• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to mount sling and bipod on McMillan HTG?

wslowik

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I'm ordering a drop-in HTG for my SPS Tactical and can't decide how to configure it. I want to use just a sling most of the time, but have the option to attach a Harris bipod. It looks like they come standard with two studs. Should I just get a second stud up front? Or should I get the Wichita swivels and a single stud up front? Can they even do that? Thanks for any help.

Re: Best way to mount sling and bipod on McMillan HTG?

flushcups in the side and bottom. Stud up front for the harris.

Just attach the front sling swivel to the Harris stud. Get a single stud up front and one in the rear and it will work fine. This is an HTG in the pic.
PC170467.jpg

Do you ever remove your bipod, or just leave it on all the time? I'm thinking if I'm removing it somewhat frequently it would get annoying moving the sling from the stud on the bipod to the stud on the stock. Maybe not, I don't know.

If that is a concern, either mount the sling behind the bipod or like stated above, use a flush cup on the side.

Never take the bipod off unless I am sending the rifle in for work. No reason to take it off otherwise. Why would you take it off?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wslowik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you ever remove your bipod, or just leave it on all the time? I'm thinking if I'm removing it somewhat frequently it would get annoying moving the sling from the stud on the bipod to the stud on the stock. Maybe not, I don't know. </div></div>

Live large and get a Talon attachment for your sling. While you are spending all that time taking your bipod on and off you press a button and flip the keeper.......I know.....call me silly......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">flushcups in the side and bottom. Stud up front for the harris. </div></div>

Flush cups on both sides and it eliminates the turn out and the sling lays more flat on your support hand.

When on the Harris stud the sling lays pretty flat against the back of your hand and doesn't pinch. A flush cup would work also.
P1100495.jpg

I have mine rigged like Rob01. I'm not declaring it "best", as that's subjective. It works for me.

CopyofPB140003.jpg

I put Freeland rails on the bottom of my HTGs with a stud for the bipod, and two flush cups on the left side. For shooting, I keep the sling attached to the bipod in the front, a palm stop in the rail, and the sling mounted in the cup in the rear.

Do the Harris bipods come with that sling swivel already on it or do you have to order them with it? Which sling are you guys running?

Yes, it has it on it allready. I use a tab gear sling in flush cups with harris or atlas bipods. Thats me with my manners and mcmillians

Nothing between. On a choate stock on my savage loaner rifle that has an anshultz rail, it has slop, but any stock with a straight swivel stud up front should have no slop at all. Just make sure its snug and you should be gtg