• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best ultra light raingear

tmpohuski7

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
MD
Whats the best ultra light tacticool rain gear out there. I'm looking for something light and packable. Tried frog toggs did not like them.

Re: best ultra light raingear

I'm looking as well, ASC is right around the corner and my current stuff didn't survive the recent snow storms.

thats what I am gearing up for too.

ive heard good things about cabelas space rain gear, its currently on sale

ecwcs gear is good and very affordable

Arc'teryx makes great gear but is pricy

i picked up a tad gear shell myself and i am very happy with it so far, its been a great addition to my collection

i am still trying to find the right pants or bibs but havent found the right set yet

i have a few options one probably over kill and the other under, still looking for that pair thats just right

what's your budget?

Take a look at Patagonia and Marmot. Great lightweight stuff. I've got a lightweight marmot pull-over rain jacket that breathes well and weighs about 11 oz.

I like the Marmot Precip stuff. It's light, relatively cheap, fits well. Mine is a dull greenish color. Breathability isn't the best, but I've always had to vent my goretex stuff when moving very much in wet weather.

I bought some Event stuff which is nice and light. I haven't been in real rain with it yet, so I don't know for sure how it feels when moving in rain. It cost 3x what the Marmot stuff did.

Never had a single piece of Marmot gear that didn't work well.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Marmot-PreCip-Jacket-Mens/MAR0432M.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Marmot Precip stuff. It's light, relatively cheap, fits well. Mine is a dull greenish color. Breathability isn't the best, but I've always had to vent my goretex stuff when moving very much in wet weather.

I bought some Event stuff which is nice and light. I haven't been in real rain with it yet, so I don't know for sure how it feels when moving in rain. It cost 3x what the Marmot stuff did.

Never had a single piece of Marmot gear that didn't work well.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Marmot-PreCip-Jacket-Mens/MAR0432M.html </div></div>

Helly Hanson makes probably the best on the Planet. They are the ones that make all the rain gear for Commercial Fisherman but they also make some really good light weight stuff. Here is the link to the Jacket and in relation to the Pants I would recommend the Bibs...

http://www.hhworkwear.com/ww/products/view/145/70148/Impertechdeluxejacket

Second the recommendation on Helly Hansen Impertech. It's cheap. It's tough. It's quiet when moving. Most importantly, it's 100% waterproof as opposed to Goretex and other similar fabrics. I never carry Goretex any more in my pack for rain. In long sustained downpours it is guaranteed to let you get wet. Buy a pair of Impertech pants and Impertech jacket for an outer layer. You can then put your favorite insulation layer under it and you'll stay warm and dry no matter how hard it is raining out.

One last benefit of Impertech is that you can just shake it off and it is practically dry. Goretex garments often have outer layers that will hold water once the main water repelling treatment wears off. So if you find you are taking on and off the gear a couple times a day during storms the Hansen gear will be comfortable and nearly dry and the Goretex stuff will be soaked and freezing cold when it touches you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana3gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at Patagonia and Marmot. Great lightweight stuff. I've got a lightweight marmot pull-over rain jacket that breathes well and weighs about 11 oz. </div></div>

+1 im a big fan of marmot and patagonia, not tacticool but performs

Hey Guys- From what I have seen both of lightweight rain gear and more importantly THE TORRENTIAL ASC RAINS!! I do not think the really light packable gear will be worth a crap on the mountain.

I had originally planned to pick up a light weight high end set to pack with me on the mountain--but then I thought about it.

Chances are, by the time you get to the farm, you are going to know whether or not you will require rain gear for thay day---and you'll be putting it on before you leave the parking lot--so why not get better, less "packable" gear like the Impertech. Moreover, if ASC was a hot summer rain, then sure, breathable light gear is a requirement---but it is NOT. In addition to being wet from the rain--you'll also, most likely, be FREEZING YOUR NUTS OFF!! The more substantial gear will also provide an extra effective layer.

Impertech is good stuff, I run it myself.

Keep in mind that it runs big, at least the ImpertechII that I bought did. I'm about 5'9" 180# and I could almost sleep inside a size Large Jacket. The Medium bibs/jacket fit about right for me.

scout

those are some excellent observations.

i do agree on the whole ultra light weight rain gear thing. i myself have several sets of it, they all ball up into the size of a water bottle from several manufactures, to me this is great if you are out and might get caught in a rain storm for a brief period of time, eventually it will soak through and you are going to be wet

not to mention i would not want to be shooting prone with this stuff. so for me its out

the absolute best rain stuff is going to be your pvc or grudens type gear i think impertech might fall into this category, i have no personal expereince with it myself, but i do have several sets of the real heavy duty stuff i use for overnight fishing and dive trips when you are guaranteed to get wet, all of my stuff like this is bibs, great for on a boat and staying dry but for me at least too heavy and not real comfortable for shooting and walking, however i might bring a set to asc and if the weather is jsut horrible put it on and use it.

i ended up buying these pants

http://cgi.ebay.com/Northface-Gore-Tex-M...=item20af83b9b0

they are very heavy duty, full zippers for easy on and off, they are probably more of a pant than a shell but they do fit over a pair of pants, or if i know the weather is going to be nasty i will just wear them as pants with a pair of long johns underneath, then keep an extra pair of pants in a waterproof bag in my pack.

i am going to try them out this weekend at Practical

i think these type pants with an impertech type parka would be ideal

to me i would want what ever pants to have a durable seat and knee area, we are going to be laying on rocks and shooting alot of prone shots, and i would either want bibs or a long parka coat

the last thing i would want is having a gap and then having water run down my pants all day

i guess there is probably no "ideal" set out there, they all have strong points and bad one

in the end it would probably be best to have several pieces to choose from depending on the rainfall and then temperature range

while we are on the subject, to me what you have under your outer layer is also very important. i personally would not wear anything cotton, i like wool or the new syntheic stuff, when you get wet or damp, it will breath and dry faster and also me more comfortable if you get wet

S/O- Likewise, good points. I need to check out the Impertech in person. I am hoping they are an acceptable compromise as I'd prefer to leave the Grundens on the boat!!

You gonna be there in May?

Yes i will be there May 1st weekend

i can't wait

i dont have a gun.......quite yet, but i will be there

check out the arcteryx LEAF line of jackets, their stuff is top notch but a little expensive. If you have a REI store near they have a good selection of lightweight rain jackets (mountain hardware, patagonia, and rei brand). The REI brand stuff appears to be well built but have never used it.

I [run] as [trainers] Gen 1 woodland goretex issue. (Still laughing that I used those words.) (Wanted to use a Muslim scarf but do not own one!) OK- I do but it was given to me in a ceremony by a Kurd.

Only fired about 700 rounds of .308 today but the Gen 1 goretex line seemed to work.

Not particularly current sexy though...

I'll [run] a lighter jacket tomorrow LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out the arcteryx LEAF line of jackets, their stuff is top notch but a little expensive. If you have a REI store near they have a good selection of lightweight rain jackets (mountain hardware, patagonia, and rei brand). The REI brand stuff appears to be well built but have never used it. </div></div>

I love my Arcteryx stuff but at 400-600 per set most people don't see the need.

My arc'teryx jacket is hands down the best rain gear I have ever owned. It's light, breathable, and has kept me dry even when working in constant rain all day. But like the other guys said, it is expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Helly Hanson makes probably the best on the Planet. They are the ones that make all the rain gear for Commercial Fisherman but they also make some really good light weight stuff. Here is the link to the Jacket and in relation to the Pants I would recommend the Bibs...

http://www.hhworkwear.com/ww/products/view/145/70148/Impertechdeluxejacket</div></div>

OK you guys have talked me into trying the HH Impertech stuff. I'd been checking it out in the stores anyway.