• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best variable scope under $1500?

af1232

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2013
Hi forum members,

Glad to have found this forum!

I am in the market for 1-4X or 1-6X variable zoom scopes. The scope will be used for CQG, target out to 500 yrs, and small game hunting applications and will fit either on an AR-15 platform or a Steyr AUG. Criteria for scope has to be generous eye relief and clarity. I am not familiar with reticle types so I am open to all designs as long as it gets the job done.

As a LE/MIL, I have access to Leupold's generous pricing and looking closely at the Mark 6 1-6X20mm for $1403. I did look at the Mark 4 CQ/T 1-3X14mm (Gander Mountain $999) recently to sample Leupold's optics and was disappointed at the eye relief so I am concerned about the Leupold line.

I have narrowed my choices to the following:

1. Mark 6 1-6X20mm for $1403
2. Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24mm $1899 (may purchase if discounted)
3. Vortex Razor HD 1-4x24mm $1599
4. Vortex Viper VST 1-4x30mm $599
5. SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm $999
6. Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X TR-24 $1000
7. Burris TAC30 1-4X $300

I am open to other brands as long as the eye relief is generous and glass is clear.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's a huge price spread. I'm a big Vortex fan, so I'd go with them, but you should know that in optics, you get what you pay for. If you're looking at $12-1500 scopes you won't be happy with a $300 one.
For my money I'd go with either Vortex, I used to be a Leupold guy but not anymore.

1911fan

You can find the vortex 1-6 used all the time for 1500. Im a vortex fan but I'd go swfa ss 1-6 because the reticle is awesome and you'll save a good chink of change that can go to a betger trigger, more ammo etc.

I've had nothing but good experience with Leupold, such that I've never tried anything else.

As was said above, you never get more than what you pay for in scopes.

Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 is my favorite. Great optic. Nice bright glass. Green Triangle reticle

I can only reference the MK6. I had the opportunity to help a friend set up his MK6 1-6 with TMR-D reticle. I was impressed with the reticle for both CQB and distance. At low power with illumination, you have a red-dot, or dial up the power, and now a good Mil based reticle. It has ZS on elevation and return to Z on windage. Turrets are .2 mil. Hope this helps.

Just put a Burris XTR 1x4-24, with an MGM Targets speed ring on my Tavor, (bullpup) Reticle is calibrated for 5.56 and is accurate to MOD at 500 yds, but does range to 1,000. $1,130.00 retail, about $900.00 real world, green on/off, adjustable lit center reticle, with lifetime no bull warranty, which they have stood behind with another Burris product I have.

Thanks guys for your opinions. I have seen some reviews on that Sightron SIII 1-7x24 STAC but will wait to see more. BTW, I meant eyebox, not eye relief as I prefer quick acquisition of targets at multiple magnification. Thanks everyone!

I can only reference the MK6. I had the opportunity to help a friend set up his MK6 1-6 with TMR-D reticle. I was impressed with the reticle for both CQB and distance. At low power with illumination, you have a red-dot, or dial up the power, and now a good Mil based reticle. It has ZS on elevation and return to Z on windage. Turrets are .2 mil. Hope this helps.

Same here. I really ;like the glass on the Mk 6.

Same here. I really ;like the glass on the Mk 6.

Good to hear.

So I've whittled my list down to the 1-6X variable scope:

1. Mark 6 1-6X20mm for $1403
2. Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24mm $1899
3. Swarovski Z6i 1-6X $ Military pricing TBD
4. Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24mm $1899

The TRIJICON Accupoint is a light, bright scope but wanted to do a little more for for windage/yardage/low light capabilities.