• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Best way to clean a scope lens?

Notso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Sin City
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I had no luck searching.... I noticed both the eye and Obj lens on my S&B PMII has some dust particles on the outside. It's not too bad and I can still see fine, but it shows up big time when I'm shooting late in the day with the sun low and I'm getting some direct sunlight into the lens. I live in a windy, dusty climate not unlike the sandbox.

Anyway, I'm paranoid about scratching a $3200 scope lens, so what's the best way to get it off? I have the Schmidt lens care kit that came with the scope but I wondered if using some compressed air like the computer dust spray cans would get the particles off the lens without having to rub it. Or am I just being too paranoid and I should just clean it with a cloth and solution from the lens kit?

Re: Best way to clean a scope lens?

Camera guys who are anal about their lenses use little squeeze air brushes that don't have a chance at scratching the coatings.

4010538.jpg

Other than that, I'd say that using compressed air for cleaning computer parts is fine, followed closely by moistened wipes made by Zeiss or whoever.

95857484-149x149-0-0_Zeiss+Zeiss+Pre+Moistened+Lens+Cloths+Wipes+400+Ct.jpg

US Optics has a good video on their website on how to clean lenses. When we built S&B's we used acetone and Q tips- we also use the same method on our scopes. Start at the center and work your way out using 1 Q tip per wipe. Use the best grade acetone you can get and dip the Q tip in it and then shake off the excess.
To remove heavy dust and soil blowing with air is good- just remember not to turn the can upside down as this can allow some of the propellant to get blown out of the can and I have seen where the propellant can cause spots on the lens coatings. I always start spraying the can first for a few seconds then move it across the lens area and then release the button. This helps to prevent the propellant from coming out.

Paul

OK guys I am still in the process of evaluating putting a camera lens coated UV filter on the objective lens of my 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope. So far I can not see any difference with it or without it. I compare with & without by having my buddy hold it in front of the scope and then move away. If it works out I do not have to ever clean the lens only the UV filter.

40gt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys I am still in the process of evaluating putting a camera lens coated UV filter on the objective lens of my 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope. So far I can not see any difference with it or without it. I compare with & without by having my buddy hold it in front of the scope and then move away. If it works out I do not have to ever clean the lens only the UV filter.

40gt</div></div>

What does this have to do with cleaning a scope lens? If you're posting babble to boost your post count (which so far you have) you're not going to be around long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">US Optics has a good video on their website on how to clean lenses. When we built S&B's we used acetone and Q tips- we also use the same method on our scopes. Start at the center and work your way out using 1 Q tip per wipe. Use the best grade acetone you can get and dip the Q tip in it and then shake off the excess.
To remove heavy dust and soil blowing with air is good- just remember not to turn the can upside down as this can allow some of the propellant to get blown out of the can and I have seen where the propellant can cause spots on the lens coatings. I always start spraying the can first for a few seconds then move it across the lens area and then release the button. This helps to prevent the propellant from coming out.

Paul </div></div>
Paul, thanks. Good stuff and I'll check out the video. I was afraid to use the compressed air and perhaps drive some of the dust further into the corners. But the lenses are obviously sealed well, so shouldn't be a problem.

You send that scope to me and I will prove a hell of a difference in light transmission. We have a spectrometer that measures this and you start cutting UV frequencies and you start playing with the lenses ability to correctly transmit light for the desired (engineered) optical design which of course will lead to problems with things like color, contrast and resolution.
BUT that said if your eye doesn't see a difference then good for you but I think you would see something in different light conditions but that's just my 2 cents worth.

Paul

Has anyone ever just used a micro-fiber towel? Before, after or during any part of the lens cleaning? I'm curious because I use them on my eye glasses all the time. Most of the time with no chemical or anything needed.

My personal approach is this: For fingerprints or generally when I'm reasonably sure that there is no grit on the lens that is hard enough to scratch the coatings, I use a simple microfiber cloth. More persistent oily/greasy stuff gets an acetone/q-tip treatment before the microfiber wipe. If there is mud, sand or dust from sand/soil on the lens, I put on some dishwashing detergent and rinse under lots of tap water before drying with a paper towel and the final microfiber treatment.

The key point here is to avoid any kind of wiping when there is something on the lens that can scratch the coatings. That's why you need to get rid of anything that contains the likes of sand before wiping with a cloth or lenspen. There are many cases where blowing air or using a fine brush just doesn't remove stuff that really sticks to the lens. Running water and some detergent has worked well for me so far, sometimes supported by gentle rubbing with the bare fingertip while rinsing. Afterwards I just wipe off the minor stains that drying water leaves on the lens.

If Iuse a microfiber or any other kind of cloth, I make sure to keep it <span style="font-weight: bold">clean</span>, one grain of sand embedded in the cloth can be enough. This precludes the use of a cloth in many situations, it's basically only good for maintenance at home, after a prior cleaning that removes any hard particles.

I want to stress that I wouldn't recommend this procedure if you want to minimize risks as far as possible, but you have to put things into perspective and remember that it's a tool and not a medical instrument after all. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity when I'm out hunting just because I don't have anything else but the sleeve of my jacket to clean a fogged ocular lens, being perfectly aware that I'm risking a cratch in the process. From a functional point of view, minor scratches are overrated anyway. Removing large parts of the coatings with bad cleaning practices over extended periods of time is a different story.

I remove the lenses and run them through a cycle in the dishwasher, then put them back in, works like a charm.

NOTE- I ONLY do this to my HIGH END scopes like countersniper and BSA, you know the ones that have quality enough glass to require my time and effort for deep cleaning

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If there is mud, sand or dust from sand/soil on the lens, I put on some dishwashing detergent and rinse under lots of tap water before drying with a paper towel and the final microfiber treatment... Running water and some detergent has worked well for me so far, sometimes supported by gentle rubbing with the bare fingertip while rinsing. Afterwards I just wipe off the minor stains that drying water leaves on the lens.</div></div>I wouldn't use dish soap and I wouldn't dry with a paper towel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't use dish soap and I wouldn't dry with a paper towel.</div></div>
As I said, I wouldn't recommend that anyone else uses that method either, especially if the person is very concerned with the maximum protection of his lenses. It has just happened to work well for me so far and is very convenient, and I will continue to do it at my own risk until I run into some terrible consequences.
wink.gif

The paper towel is just to suck up the water that you cannot shake/blow off. Not for wiping.

Ground and flattened wood pulp on an expensive lense, no thanks. Hit it with compressed air, then use acetone and plain unscented facial tissue in circular motions going from the inside to the outside, using a new one everytime.

One of those camera lens dust brushes are good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this has been asked before, but I had no luck searching.... I noticed both the eye and Obj lens on my S&B PMII has some dust particles on the outside. It's not too bad and I can still see fine, but it shows up big time when I'm shooting late in the day with the sun low and I'm getting some direct sunlight into the lens. I live in a windy, dusty climate not unlike the sandbox.

Anyway, I'm paranoid about scratching a $3200 scope lens, so what's the best way to get it off? I have the Schmidt lens care kit that came with the scope but I wondered if using some compressed air like the computer dust spray cans would get the particles off the lens without having to rub it. Or am I just being too paranoid and I should just clean it with a cloth and solution from the lens kit? </div></div>

I take my rifle to the sink,get the water warm with low/medium flow,grab the sprayer nozzle and rinse of both lenses,then wipe with a ShamWoW that was set aside new just for this purpose.If you're really anal you can follow the sink rinse with some distilled water/5% alcohol mix in a spray bottle then wipe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this has been asked before, but I had no luck searching.... I noticed both the eye and Obj lens on my S&B PMII has some dust particles on the outside. It's not too bad and I can still see fine, but it shows up big time when I'm shooting late in the day with the sun low and I'm getting some direct sunlight into the lens. I live in a windy, dusty climate not unlike the sandbox.

Anyway, I'm paranoid about scratching a $3200 scope lens, so what's the best way to get it off? I have the Schmidt lens care kit that came with the scope but I wondered if using some compressed air like the computer dust spray cans would get the particles off the lens without having to rub it. Or am I just being too paranoid and I should just clean it with a cloth and solution from the lens kit? </div></div>

AIR is a good answer! BUT don't use the liquid gas as it will sometimes spew out some liquid gas and will stick in the lens for a couple seconds and may damage any protective coating on your scope! NOT worth risking it. Just use plain air like the small air compressor, with a nozzle. Use this by placing atleast 8" away from the lens and NOT facing to the front of it but to the side. I do this for about a minute each side.

I also have a camera lens brush, a really soft fiber brush, like the brush women use to apply their make up. Use a bright flashlight (white or blue color bulb) look if there's any sand/particles, then after you have removed all the nasty stuff. And now, with a scope cloth (micro fiber) wipe off lens with now pressure at first, shake off the cloth (to remove sand if any) and repeat wiping with a little pressure and so on.

If there's some fingerprints, (who ever put their fingers on the lens should get their filthy fingers cut off
laugh.gif
j/k) I use a camera non-static, lint free cloth you get from a camera store or walmart or online. And use it with a camera lens cleaning liquid and use very little (half a drop, the less the better, as it will NOT leave a spot on the lens)just enough to get the finger print off, hell you can use your own warm breath to do this. Wipe from one direction ONLY! from one side to the other, and PASS ONLY ONCE. Flip over paper/cloth do same process, then toss it out and use another set of paper/cloth until it looks brand spankin' new. It should clean out no more than 3 passes. Good luck and be safe...

I will second the reservations on the cleiing gas like the "dust=ff" brand....see the warning on it on camera coatings....

No could I add one more question?

Someone suggested acetone...I have benn using it on flashlight laenses and reflectors but not toi any great result....
How about isopropylic alcohol? (do not know how it is branded in the US)

tnx, kostas

isopropylic should not be a problem as it is used to clean microscopic bits of dust/grease off optical fibre interfaces without leaving hardly any residue on a 'lens' much smaller than a human hair, but you would still have to remove sand or dust first.

I remember reading something about not using tap water on coated lenses. Think it had to do with the chemicals and minerals in the water damaging the coatings. Instead they said to use distilled water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys I am still in the process of evaluating putting a camera lens coated UV filter on the objective lens of my 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope. So far I can not see any difference with it or without it. I compare with & without by having my buddy hold it in front of the scope and then move away. If it works out I do not have to ever clean the lens only the UV filter.

40gt</div></div>

What does this have to do with cleaning a scope lens? If you're posting babble to boost your post count (which so far you have) you're not going to be around long. </div></div>

It means that after your scope lens is clean you can protect it for ever and never have to clean it again only the UV filter.

Maybe if you had some experience with ultra high end camera lenses you would understand.

40gt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys I am still in the process of evaluating putting a camera lens coated UV filter on the objective lens of my 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope. So far I can not see any difference with it or without it. I compare with & without by having my buddy hold it in front of the scope and then move away. If it works out I do not have to ever clean the lens only the UV filter.

40gt</div></div>

What does this have to do with cleaning a scope lens? If you're posting babble to boost your post count (which so far you have) you're not going to be around long. </div></div>

It means that after your scope lens is clean you can protect it for ever and never have to clean it again only the UV filter.

Maybe if you had some experience with ultra high end camera lenses you would understand.

40gt </div></div>

tick tock, tick tock........

I use zeiss wipes also. They seem to work well and I even cleaned of one of my friend’s lenses which had hard caked on grimy oily dust from sitting for a few decades without scratching the objective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike said:
40gt said:
OK guys I am still in the process of evaluating putting a camera lens coated UV filter on the objective lens of my 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope. So far I can not see any difference with it or without it. I compare with & without by having my buddy hold it in front of the scope and then move away. If it works out I do not have to ever clean the lens only the UV filter.

40gt</div></div>

If you live in or around the desert area, I doubt that would ever work. Like here in Las Vegas, man the sands out here sticks and gets to anything and everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys I am still in the process of evaluating putting a camera lens coated UV filter on the objective lens of my 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope. So far I can not see any difference with it or without it. I compare with & without by having my buddy hold it in front of the scope and then move away. If it works out I do not have to ever clean the lens only the UV filter.

40gt</div></div>

40gt </div></div>

tick tock, tick tock........ </div></div>

x2.

I use compressed air, Camera lens brush, camera lens cleaning fluid, and camera lens cleaning cloth,

I kinda like 40gt idea. Have the protectors on my high end nikon camera. Screw the protector off and clean it and very seldom have to clean the lens. Do they make one that will screw into the ID threads of a S&B 56mm scope tube?