• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to carry a kestrel for prs type competition

Andrew863

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Russellville KY
Simple question, but I have watched several vids and just not sure what will be best or most efficient. Are most people running a kydex or soft pouch on a belt or tripod, or just tossing it in your pocket. Seems like a silly question but the kestrel is extremely important for competition so I figured I would ask. I have shot a couple comps just just got a kestrel and I guess I never paid attention. So if u can just tell me what you think works best and pics would be awesome to.

I stuff mine in a cargo pants pocket along with my course of fire. Handy to have the COF and my Kestrel together, can pull them out when I start the next stage and immediately work on getting my dope written down. I also keep a pen in there for writing down my score from the last stage and any notes I might want to review later.

Cargo pants pocket will be a little warmer than outdoors for winter matches so I do make sure to wave the kestrel around a bit before running dope to make sure it's capturing ambient temp correctly.

One other question also do most of you load the stages in the day before with the target card and just update inviromentals the day of or put in each distance when u get to the stage

Reactions: Raffy
I store mine on my tripod caddy or in my range bag (shaded with ventilation) so my body heat doesn’t throw it off.

I keep mine in a SAP Kydex Kestrel holster on my HSGI belt. Kestel on the right, spare mag on the left. For your second question, I started lasing every target on every stage with my LRF connected to my Kestrel. That way I have the most current drop data available from my Kestrel just before I shoot the stage. For one, I have the LRF and it talks to the Kestrel so I might as well use it; and two, it's good to stay in practice for UKD matches where you need to range targets on the clock.

I keep mine in a SAP Kydex Kestrel holster on my HSGI belt. Kestel on the right, spare mag on the left. For your second question, I started lasing every target on every stage with my LRF connected to my Kestrel. That way I have the most current drop data available from my Kestrel just before I shoot the stage. For one, I have the LRF and it talks to the Kestrel so I might as well use it; and two, it's good to stay in practice for UKD matches where you need to range targets on the clock.
You happy with the SAP kestrel holster? That is one that I have been looking at. Does it hold well and do you think there are any disadvantages carrying it on a belt.

during stage brief and while others are shooting it's in my pocket with COF and dope card pen so i can play with wind/dope as i'm watching

while shooting it goes in top pocket of pack with the COF/pen

Reactions: Andrew863
I keep it in the factory soft pouch - I use a cheap carabiner to keep it with lanyard clipped to my bag and always in the same pocket. I use it to pencil in all the stage dope as soon as I get the COF. When I finish a stage, I reload my mag and reconfirm DOPE for next stage as a pre-execution check

I keep mine in a kestrel pouch that's attached to my backpack. Also recently got a kydex sheath with a window that's attached to my tripod, so technically I can range targets with my Terrapin and I can look down at my kestrel to get dope.

I don't think there's any one right way to do it. It doesn't have to be on your person at all times, so there's many options, it's just what works best for your workflow I guess.

One other question also do most of you load the stages in the day before with the target card and just update inviromentals the day of or put in each distance when u get to the stage
Day before. It takes 5 minutes so why not? Then I will edit any ranges that need it and update environmentals on the fly.

About where to put it. I have a zippered pocket on my leg that I put it in that keeps it accessible and protected. Im pretty new to this so I'm always looking for a better way to do things, but I think it's fine for now

Last edited:
Day before. It takes 5 minutes so why not? Then I will edit any ranges that need it and update environmentals on the fly.

About where to put it. I have a zippered pocket on my leg that I put it in that keeps it accessible and protected. Im pretty new to this so I'm always looking for a better way to do things, but I think it's fine for now
That's was my thought process also on having the targets on the kestrel that way all I have to do is environmentals, and as long as the distances are correct I'm good to go. I'm still new so I feel rushed between each stage and I'm trying to make systems that way its muscle memory. Right now I load mags and look at the next stage. Then get my dope ready and on my card. Then I'll help with moving stuff, spotting or getting brass. Each comp it seems to get a little easier to get ready. Thats also why im asking about the kestrel to see what works best.

You happy with the SAP kestrel holster? That is one that I have been looking at. Does it hold well and do you think there are any disadvantages carrying it on a belt.
I have no problems with it. I shot a bunch of 1 and 2 day matches with it and it's never fallen out of the holder while I'm on the clock rolling around on the ground and on props shooting stages. Can't complain.

Regarding your statements about building a pre and post-stage checklist, the most important thing is do the same thing every single time, in the same order every time, whatever that looks like.

For example, here's what I do post-stage

Post-stage:
* Mag out
* Flag in
* Scope to Zero
* Close scope caps
* Retrieve bags / tripod
* Collect brass
* Exit shooting position
* Set rifle down in post-stage area
* Bags back inside backpack
* Put away brass
* Reload mag(s) for next stage
* Loaded mags back in mag pouches on belt
* Post-stage notes in matchbook (number of hits, any notes about the stage you want to remember later, what you need to work on, etc)

Last edited:
Stretchy, single AR mag pouch like a Blue Force Gear/TenSpeed etc.

Attachments

• AB7B885C-A5A4-4F11-858E-22E821C7D0AD.jpeg
    AB7B885C-A5A4-4F11-858E-22E821C7D0AD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
When in use, I keep mine on my tripod in a weather vane mount but without the other vane parts. The mount is attached to a cinema rail along with binos and soon, a spotting scope that should be here this week. Otherwise, it’s in my backpack.

Tripod or belt pouch.

FYI if you're going to keep it in your pocket make sure to lock the environmentals.

Ask me how I know 🤪

I keep mine in one of these from NiteIze, I think it's the XL, I've had it so long I've forgotten. Anyway, it keeps the Kestrel protected and I can clip it to my belt, pack, or whatever easily enough.

1675340604215.png

Reactions: Andrew863
Cole tac kestrel pouch on a longtuckysupply fanny pack's molle webbing for me.

Several companies make kydex belt sheaths.

I keep mine on belt. It’s rare, but I have had it happen where I messed up on my arm board or dialed the wrong dope on a single target stage.

I was able to save stage by pulling kestrel out for data.