• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best value for $ on 1911's

hotsunTX

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
North Texas
My priority list looks like this...

Reliability
Comfort/Fun to Shoot
Looks

I've had good luck with Springfield XD in .45ACP, and Sig in .380.

Where is a good starting place in the 1911 world?

HotSunTX

Re: Best value for $ on 1911's

+1 on the Springfield 1911. I purchased mine in September and I love it. A major plus for Springfield is they have a lifetime warranty with top-notch customer service.

I purchased the Springfield Loaded Target model. It is one step below the Springfield TRP, which has a match barrel whereas the version I own has a forged 5" stainless barrel. Personally, I won't be shooting any matches so it works for me, although I might upgrade the barrel just for shits and giggles. The fit and finish is flawless.

The price varies but typically you can pick one up for less than $1000.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=18

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261405065

311756_2056961592301_1492454965_31631565_1357296486_n.jpg

297354_2056970272518_1492454965_31631568_1273146588_n.jpg

It is really hard to compete with STI on a $$$ to feature basis. You get semi custom work at production prices.

STI Spartan. Nothing even close at that price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote Sig. </div></div>

For the money? In my opinion, that is Sig. Less than $1000 goes a really long way, and you get a lot of niceties, like fine checkering on both ends of the grip, excellent fit, excellent sights, match grade barrel, stainless with an excellent finish.

I bought mine used for ~$700 and its hella nice.

I've got about $510 in my Rock Island Armory Tactical (including Hogue grips & DIY Duracoat). Very accurate and when lubed properly (a must with 1911's) it runs flawlessly. Don't overlook the lesser known gun makers when it comes to 1911's.

IMG_1045.jpg

I have sold all mine but my 70's colt. it is the best for the money I am aware of.
really if you shop around, they are not too expensive, and will always be worth more than you have in it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got about $510 in my Rock Island Armory Tactical (including Hogue grips & DIY Duracoat). Very accurate and when lubed properly (a must with 1911's) it runs flawlessly. Don't overlook the lesser known gun makers when it comes to 1911's.

IMG_1045.jpg
</div></div>

+ a Qubajillion
The RIA 1911 is the way http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411539799
juab1h.jpg

I have a Rock Tactical also. It is a great pistol and the price is even better. I think the best deal out there now is probably the Sig Tac Pac. The accessories that come with it make it a steal. All Sig 1911s are going to see a significant price increase as of Dec. 1. If you go Sig, get it now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotsunTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My priority list looks like this...

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Reliability
Comfort/Fun to Shoot
Lo</span>oks</span>

HotSunTX
</div></div>

Sounds like you want a Wilson Combat
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotsunTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My priority list looks like this...

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Reliability
Comfort/Fun to Shoot
Lo</span>oks</span>

HotSunTX
</div></div>

Sounds like you want a Wilson Combat
laugh.gif
</div></div>

For the price of $2000+, there Wilson Combat doesn't come anywhere near being the "best value for the money" when it comes to a 1911.

sti spartan is the most bang for the buck hands down. you cant spend twice as much and get what u get with the sti

For the sake of argument, let's call the price out at under $1k.

Looks like there are some nice options available in that range.

If I narrow down the look to Sig, Springfield, Rock Island and STI, what sort of niceties are there to appreciate later?

Another +1 for the Sig tac pac. Bought mine and its comfortable, accurate, nice trigger for factory, has a rail and even comes with laser, holster, 2 mags, etc. Standard 1911 gov mags work. External extractor, which i like but is a whole other thread. Holster choices are more limited. Very nice setup.

That said sti is a real nice place to start, along with ruger. Ria is pretty good for the money, not bashing, but IMO, needs some work done from what I've experienced. Now granted this was not a tactical and was 5+yrs ago. Honestly the Spartan and ruger Sr1911 are tops of my entry level list. Ruger is kinda hard to find right now. Ive heard that they initially did a limited production run to test the waters and can't seem to keep up. I'm curious to see if the great reviews keep rolling in as they try to ramp up construction.

I like my SA, but also take a hard look at Smith and Wesson. I have the E series full stainless, and it has been reliable since new.

i like my sti spartan for a cheap 1911. shoots circles around the range officer and if you buy it thru dawson precision you get a free front site

Found a pic of the S&W E series. The Taurus pictured is not really a Taurus anymore. The only remaining parts that came with the gun are the frame, slide and the barrel. It is my tinkering gun, and I learned alot working on it myself. Everything else has been swapped out to Wilson Combat parts with a EGW bushing. 2.5 pound trigger, was my backup CDP gun for IDPA, and is now my primary. Damn accurate, and it feeds empty brass, along with whatever I feel like feeding it.
The S&W was done by the performance center after I purchased it, they did a trigger job (3#), and fitted the Smith and Alexander arched full size magwell. Picked it up new for $849.00 out the door. Only thing I did prior to sending it out was to change the recoil spring to an 18# and VZ grips. I am not a 1911 purest, and an external extractor that functions the way it should does not bother me in the least. This thing THROWS the brass, with no problems ejecting. Smooth, accurate and damn reliable. I have a stainless loaded SA, plane jane as well that is my go to gun. Take a hard look at the Smith. A lot of value in the gun, if you can get over the fishscale serrations on the slide.

DSC02987-1.jpg

Sig also has my vote. I have two Sig 1911. I have less in two Sigs than I do in 1 Les Baer. Would put the Sigs up against the LB anytime and anywhere. Most of the "custom" 1911 are overpriced and not worth the difference IMO. In the hands of the average shooter a Sig, RIA, or SA will do just fine and still leave a little $$ in your pocket for other stuff.

For about $1050-1100 you could get an STI Spartan AND a RIA officer...or you could get a RIA Tactical and a RIA officer and still have about $100 left over for "breaking in ammo"...two for the price of one, not a bad deal...just saying...

Colt

Less than 1k for most models and a little more than 1k for some pretty sweet bells and whistles. PLUS they are the original.

STI's Spartan is a good bet. The one I shot locked up like a bank vault. FWIW, A bushing wrench was mandatory for bushing removal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$875 invested (RIA)

complete1911.jpg
</div></div>

Never before have I seen something I so desperately wanted to put a .460 Rowland conversion on. lol Though I think I heard Clark doesn't advise it.

From personal experience, I'd have to recommend a Springfield. They are incredibly durable (my uncle's has over 200,000 rounds through it with only springs and a barrel link needing replacing over the last couple decades) and built by a company with an excellent reputation for customer service on the rare occasions it is needed. Every model I've ever shot has been reliable with ball and most hollow-points. Only a couple pistols needed the feed ramp beveled and polished (very easily accomplished by most folks competent with hand tools) to reliably feed semi-wadcutters and the old "flying ashtray" 200 grain Speer.

Comfort-wise, pretty much any all-steel full size 1911 with a beavertail is going to be a pussycat to shoot. And as for fun...what's not fun about sending large chunks of lead downrange as fast as you can pull the trigger? I find that good night sights (I like Meprolights myself), a smooth face short trigger, thin grips, and sharp frontstrap and mainspring housing checkering make a 1911 more fun to shoot for me.

Looks? Paint, coatings, or plating can radically alter the appearance of a firearm, and so can many aftermarket parts, so you can make your slabside look mild to wild for relatively little money. Out of the box, most folks find the TRP to be a sexy beast, and every one I've shot has been a tack driver. Might give it a look.

Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.
wink.gif

Been doing a little surfing and all the models discussed here look very workable. For the total pkg, the Sig TACPAC looks like a great set of goodies for the money. Looks like I ought to be able to get in there between 700-750.

That said, may just have to throw an extra blanket on and get more than one down the road.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this subject. You've helped me narrow the field from hundreds down to a few.

HotSunTX

My vote is for the Springfield Armory RO. Mine is a tackdriver, and for the price it comes with a hell of a lot of features.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is for the Springfield Armory RO. Mine is a tackdriver, and for the price it comes with a hell of a lot of features. </div></div>

I think the STI Spartan is cheaper and is a freakin tackdriver. Not disparaging there RO, I own 2 Springers myself.

Here's an article on the one I shot (the very same gun)

http://media.stiguns.com/USPress/BluePress/May07/BluePress05-07-Spartan.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is for the Springfield Armory RO. Mine is a tackdriver, and for the price it comes with a hell of a lot of features. </div></div>

No checkering, no magwell, no ambies, and no forward serrations? Sorry, but that's not a gamer gun, and those are not a "hell of a lot of features." And with an adjustable sight, that's not a self defense gun, either.

In fact, it's hard to figure out how they screwed the pooch that hard. The loaded is a way better value than the so-called Range Officer--and the loaded has been available for DECADES with those features. What does the RO offer that the market didn't already have? Nothing.

And I'm not a Springer hater either; I love my EMP. But I love my Spartan almost as much as my Kimber, and once I get it checkered, I'll probably like it even more.

The STI Spartan is basically an RIA with STI internals from what I have read. I have a RIA Match and it's pretty nice for the money.....Just under $600 out the door.

The STI Spartan also has an STI adjustable rear sight melted into the slide in addition to the STI trigger parts/hammer.

I like my series 70 colt, but i like the reports on the STI Spartan.

STI's spartan might not be bad-

If you can get a used Baer off one of the IDPA shooters out West- that's generally a good deal. It seems they sell cheaper out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotsunTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nw,

Enjoyed the article - looked like a pretty good eval of the Spartan.

</div></div>

No prob. And I'll let the writer know you enjoyed it when I see him.

Made it by one of our local dealers who is retiring soon. He had no Sigs, no STI's but he did have a nice Colt, a Springfield 1911 A1 and some sexy Kimbers for way too much $ :)

A buddy of mine just got a Rock Island Compact 1911 and surprisingly, it is very solid. I have shot it twice and I am very impressed with the solid feel and accuracy.

Springfield Mil-Spec 1911! You can get one usually for around $500 bucks. They're a no frills 1911. You aren't paying for shiny chrome or any that frou-frou bullshit. You're paying for functionality & quality. I love mine & wouldn't trade it for anything.

I also have a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and love it. But i carry a ultra carry kimber. I like it because it will fit in my inside jacket pocket.