• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best weapon mounted light?

mhptrooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
I'm in the market for a weapon mounted flashlight (I really don't care if it has a laser) for my glock 35. I need it to fit into a thigh holster; if you could suggest a holster to fit this combo-any advice would help! thanks in advance...

Re: best weapon mounted light?

We use streamlights on our duty glocks and I've never had a problem. I would recommend them without hesitation.

+1 for streamlight tlr1. I have two. One with a remote switch. I like being able to snap it off and on numerous weapons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recoil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for streamlight tlr1. I have two. One with a remote switch. I like being able to snap it off and on numerous weapons. </div></div>
+2 for streamlight, but I would opt for the tlr-1<span style="font-weight: bold">S</span> for the strobe option.

We have had problems with the TLR-1. I have one on my duty weapon right now that turns off randomly when the gun is fired.

I have been running a Surefire X200 for the last 8 yrs on my duty pistol and haven't had one problem...

Safariland makes a holster for just about any weapon light combo out there, but most retailers will only stock or list the G34/35 with TLR 1 or 2. Blade Tech or CompTac will make one for any combo.

Surefire only. While Streamlight makes a good light, I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of Surefire.
For pistol X300 is just about the Gold standard.
Safariland makes great holsters. I am curious, though, why are you set on a "thigh holster"?

I honestly think that if you are not a high volume shooter, the TLR is just fine. That's what we issue at my department. I think we have had one or two battery box issues since we started issuing them about 5 years ago. One of the females on my shift dropped hers, and broke the lense. It still worked just fine.

If you are a super-ninja shooter, I think the X300 is a little tougher. The mount is not likely to loosen up and come off either, which can happen on occasion with the TLR. To counter-act that, many people over-tighten the screw on the side of the streamlight.

The Streamlight switch is a little easier to use in my opinion. The X300 switch is a little stiffer to rock and get it to lock. But then once locked on, it is less likely to switch off in recoil.

They're both good lights. Right now the X300 is on sale on a father's day promo direct from Surefire. If you don't want to spend quite that much, the Streamlight is also very good, just not as bomb-proof. It is quite a bit less expensive, and still a very good light.

I had a issue with a TRL-1s with it not turn on right away. It seemed like there was a 3 second delay before you actually saw light. Streamlight replaced it with no problems but then I replaced it with a X300. My Glock 19 and 870 wear X300's full-time. Both guns have been shot quite a bit. I got over 20K rounds on my G19 and I have no clue how many rounds of birdshot, buckshot and slugs my 870 has on it. Both lights still work perfectly. However, I did kill a Surefire 6P LED on my 870.

We use TLR1's at my work that have the tendancy to loosen up and fall off if not checked at the beginning of a work day.

This week though I was away on course and was using surefire X200's, one of which came apart at the rail mounts (two of the three allen key bolts had fallen out somehow) and the rail just gave way... Not ideal.

They're both good weapon lights but I'd personally go Surefire because I trust their gear much more and will happily put my arse on the line with their gear and have done for years with very few issues.

I want to use it for the SWAT team...I'm thinking I'll be going with the surefire; and I'm really liking the blade-tech...but it only comes for the x200 light-can you special order it with the x300? thanks for the advice!

Got a TRL-1S on my Duty weapon, never had an issue with it ever. Surefire is a little more expensive but you can't put a price on your duty gear if your life is on the line blah blah blah

There are a few threads on weapon lights going right now, but a +1 for TLR-1 and TLR-2 from me. Great lights.

I really like the Blade-Tech holster...but I don't see a holster offered for the x300 Surefire light; do the x200 and 300 both work off of the same platform? Will they both fit in the same holster?

Just my .02 but whatever you choose get something that strobes. I can literally say I have had people fall to the ground when hit with the strobe. Run Surefires on both the glock and M4.

Surefire X300, it's easy and fast to swap between multiple platforms such as long guns, pistols and even Ops-Core type helmets. I've had mine for about 3-4 years so far with numerous trips overseas. It can take a decent beating as well.

I did some comparison on Midway between the TRL-1 and the Surefire X-300. There is about $100 difference between them and only 5 lumens, but you can get different back plates for the X-300, such as remote, and grip switches. I didn't see anything like that for the TRL-1 on the Midway site. There were other things, but the different backplates caught my interest.

TRL-1 and the TRL-1s (strobe) both are set up to take grip switches and are rock solid. I have used one on duty for around 6 years. I also have one on my patrol rifle. Streamlight just came out with a new model that takes 3 batteries but has a larger head for more light and still has a 2 hour run time and strobe. They also have a kit for long guns.

I started out with the old Streamlight M3s and those were complete garbage but they were cheap so it's what the job issued us. I purchased a Surefire X200 and the thing ran flawlessly. Never an issue and it sees a lot of use.

Ever since then, any light I buy that I'm going to use for work, I make sure that its a Surefire. Bit pricey but the things last and their customer service is top notch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did some comparison on Midway between the TRL-1 and the Surefire X-300. There is about $100 difference between them and only 5 lumens, but you can get different back plates for the X-300, such as remote, and grip switches. I didn't see anything like that for the TRL-1 on the Midway site. There were other things, but the different backplates caught my interest.</div></div>

Yup the pressure switch is a cool item. I have one for my X300 for my AR. Here's a pic from the Surefire site
XT07_ghost_M4_xlarge2_24556.png

I'm sold on the surefire...but will the 300 I get still fit in my blade tech holster? It's for a 200 series unit...I'm thinking so-but I want to be sure before I drop my money on it

I don't think it'll fit your holster. The X300 is a different design that the X200A/B series. I know that Blade-Tech can make certain holsters to fit your needs. You need to call them directly though.

I'm pretty surefire that BLADETECH can make holster for either light. But I'm not sure I would get one for an old design. Never had a problem with my X200

I have a TLR1 with a strobe function on my duty glock. I had a Surefire X300 on my old Nighthawk custom. Having both I will say the Surefire is WAY brighter but for the price I would buy a TLR1.