• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best Wilson Combat?

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
I was just wondering what those lucky enough to shoot them consider the best model?

I have not fired them all but I selected and shoot a "Tactical Elite" model. I also own and shoot other brands of quality 1911's and the Wilson is a very nice pistol.

Entirely subjective. thebolt likes the TE, I personally don't like flanged barrels so I'd go with something else. Obviously it's all personal taste. Wilson would probably tell you the Supergrades are the best.

Thanks for the replies.

I‘ve heard a lot of good things about the Tactical Elite.

I've got a standard CQB with zero options. Couldn't be happier. The accuracy is better than dedicated, Match Target guns I shot in the 70's in the Military.

Have three other friends with CQB's and one has a few other models as well. ALL of them trouble free, reliable and accurate.

Tough to go wrong with a wilson.

I think the CQB is their best seller.

I have been shooting this 8 years with the bull barrel, probably 8000 rounds and everyone i let shoot its first reaction is wow that is amazingly accurate. I am still in love with it but then I have nothing to compare it too because it was my first pistol.

I like Novak builds, but Wilsons are easier to get. Tend to agree with those above, have been using Wilson CQBs awhile, they work well (my current carry pistol is a CQB).

I have owned a bunch of Wilson's (all 9mm). The "best one" is highly subjective. They are all well built, accurate, and eat any ammo I care to shoot. My supergrade is a notch up in fit and finish, but not in proportion to the premium over a regular Wilson. I like bull barrels and light rails so my favorite is a CQB tac LE and my carry gun is a CQB lightrail lightweight Professional. I had one gun that needed a trip back for extraction issues, and Wilson's customer service was exceptional.

I have Supergrade in 9mm and 45acp, both are trouble free and accurate. I've owned mine for long time. I use others and go back to Wilson. I had a Kimber in 45 and it just did not fit my hand, was good pistol but sold it. Don't think I will sell the Wilsons I have because I don't know what I would replace them with. Go to shop where they have different brands and hold them and see what fits you the best if possible. My son loves them and they will go to him along with Colt Woodsman .22 lr. he keeps borrowing.

The Wilson Combat Tactical elite is a few hundred more expensive than the CQB & CQB elite. If anyone has used both do they think the extra is worth it?

Best Wilson Combat?

First of all, they are all bench-made customs so it doesn't much matter which one you get.

Secondly, is anyone left at Wilson of the original guys? How new is the oldest gunsmith?

Semi custom blasters (WC, Baer, Brown, etc) are off the rack good quality tools. In order to appeal to the masses the manufacturers offer a 'variety' of pistols. However when you really distill it down, those variations are really little more than ginger bread - checkering, paint, trigger and hammer types. When the customer starts to truly customize them with a lot of additional machining, exotic blueing, etc the cost is such that sanity of using one of these manufacturers vs a true custom smith comes into play.

They are all generally highly reliable and more accurate than most can make use of. On the secondary market, it is rare to come across one that has more than a little holster rub on the muzzle and a couple 2k rounds down the pipe.

ETA - I have some from the same guy that have the standard accuracy and then some from him with a 1/2" guarantee - in practical terms it just means wasted money b/c IPSC / IDPA / CCW isn't bullseye at 50.

IMHO the best WC is the one you get a screaming deal on. As for configuration their most basic CQB has everything and not a lot of superfluous goo on them.

Last edited:
The Wilson Combat Tactical elite is a few hundred more expensive than the CQB & CQB elite. If anyone has used both do they think the extra is worth it?

The TE is a little heavier and has a little less recoil than a CQB. The TE has a heavy flange type barrel and doesn't use a barrel bushing. Accuracy wise they are the same. I don't prefer one over the other.

I have a cqb elite in 5" 45ACP. Sold a LB Concept 5 and a STI tactical to buy it. It was worth it. Noticeably better than the Les Baer. If you ever build a 1911 you will realize that they aren't really all that expensive. As far as model goes, it's just what you like and are willing to pay for.

I own a Wilson and think it’s the best gun I own. I can’t put a price on my life. In a life & death situation you can bet your gropes will be larger than at the shooting range. If you can’t afford it I understand, but I will continue to carry mine.

Best Wilson Combat is a Nighthawk, in my opinion.

I've had a few issues with Wilson over the past few years, am done with them.

Nighthawk, on the other hand...

I had a Tac Elite and a Stealth.

The Tac Elite had fail to feeds from the beginning. Sent it back twice and it still was not reliable enough to carry.

The Stealth was a pleasure, very accurate and very reliable.

I definitely would recommend against the full length guide rods if it is going to be a carry pistol. Trying to fool with and keep up with the take down pins was a real hassle and prevents field stripping.
So look at the variations of the CQB.

fwiw - Once I tried a Les Baer, it was like magic and I was hooked. I traded the Wilsons for Baer SRP's and have been very happy with them. They are completely reliable, very accurate, and have a better feel in my hand. The Baer slide serrations are easier to grip for me, especially if the hands are sweaty. The Wilson two color night sights are really good though, I do miss those.

Last edited:
I had a Tac Elite and a Stealth.

The Tac Elite had fail to feeds from the beginning. Sent it back twice and it still was not reliable enough to carry.

The Stealth was a pleasure, very accurate and very reliable.

I definitely would recommend against the full length guide rods if it is going to be a carry pistol. Trying to fool with and keep up with the take down pins was a real hassle and prevents field stripping.
So look at the variations of the CQB.

fwiw - Once I tried a Les Baer, it was like magic and I was hooked. I traded the Wilsons for Baer SRP's and have been very happy with them. They are completely reliable, very accurate, and have a better feel in my hand. The Baer slide serrations are easier to grip for me, especially if the hands are sweaty. The Wilson two color night sights are really good though, I do miss those.

FWIW: I heard the TE comes from Wilson with a 15 pound recoil spring. Try the 18.5 pound recoil spring and see if that helps. I use the 18.5 in mine and have no issues.

I thought Wilson was the par excellence.

I have the option of buying a custom SVI from JPP Imports and was wondering how would a Wilson combat perform next to a SVI in relation to accuracy and durability?

I have a CQB and a Classic. But if you move up to the "Supergrades" and "Elites," then I think your money is better spent on an SVI Infinity. I have a few of those too and they are stellar. Far more customization.

I thought Wilson was the par excellence.

I have the option of buying a custom SVI from JPP Imports and was wondering how would a Wilson combat perform next to a SVI in relation to accuracy and durability?

Unless you are a Nationally Competitive Bullseye shooter, both an SV and Wilson are more accurate than you are. Both will shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards bench rested.

SV specializes in guns for competition and are a bit more cutting edge. You can get things like internally lightened slides to reduce felt recoil. The SV trigger is going to be better. Wilson is more traditional and may be a better choice for carry guns. I also think that Wilson has better QC. My Wilsons have all been solid, but 1 of my SVs had a number of issues that should have been obvious at the factory.