• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best way to set OAL? Lee DL seating dies

29aholic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southwest MO
With a comparator? The issue I am having is with my Lee dead length seater. I set the seater on the first round to standard 2.800" but I am getting OAL's all over the map. I am assuming from slight variations in ogive.

Suggestions?

BTW I started with the OAL at magazine length and didn't seem to have this issue it only seemed like it showed up when I tried to go shorter.

You must set your OAL with that center screw thingy onthe seater die. It isn't possible for an OAL to be "all over the map" nor is it possible to measure such a thing; say what you're talking about if you want a reasonable answer.

You must set your OAL with that center screw thingy onthe seater die. It isn't possible for an OAL to be "all over the map" nor is it possible to measure such a thing; say what you're talking about if you want a reasonable answer.

I know how to set the die. The issue is I get it set where I want it and the next cartridge may be the same OAL or several thousandth's shorter/longer

Are you using a comparator? I use the Lee DL seating die and get very consistent cartridge lengths with 69g Match Kings in 223 USING THE COMPARATOR. OAL to the bullet tips can and does vary by several thousandths - the manufacturing process just doesn't make for perfectly consistent tip length, and apparently that doesn't have much effect on accuracy.

Are you using a comparator? I use the Lee DL seating die and get very consistent cartridge lengths with 69g Match Kings in 223 USING THE COMPARATOR. OAL to the bullet tips can and does vary by several thousandths - the manufacturing process just doesn't make for perfectly consistent tip length, and apparently that doesn't have much effect on accuracy.

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. I'll buy a comparator. I just thought it was weird the longer ones were more consistent. I also didn't know if the seater plug in the Lee dies may have been smaller than other dies.
Thanks again.

A couple of things I do...learned from others. Polish the inside of the case necks with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a brass brush and spun in a drill motor. Lube the inside of the necks with dry lube...I use graphite in alcohol. Raise the ram and allow the case to sit in the seating die while I charge and pick up a bullet for the next load. That seems to "relax" the fit and it doesn't seem to creep. JMHO

The ogive is more consistent than the bullet length but it's still not perfect. The best you can do is use a seat die with a cupped stem to engage the ogive. Bullet seating via the ogive will give a lot more consistent performance at the shooting bench during load development. Forster and Redding make excellent sliding sleeve seat dies with cupped stems. I prefer Forster. Hornady makes a cheap knock-off but doesn't have the same tolerances as Forster or Redding.

Easy answer buy a comparator I have a hex and a hornady version I would say to go with the hex version it cost less and works great The ogive will always be consistent unless you are using blem or 2nd run heads and even then it isn't off very often. Hex Style Bullet Comparator #2 - Gunstop Reloading Supplies

That Hex comparator is pretty neat in having all the calibers in one piece. Can you attach it to a caliper for two handed use (cartridge in one hand, caliper/comparator in the other) the way you can with the Hornady?

That Hex comparator is pretty neat in having all the calibers in one piece. Can you attach it to a caliper for two handed use (cartridge in one hand, caliper/comparator in the other) the way you can with the Hornady?

I put the hex in the caliper zero caliper the. Put the round I. Proper caliber hole and measure it with the caliper