• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best way to clean a trigger group?

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
I've read a fair bit about this and everyone seems to have a better way. Consequently, I'm looking for a majority opinion and have decided to try and find it here because so far I've received the best rifle advice from this site - by far!

FYI - the trigger is a Rem. 40x that has been heavily worked and breaks at 1 pound.

Thanks for your help

Re: Best way to clean a trigger group?

I use lighter fluid, the stuff in the yellow bottle. For my synthetic stocked guns, I just hose it down throughout the top with the bolt out. If your 40x has a wood stock it may screw with the finish.

Trigger job in a bottle for a dirty trigger.

I'll be trying the lighter fluid and compressed air tonight on my remmy trigger.

Jewell recommends lighter fluid,and thats what I use.If the trigger is really gummed up,like in a used rifle that some bozo has used wd-40 on,I'll give it a shot of degreaser,like brake cleaner,carb cleaner,or electrical contact cleaner,then a shot of lighter fluid.Watch your stock finish,most of this stuff can harm it. Pete

You do not have to remove the trigger,but removing th barrelled action from the stock makes it easier. Pete

Hornady makes a lube/cleaner that comes in an aerosol can. Works good for me

Is your 40x synthetic stocked? If so, don't even remove the barreled action, just hose it down.

I used brake cleaner on my remmy triggers if they get oily.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used brake cleaner on my remmy triggers if they get oily.

Aron-</div></div>

I asked about using brake cleaner and I was told it dries out the insides too much. Lighter fluid will leave a small amount of lubricant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked about using brake cleaner and I was told it dries out the insides too much. Lighter fluid will leave a small amount of lubricant.</div></div>

Thank you. I was just about to ask what makes lighter fluid so special!

Would CLP work if the excess was blown out with an air hose? Or would this leave to much lubricant to attract dirt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lighter fluid. Zippo brand is good to go. It may be a little more expensive, but some of the cheaper brands can gum stuff up. </div></div>

LW, No issues with an AI chassis? (the plastic)

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LW, No issues with an AI chassis? (the plastic)

Mark </div></div>

I have no idea. I have never put lighter fluid on the skins of my AI.

Flushing the trigger is not something you have to do all the time. When I do it on my 700's I pull the action. If I were going to do it on the AE, then I would probably pull the skins. It doesn't take any time at all to remove and reinstall them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LW, No issues with an AI chassis? (the plastic)

Mark </div></div>

I have no idea. I have never put lighter fluid on the skins of my AI.

Flushing the trigger is not something you have to do all the time. When I do it on my 700's I pull the action. If I were going to do it on the AE, then I would probably pull the skins. It doesn't take any time at all to remove and reinstall them. </div></div>

Sounds good, one of those things that you may do if you got it really dirty or if you had the action out for whatever else.

I do it annually on department rifles. They don't get drug through the mud regularly. If a trigger problem develops, then cleaning the trigger should be the first step before any adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oud272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would CLP work if the excess was blown out with an air hose? Or would this leave to much lubricant to attract dirt? </div></div>

No no no, you probably wouldn't get a single range session out if that before it started to gum up. Lighter fluid, it leaves a little something behind that is virtually undetectable. It also acts like a solvent to flush crap out.

On my AW, I just hose down through the top, I don't bother taking the skins off. Ive flushed mine a few times and the skins are fine. If it makes you feel better, wipe out the trigger guard where the pool forms.

Thanks. Great tip. Going to get the lighter fluid now.