• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best way to carry a rifle with a mystery ranch pac

tmckay2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
what say you?

i know i could just sling it through the cinches on the crew cab, but i want some sort of sleeve because at night in the mountains the dew will start to rust the action (actually had it happen with a 1911). anyone tried anything for carrying bolt action rifles with the MR packs?

Re: best way to carry a rifle with a mystery ranch pac

Check out this video.

http://vimeo.com/14016458

I have a dragon slayer and I can use this same method. It works very well and I can't recommend Mystery Ranch enough. They are worth the money. They do have some new packs that are specifically designed to carry a rifle.

I guess I'd rather have an Eberlestock Dragonfly that has the center mounted rifle scabbard.

My highly modified 3,000 cu. in. Camelbak Commander hunting pack can mount a rifle or skis or snowshoes on the sides like the Mystery Ranch pack, but the carry weight is quite lopsided and uncomfortable when carrying a rifle. (Don't ask...)

And then there's the problem of trying to get at the rifle in a hurry with conventional packs.

With the Eberlestock rifle packs ya just pull the rifle up and out while the pack is still on yer back. That's why hunters and military snipers prefer it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'd rather have an Eberlestock Dragonfly that has the center mounted rifle scabbard.

My highly modified 3,000 cu. in. Camelbak Commander hunting pack can mount a rifle or skis or snowshoes on the sides like the Mystery Ranch pack, but the carry weight is quite lopsided and uncomfortable when carrying a rifle. (Don't ask...)

And then there's the problem of trying to get at the rifle in a hurry with conventional packs.

<span style="color: #FF0000">With the Eberlestock rifle packs ya just pull the rifle up and out while the pack is still on yer back. That's why hunters and military snipers prefer it. </span> </div></div>

With a full pack cinched up for moving through the woods they're not actually that easy to get the rifle out. They're a lot more secure than you would think, and your gun just doesn't pop right out when you need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'd rather have an Eberlestock Dragonfly that has the center mounted rifle scabbard.

<span style="color: #FF0000">With the Eberlestock rifle packs ya just pull the rifle up and out while the pack is still on yer back. That's why hunters and military snipers prefer it. </span> </div></div>

With a full pack cinched up for moving through the woods they're not actually that easy to get the rifle out. They're a lot more secure than you would think, and your gun just doesn't pop right out when you need it. </div></div>

I've been around a lot of packs, including Eberlestock, I feel the Mystery Ranch allows you to hold the ENTIRE load tighter to your body which makes it more secure and comfortable... even with a rifle strapped to one side. You can easily balance the load out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With the Eberlestock rifle packs ya just pull the rifle up and out while the pack is still on yer back. That's why hunters and military snipers prefer it. </div></div>

I have yet to see this feat pulled off when using a long barreled rifle and a loaded ruck.

It's usually much faster to dump the ruck and slide the rifle out. This would be the preferred method in a tactical situation as well since standing up waving your arms over your head is a pretty poor use of cover or concealment.

I am hoping to get my hands on one of the new MR Overload Three Zip packs. If I was trucking a ton of crap for a long way, this really seems like the way to go. You also have the ability to cinch it up like a regular ruck if you are not carrying the rifle on your back.

True the MR pack takes longer to stow/deploy the weapon, but if speed is your requirement.....why the hell is your rifle in your ruck instead of in your hands?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True the MR pack takes longer to stow/deploy the weapon, but if speed is your requirement.....why the hell is your rifle in your ruck instead of in your hands? </div></div>

+1. That statement right there will help more than anything to make a sound decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have yet to see this feat pulled off when using a long barreled rifle and a loaded ruck.</div></div>

I would have agreed with you till I saw Skinney do it this year while we were filming some predator hunting for the Carnivore crew.

40+lbs of gear in his G4 Operator pack, plus his .260 rem with a 24" barrel and 8" suppressor.
Coyote popped up 50 feed away from us and before the host even had his rifle off his shoulder, skinney had his pulled up and out of his pack and laid lead.
Could I accomplish this with my rifle and my gear...not in the time it would take to make a shot.

But like you said, if speed is that important, it probably shouldn't be in the pack anyway.

my Mystery ranch gun bay coplete set up, I can carry all what I need, my 20 inches inside.

PC160079.jpg

PC160074.jpg

PC160024.jpg

PC160019.jpg

PC160012.jpg

I have a MR Overload 3 zip and it allows the rifle to be carried (or a mortar tube) between the pack and frame. Also I can throw it on the side for quicker access. The ability to carry the rifle against the frame with the load on top cinched down works VERY well compared to my Eberlestock packs that I had (G2 & Jackhammer set up for the folder to sit inside the pack against the frame without protruding below the bottom of the pack.

The only thing I have been looking to do for quicker access (to carry as an accessory) is something like the Kifaru rifle sling where there is a butt bucket at my waist and the forearm is retained under my armpit for quick release. The MR waist belt is so comfortable I feel the supporting a heavy rifle would still maintain a high level of comfort. It is called the gunbearer http://kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

Needless to say the MR Overload 3 zip has options which is very nice. I used to have to stuff objects into the scabbard of the G2 when not carrying a rifle for load stability.

Matt

I just purchased an MR Popup 38 and was hoping to use it for my Tikka T3x TAC A1 for moving from iteration to iteration. I suppose I could fold the stock and pack the rifle like boned out meat. Thoughts?

I just got (arrived last night) a Mystery Ranch, Marshal Pack (on sale at Mountain Archery) for next elk season. It seems like a good 6K+ expedition pack, and I need the meat hauling feature. I carry my bow in a sling.

For rifle I have one of these Vorn Packs. I've used just about everything, and nothing comes close to this. The rifle is completely secured and tight in the pack (if the rifle moves around it drives me crazy), and then it's in your hands and ready to go in a half second.

Reactions: Odysseus1911