• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best varmint bullet / cartridge

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Looking to put together a varminting rig in a 22 cal or 6 mm cal. Would like to hear real world experience with the various bullets in the 70-100 grain bullet choice....best BC, good down range performance on game. Leaning more towards 22 as I am not sure what advantages the 6 mm will have. Range will be inside of 400 yards walking varminter will be intended purpose.

Cartridges in contemplation:
22 x 47 lapua
22 Dasher
22 creedmoor
22-243 win
22-6 Remington
6-284 lapua
6 Remington

I don't have experience with many varmint bullets outside of the 55 grain V-Max in .223.

That said, they work terrifically on small vermin like jackrabbits & ground squirrels. I have a buddy that's knocked down coyotes with the same bullet.

Reactions: Emad
I'd go 22 Creed in specific headstamp brass , it's just easy. 53vmax screaming along in a 12 twist. Especially for a rifle you won't be shooting colony varmints with. Good BC and explosive.

And that's coming from a 6x47L lover. As well as a 6mmBR lover.

I had a 6-284 for 400 rounds, it was too much gun so I sold it.

The coolest varmint cartridge I have is a 20-221AI. 18.8grs H4198 will send 32vmax at 3737 fps in a 21" barrel. Incredibly capable in my walking varminter CZ527, and recoil is so light it makes me laugh, and that's with a 8lb rifle/scope.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I'd go 22 Creed in specific headstamp brass , it's just easy. 53vmax screaming along in a 12 twist. Especially for a rifle you won't be shooting colony varmints with. Good BC and explosive.

And that's coming from a 6x47L lover. As well as a 6mmBR lover.

I had a 6-284 for 400 rounds, it was too much gun so I sold it.

The coolest varmint cartridge I have is a 20-221AI. 18.8grs H4198 will send 32vmax at 3737 fps in a 21" barrel. Incredibly capable in my walking varminter CZ527, and recoil is so light it makes me laugh, and that's with a 8lb rifle/scope.

I shoot a 20-221 myself, although not an AI. Is it your reamer? Do you have the print? I’d like to look at it if you do.

OP, judging by your cartridge choices, I assume this will be a custom/semi custom build? You left off 22-250, remember Lapua makes brass for that.
Also, what varmints are you talking about? If squirrels, PD’s, and rabbits, pick a light construction bullet that shoots well, I like the blitzkings. Vmax is a little cheaper, Varmageddons a little cheaper still. If you’ll cross over to bigger varmints like coyotes, consider the Nosler ballistic tips. The tapered jacket and heavy base works really well on them. Ive had some near side splashes with the blitzkings and vmax’s, some of which resulted in lost dogs. The noslers blow up too, but a significant portion of the jacket/base always pass through. Never lost a dog with those. More expensive than the blitzkings.

I’m a big fan of the 20’s, a straight 204 in something like a tikka lite is about as nice as walking varminter gets for very little cash. I don’t think you need a 6mm for inside 400. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
I would like to be able to shoot coyotes and maybe deer. Would I need to step up to 70-80 grains?

I shoot a 20-221 myself, although not an AI. Is it your reamer? Do you have the print? I’d like to look at it if you do.

OP, judging by your cartridge choices, I assume this will be a custom/semi custom build? You left off 22-250, remember Lapua makes brass for that.
Also, what varmints are you talking about? If squirrels, PD’s, and rabbits, pick a light construction bullet that shoots well, I like the blitzkings. Vmax is a little cheaper, Varmageddons a little cheaper still. If you’ll cross over to bigger varmints like coyotes, consider the Nosler ballistic tips. The tapered jacket and heavy base works really well on them. Ive has some near side splashes with the blitzkings and vmax’s, some of which resulted in lost dogs. The noslers blow up too, but a significant portion of the jacket/base always passes through. Never lost a dog with those. More expensive than the blitzkings.

I’m a big fan of the 20’s, a straight 204 in something like a tikka lite is about as nice as walking varminter gets for very little cash. I don’t think the you need a 6mm for inside 400. Keep it simple.

I bought the gun used with brass, dies, reamer, etc. It's a turn neck reamer so kind of a pain and I don't have the print. But from measuring it's almost identical to 20 SCC. The guy that made this wildcat has reamers and dies for it. He owns the SmallCaliberClub forum.

Yeah 204R is the simple way!

I wouldn't worry much about the bullet bc for 400 yards and in. A buddy uses a 22-250 with 35 or 40 grain bullets on coyotes and they have a bc of around .200, but they are going about 4500fps. He claims that with a 300 yard zero he can hold directly on them at any range to 400. Not sure if that's true but he gets a pile of coyotes every year. They do drift a bit in the wind.

I use a 6mm rem shooting 105 bthp at 3050. That stops them pretty good, but I don't care about the fur. If you are going to include deer I would go 6mm.

Reactions: Charlie112
A good ol 22-250 will do everything you need on varmints out to 400 yards. I've shot tons of coyotes and quite a few bobcats. Out of all the bullets I've tried, my vote has to go to nosler ballistic tips. They are not the most fur friendly, but they flatten coyotes. If you are just shooting p-dogs or something like that, just buy some bulk 52 gr Speer hp's.

If you go 6mm, try the Berger 95gr Hunting VLD. They are extremely accurate and expand well on small varmints but still have more than enough penetration to handle coyote and even hogs. I use them in a 6mm Remington and have had great results.

Berger also makes an 87gr Hunting VLD if you want a little more speed or have a slow twist barrel, but I have found the 95gr to be a bit more accurate in my rifle.

Last edited:
I average three prairie dog trips/year. Going on 9 years now. The V-max is a great bullet in .22 and 6mm, I shoot their 87gr in my 6br, the 88gr Berger Varminter might be slightly more accurate, but both print around 1/2". Both are what I use now. In 6.5 I like the Sierra #1710, it fragments well.
I started with a .220 swift shooting 53-55gr, just left vapor trails, but not as good in wind on longer shots. Settled on 6br for accuracy/recoil/barrel life.

Never use a non-varmint bullet, they act like ice picks.
I started with .220, then 243, 260, and am going to stay with 6br.
Coyotes are easy on the bbl, pdogs weekend might be 300-600 rounds, so barrel life is a concern.

Reactions: NodakBarbarian
I'd go .223Rem in a bolt gun with a Wylde chamber. Take a look at the Hornady 73gr ELD-M bullet goina above 2900fps. I've used it on Woodchucks and PDogs with great effect out to 568yds. It tends to fragment rather than pencil through the critter like a 75 or 80 gr ELD-M will. Almost every kill has been a DRT (dead right there) lights out, they rarely move or twitch. I have not seen the explosive expansion typical of a VMax with the 73gr ELD-M.

There are several threads discussing this bullet for reference:

Although I love my 223AI, I'd say 22 Creed or 22-250 with a moderately fast twist.

53 Vmax/60 gr TMKs on smaller varmint, and something like the Berger 70 VLD on deer.

A very common coyote contest rifle is a 243 shooting the 87vmax. Mine will run that at 3320 without pressure and sub half minute to 500yds. My 243ai shoots it close to 3500fps but they will vaporize about 30% of the time when it heats up. I'm running that in the 3350 range both with 100v both are 10tw.
Dad runs a 6mmai with the 70 grain blitzkings and 70 ballistic tips in the 3600fps range. Real dramatic kills but he waits too much for the perfect shot vs just letting it rip.
A 22-250 or the faster 22's you listed with the lighter varmint bullets will do very well. I have shot the 22-243 and it's relentless on a song dog or ground hog. I had a 17 remington for a while but never a .20 cal. That 204 is a real sleeper for shorter ranges over 4000fps with factory ammo in a pinch. One of my friends I hunt with loves it. They as a group take about 100 dogs a year mostly with hounds but some calling and some over bait. I didn't hunt with them the last 2 winters due to work load

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Inside 400 walking varminter? .223, 1:7 or 1:8, 53 V-Max, 75 ELD-M, or 50-55 grain Barnes X, depending on what I was after.
Maybe drop back to 40 grain V Max or BT if your saving hides.

Outside 400, or if you want to try to tear a coyote in half, .22 or 6mm Creed. .243 don't suck. You will be dealing with more recoil and noise at that point.

I'd also ponder barrel length and suppressed vs. unsuppressed. It took me years to figure out that optics and platform will likely matter more than the cartridge.

I really like my heavy .22BR, it really falls dead between the two aforementioned cartridges, but there is some case forming involved and some complain about feeding issues, though I've had zero issues in that regard. I do believe that Alpha is currently running .22 Dasher brass........

Reactions: 260284
Run the numbers on a .22 75gr amax at 3500fps. A 22-243 or 22 Creed will do that. I've been running a 22-243 for 15 years but today would run the 22 Creed, just easier. They are a absolute killer. Big enough for white tail deer too. I've never had a deer take a step after being hit. One doe was about 300yds. Several good heavy 22 bullets to choose from for a fast twist 22

Is this truly a varminter only gun or also a deer rifle? That’s the big dividing line to me.

I second the “if deer or 400yds+ go with a 6mm variant” sentiment. Depends on the deer of course; little Eastern forest rats are a lot different than the big Western mules. But generally I’d set the bar at 6mm for deer.

If pure varmint and coyote only then I’d stick with the .20 and .22 caliber loads. Between your list and the suggestions offered earlier in this thread you have plenty of great options. I only own rifles I have the ability to buy ammo off a shelf for, so I’d go 204R or 223AI. 223AI is underrated in my opinion — an extra 100-150fps really turns the ol’ 223 into something special and you’ve got a much wider bullet selection than with the 20s.

22-250. A 12 twist barrel will spit 55gr Vmax at 3600fps to destroy P-dogs out to 500 yards and have the velocity to kill deer inside 250 yards. Its about bullet placement when you get to the larger game. I've field dressed a few Deer after a 22-250 and the lungs are like jello, there is nothing left of them. The Hydro-static wound cavitation is incredible. They make it about 50 yards. Great Coyote Round as well to save the fur.

22-250. An 8 twist barrel will put you into the 80 gr bullets at 3000fps
If you want to step up the BC have a look into the 224 Valkyrie. A cartridge specifically designed to shoot 80+gr 224 bullets.

I have had good luck with the 22BR shooting 75gn AMAX on everything from Coyotes to Prairie Dogs. Low recoil, low noise, good barrel life.

My other varmint caliber is 223 Ackley. All the same pluses as the 22BR, but with cheap brass added in. And it works perfect from a bolt gun or a gas gun.

Reactions: stilesg57
204 Ruger without a doubt. Fast, accurate, and effective. Pelt friendly too. Not much left of a bobcat with a some of these cartridges suggested. 204 puts a pin hole in one side, and rarely exits. If it does it's usually the size of a quarter. It's also fast enough that you just point and shoot in 99% of situations. No need to lead them on the run, dial dope, or mes with hold over. Drops them in their tracks too.

I too seem to think you left out the 22-250. It would make a great killer build and you could shoot the 73 ELDM or 75 BTHP at significant speeds. People are able to get to 1000 yards with those bullets out of a 223 so shooting them from a 22-250 to 400 yards should be accomplished with ease. I would also like to think that the 22BR or 22BRAI should be a fine option. However, if deer are in the mix, I have no idea how much energy these bullets will have out to 400 yards.

*edit*

If I had to pick from your list, I'd be real curious about trying to put together a 22 Dasher...

Last edited:
I love my 6x47 Lapua with 70 gr blitz kings at 3650fps for prairie dogs. I had it chambered for that and twist is for light bullets. Great performance and a wide range of bullets. If you go with a 223 again there are so many bullets available from prairie dogs to deer. They work just fine for deer btw. For prairie dogs my 6mm really shines and second choice is the 204 ruger but that is not what you want if you have deer on the list.

I should’ve mentioned that back when I had time and good places to do a lot of “walking varminting”, I toted an A-Bolt II .25-06.

I get that factory rifles, long actions, and B.C.’s under .5 are all pretty blase’, but it killed stuff dead. And I mean right now.

It still does every now and then........

Reactions: Charlie112
Looking to put together a varminting rig in a 22 cal or 6 mm cal. Would like to hear real world experience with the various bullets in the 70-100 grain bullet choice....best BC, good down range performance on game. Leaning more towards 22 as I am not sure what advantages the 6 mm will have. Range will be inside of 400 yards walking varminter will be intended purpose.

22 x 47 lapua
22 Dasher
22 creedmoor
22-243 win
22-6 Remington
6-284 lapua
6 Remington
I like the 22-250, kills, easy on shoulder and easy to carry. Second is my 243, kills also, easy to carry, shoulder etc. Ammo pretty easy to purchase and reloading is great.

of course you can shoot anything you want for varmints.... depending on range.... but there are two long standing standards....223 Remington and 22-250... both will do the job and then some in the ranges you want to deal with.... fox, coyote in the East... now, if you want to go to a Dakota "dog field", then go for broke on a flat shooter that can reach out 500 or beyond.... but pick the right glass and understand the game at that range...

The guys I hunt with run .243s and completely blow the shit out of hides with factory 87 vmax. I used a 7.7t 22-250AI last two seasons running 77 TMKs at 3460. I’m switching to an 8 twist 22 creedmoor to get away from fireforming brass, and hopefully help with some feeding issues. The TMK isn’t the worlds best coyote projectile, but certainly not the worst, and it shoots very well for me out to 800 from an 7.7t 18” 223 Wylde AR, 7.7t 26” 223 Israeli Match on a Stiller, and that 7.7t 26” 22-250AI. I hit ~50 coyotes, and recovered 44 this year. The ~6 I lost could have been hit in ass for all I know. I can’t tell the difference between a vitals thwop, and an asshole thwop when it’s cold and dark and shit is going down. Use whatever cartridge is economical and convenient for you, find a good load and practice with it. If you like money, and hate fireforming brass, go with something common and SAAMI accepted. If money and time are no object, build a kick ass wildcat and enjoy. Any of the ones on your list will work fine. On a side note, a 22” 10t 6mm Creedmoor will run a 75 v-max at 3650, probably not too far off the other 6s on your list. Brass is almost free if you can stand Hornady and a Redding die set cost about 3 cases of Busch light. Just FYI. Same scenario with .243, both being extremely capable.

Thank you for everyone chiming in, I have been looking more into these 22 cal bullets and it seems there aren’t many hunting projectiles unless you are looking at the 40-50 grain class. The others are geared towards target.

Compromise sucks.

There’s no doubt the 22-250 is good on small varmints and can effectively take deer. But I think the recoil for a full day of PDogging (300-600 rds) is excessive. The 223Rem (and extensions from that) or 204s are a better choice inside 400 yds.

And for a deer kill outside 300 yds, a 6mm is going to be arguably a better option, especially with all the projectile options, but not the ideal small varminter.

I have several rifles; if you choose only one to do it all, you’ll always be giving up something.

I’d not fret the “match bullet” designation much. I promise an 88 ELD-M (as in “match”) will kill a coyote. Seen it :).

While not my first choice for trying a quartering shot at a deer’s ham with hopes of breaking the opposite shoulder (that’s what .45-70’s are for), there’s not a deer alive I’d not fling that same bullet at broadside.

I was reading this thread grinning at how what are referred to now as “walking varminters” used to just be called “deer rifles”.
4F3135E7-2E48-452D-AE07-16BA430F270E.jpeg

22 x 47 lapua
22 Dasher
22 creedmoor
22-243 win
22-6 Remington
6-284 lapua
6 Remington
I know the top varmint calibers have been listed here and some very good input on these calibers . I will just throw the 6 GT from GAP is a caliber that I am watching. Yes, I understand it is a new “wild cat”, but there are starting to be reloading components and some ammo out there. I like my varmint rifle to have little to no recoil which a lot of these cartridges listed have going for them. If you have time, look up the specs on the 6 GT, good way to pass some time, which seems to be what this retired guy has a lot of lately, time....

Al
I know the top varmint calibers have been listed here and some very good input on these calibers . I will just throw the 6 GT from GAP is a caliber that I am watching. Yes, I understand it is a new “wild cat”, but there are starting to be reloading components and some ammo out there. I like my varmint rifle to have little to no recoil which a lot of these cartridges listed have going for them. If you have time, look up the specs on the 6 GT, good way to pass some time, which seems to be what this retired guy has a lot of lately, time....
already set up for that, it’s my match rig. It’s about 20 lb and not so handy when walking around the woods.

Shooting p-dogs is a passion of mine. It's not unusual to shoot 300-400 per trip, and a trip means driving about 20 miles from my house. It looks like your criteria is for varmints, predators, and deer. I have a rifle I had built just for that task. It's a 22. Creedmoor shooting 69 TMK for varmints and predators. I switch to a 70 grain Nosler Accubond for deer. The zero (in my rifle) is the same at 100 rounds for both rounds.

Al

already set up for that, it’s my match rig. It’s about 20 lb and not so handy when walking around the woods.
Good to hear you have that cartridge, are you running a 26 inch barrel, if so, what velocity are you seeing. Thanks

I personally would look at the .22-250. I have one that with the factory barrel was the most accurate rifle I have owned. Shoot the first barrel out and has it rebarreled with a different twist for heavier bullets. When the tone comes to rrppace this barrel I will be looking hard at a left hand gain twist barrel to shoot a wider variety of bullet weights. The factory barrel liked the Winchester white box from Wal-Mart best. That 45 grain bullet was deadly on groundhogs, foxes, and a few pigs in Florida.

I no longer have my 22-250, but used it with the 52SMK. It was unbeatable on chucks out to 400.

These days, the Speer 55gr Gold Dot is now available. In the 223; it's a very viable self defense bullet. At 22-250 velocities, it should give better expansion, and may be just the ticket for larger varmints especially.

IMHO, the 22-250 is too much cartridge for long term sustained (prairie dogs) fire, but is probably ideal for a walking varminter. I used the 52SMK with Varget and IMR-4064.

Greg

Does anyone know if lapua 221 fireball has been discontinued?

IDK, but Powder Valley has it in stock. Honestly, I never bought 221 brass, I just bought the form die and trim die, and made my own....223 LC brass made some really stupidly tough 221 brass.

I have shot many coyotes with the .243 and Hornady 58gr V-Max combination through a 1:9tw barrel. Pencil sized entry and no exit. The bullet explodes like a hand grenade inside them. Every one I have shot from 75-402 yds were literally a bang, FLOP. DRT. Never even a spinner. Move up to 70gr bullets and you're going to see pelt damage with the varmint bullets.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
I will second (third, or fourth) the 22-250 as a great varmint caliber. You may also want to consider the .25-06 Remington, which is a necked-down .30-06. In many states there is a minimum caliber for hunting deer. In Colorado, it is .24 caliber. So a 22-250 will not be legal for taking deer as its bullet diameter is .224. But, a .25-06 would be as its bullet diameter is 0.257.

I have shot many coyotes with the .243 and Hornady 58gr V-Max combination through a 1:9tw barrel. Pencil sized entry and no exit. The bullet explodes like a hand grenade inside them. Every one I have shot from 75-402 yds were literally a bang, FLOP. DRT. Never even a spinner. Move up to 70gr bullets and you're going to see pelt damage with the varmint bullets.

How many would you say? Honestly. Because I have shot around 500 coyotes over the last 10 years, and 90% of them with a 243. And I have yet to find a plastic tipped bullet that I would call fur friendly, out of a 243. But I've never tried the 58 gr vmax.

IMO, it depends on what your 'varmint' is: 'yotes, P dogs, ??? And do you just want them down or want to preserve the pelt?

Personally, my 'yote killer to 500y and just want them down cal is 22-250. My preserve pelt inside 300y is 17WSM.

I average three prairie dog trips/year. Going on 9 years now. The V-max is a great bullet in .22 and 6mm, I shoot their 87gr in my 6br, the 88gr Berger Varminter might be slightly more accurate, but both print around 1/2". Both are what I use now. In 6.5 I like the Sierra #1710, it fragments well.
I started with a .220 swift shooting 53-55gr, just left vapor trails, but not as good in wind on longer shots. Settled on 6br for accuracy/recoil/barrel life.

Never use a non-varmint bullet, they act like ice picks.
I started with .220, then 243, 260, and am going to stay with 6br.
Coyotes are easy on the bbl, pdogs weekend might be 300-600 rounds, so barrel life is a concern.
What twist rate and contour is on your 6BR? I’m thinking of my next build to be a 6BR for prairie dogs and plinking.

Narrowed the decision to 22 BR / 22BRA / 22 Dasher.

Performance wise I understand they will be about the same.

Any suggestions from experience running any of these

Narrowed the decision to 22 BR / 22BRA / 22 Dasher.

Performance wise I understand they will be about the same.

Any suggestions from experience running any of these
My experience is that they are a tinker cartridge. Tinker with magazines tinker with neck diameter tinker with dies etc etc. Personally for a walking varminter a 243 or 22-250 would be the easy button and if you lose some brass in the field ohh well. I shoot a $250 marlin x7 in 243 with a 58 grain vmax at about 3900 FPS

Are you running suppressed?
That'll likely effect barrel contour and overall length. Just something to consider.
Of the above choices, I'd .22BR (simply because if I wanted anymore, I'd Creed), AI mag pattern setup (skip the ADL/BDL when it comes to stubby cases), Redding Bushing FL Sizer (with 2 bushings for necking down), Forster seater, Lapua brass, go kill stuff.
But take a while and read the entire .22BR thread in the Reloading Depot. Everything you want to know and then some........