bro- Since you can't slap an FN/Win on there, do the next best thing and use a stock remington and play around with the adjustments yourself before dropping coin having it "tuned".

For tactical match use it has the perfect mix of function, reliability, durability and ease of replacement. For the $50 they cost, buy two and keep an extra in your pack.

eric funny you should mention that in the last few matches i have been keeping a spare rem trigger in my pack just in case, luckily never had to use it. and of course i agree i prefer the fn spr trigger very basic and robust, yet also very clean break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    For reference, I do not like the Jewell triggers. </div></div>

Why?

For M700's the older (pre-2006) seem to clean up pretty nice. Disassemble, clean, inspect for burrs (10X loop), replace pull weight spring if necessary, reassemble and tune. Usually comes down to ~2lbs no problem. And it generally costs you nothing......If you want to go significantly lower then an aftermarket trigger is in order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    For reference, I do not like the Jewell triggers. </div></div>

Why?</div></div>

I don't like the feeling of the thin shoe and I have had friends shooting with me have their Jewel triggers "freeze up" and need to be cleaned while we were shooting in dirty environments.

The shilens seem to be a great trigger. Does anyone have experience with them????? It might be on my plate in the future too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never, ever, ever, once had a problem with a properly tuned Remington 700 or 40X trigger. I use them on all of my bolt guns and have fired thousands of rounds through them in practice and Competition.

There are a few new triggers on the market that look really nice and I'm sure they break like a glass rod...but they aren't cheap and I know I can count on my Rem triggers and that is worth a lot to me.

just my $0.02

Respectfully,

--KJ </div></div>

I also run a 40x on both of my GAPs. I know they are the top of the line but I have had great sucess and durability out of them.

We have the Shilen trigger in two of our work guns. Been running them for about 3 years in all conditions. Zero problems so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berm shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have the Shilen trigger in two of our work guns. Been running them for about 3 years in all conditions. Zero problems so far. </div></div>

What range of trigger pull did you set?

I am getting ready to put a Shilen on (been in the parts box for years) a Rem HB .243 who's trigger did not adjust out well enough (have not taken apart). Thanks.

Tried a Hubner yesterday. I am not a fan. It felt kinda sloppy, IMO it doesn't break as clean as my Timney or a Sako, which I consider the best 2 stage factory center fire trigger out there.

I sat down behind a tuned factory "old style" Remington Trigger, and my Huber trigger when I got home from the range yesterday. Both are set at a hair above 2 lbs. With the exception of the first stage on the Huber trigger, I felt little difference between the two. Both broke cleanly, and the only "slop" that I felt was the take up of the slack on the Huber. That being said, it's taking some getting used to for sure!

Best trigger for tactical matches is the Sako TRG in the detachable mount for 22/42 models. Nice to have that inside the guard safety lever and all the field adjustment potential. Then there is the lock on the firing pin. Do any of the Rem 700 triggers lock the pin? Guess you can swap for the 3way mod70 style, but aren't accidental discharges a disqualifying occurrence in these matches?

For $275 you can carry a spare. If "the unexpected" happens and your primary fails, one allen wrench swaps your new trigger already setup in 2 minutes or less. Try drifting out trigger pins and not losing your sear spring in a mud hole...

Try the Rifle Basix, I had a Jewel on my first GA Precision, never a problem but it was a safe queeen. When I had my 7mmWSM built Cris Mathews with Longshot Rifles LLC suggested the Rifle Basix, stating it was a little better under "dirty" conditions. I can't tell it from my Jewel as far a how it feels. It has been great

GA Precision with a Jewel
    DSC01748.jpg

Longshot Rifles with a Rifle Basix
    DSCN0036.jpg

Dakota Predator, with a Jewel
    LSSO015.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried a Hubner yesterday. I am not a fan. It felt kinda sloppy, IMO it doesn't break as clean as my Timney or a Sako, which I consider the best 2 stage factory center fire trigger out there. </div></div>

I think there was something wrong with that Trigger - possibly needs to be flushed out. My Hubers break as clean/crisp as any of my Timneys.

For 300 bucks, that trigger better be right from the factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 300 bucks, that trigger better be right from the factory.</div></div>

Are you sure it's not right and its not you?

A Huber is more of a set trigger and has some particular quirks that are not the same as other triggers.

His trigger are set to break via computer and come with a print out describing where it breaks. I will say most of the time I read about this, 99% of the time it comes down to a misunderstanding of what the Huber is and how it feels as it is slightly different than a true two stage.

it's "Sets" the trigger is a better way to describe it.

PS. what LBS was it set for ?

It was JPipes Huber that I was playing around with the other day. On all the other triggers I have played with, there is a pretty good snap when the trigger breaks. The Huber to me felt like there was a clunk when I was dry firing it. Maybe it was the rifle that was giving me that feeling. I don't know.

Playing around with it could have been the issue, by not having a true feeling of what you are experiencing with it.

If you "set" it there will be a different feeling if you let off, then return to breaking point. The only way to "fix" that is, if you come off the trigger is to engage the safety before returning too it. If you don't many think it feels wrong.

John has it more directly tied into the safety than many realize. I have asked him to change that, but he is safety centric.

Frank -

The trigger is set at 2lbs. I've been sitting here for the past 15 minutes playing with my Huber (That sounds filthy), and the way you described the "Setting" is right on. Once the trigger is "set", the take-up feels slightly looser until I engage and disengage the safety. The break of the trigger is the same regardless, and I feel no difference in the break of my tuned Remington trigger.

I would like to know the mechanics behind the safety and the "first stage" trigger setting.

I really like this trigger, and the more I dryfire the more that I like it.

Best,
    Josh

That is just odd. I don't know about anyone else but I like my triggers to feel the same every single time I squeeze it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is just odd. I don't know about anyone else but I like my triggers to feel the same every single time I squeeze it. </div></div>

Again, you mis understand... it breaks the same, its set, however if you "set" it and let off it changes the first stage, not the second. The Break is always the same.

You might want to read up on it, because you're definitely unclear on this particular trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">If you "set" it there will be a<span style="color: #CC0000"> different feeling</span> if you let off, then return to breaking point. The only way to "fix" that is, if you come off the trigger is to engage the safety before returning too it. </span> </div></div>

Notice, I didn't say break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">If you "set" it there will be a<span style="color: #CC0000"> different feeling</span> if you let off, then return to breaking point. The only way to "fix" that is, if you come off the trigger is to engage the safety before returning too it. </span> </div></div>

Notice, I didn't say break.</div></div>

You said every time you squeeze, so how can you like a 2 stage trigger the 1st stage "feels" different than the 2nd stage ?

Duh,

If you continue through with the shot it is identical each and every time, if you set the 1st stage and come off the trigger, you either need to know the trigger is already set , or you have to reset it with the safety. However the break is always the same... it's because it sets the trigger.

But you're thinking is completely wrong... the "different feeling" is not in the break of the trigger, but in the take up to that break... the only way it feels wrong is if you pump the trigger, taking up slack setting it, and then letting up in preparation of doing it again. I don't know about you but most people don't pump the trigger before breaking it.

Yes, I understand. But to me, the take up shouldn't vary from if I prestaged or set it or not. No other trigger that I have felt does that. And you have already explained to why it does.

I just felt and played around with a rifle basix, a jewel, and a shilen. I dry fiired about 50 with each. They all feel close to the same. I would not give any one of them a big advantage. That being said I will throw out the jewel because of the cost and finickiness(is that a word?) when getting a little dirty. That leaves the shilen and rifle basix. Same price point here. Only different is the shilen has a little thinner trigger. If you little them slightly thinner than a standard rem 700 this is the one for you. If you like them about the same thickness as the standard rem 700 then the rifle basix is teh one for you. WIN WIN i think

For me the best trigger for a 700, for any price is the 40X. IF is was forced to spend 300 for a trigger, I would pay it for that one rather than a custom. Fortunately they do not cost this much. I normally use the 700 trigger as it is almost as good. Many custom triggers are thin in the finger lever area and flex when set to 2-4 lb IMO. I do not like the trigger to have a "springy" feel. JMO