• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

better caliber for long range?

mkokc

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
Oklahoma
im new to the page and I hope this is the correct forum for this question, I currently have a 25-06AI in a Rem 700, I know long term I don't want to stick with the caliber, im trying to figure out what I could switch to that I still have a decent B.C. and I don't have to do all kinds of work to prep my brass, would love to find a cartridge that I could buy brass for to save a few steps, ive had some folks tell me to look into the 6.5-06 but I know I would still have to do some resizing and trimming for that specific cartridge, any help is appreciated, thanks!

I hear ya on the .308, I have a .308 in a SA currently, my 25-06AI is a LA, I know there have been some builds with .308 in a LA, but I was really wanting to see if anyone out there has taken a similar route and went with a diff cartridge in their LA's to get where I'm wanting to get to

I think if you wanted to stay with a long action cartridge the 6.5-06 is prob the best option. If you wanted to go short action cartridge then either 260rem or 308win. There are pros and cons all the way around. :confused:

The first question you need to answer, is what range you want to shoot accurately to? The maximum range you want to shoot accurately to will help you to narrow down your choices of caliber. If you plan to hunt with the rifle at long range then you need to be able to source hunting bullets for it that will retain enough velocity to stop what you are shooting at. That will also help you choose because good hunting bullets with high BC are not available in all calibers.

If you are only going to shoot steel or paper, then you needs something that will stay supersonic to the range you want to reach.

This rifle will primarily be a steel rifle, with the occasional trip up north for coyotes, being in Oklahoma it just depends on what side of the state your on for distance, I'd like to be able to reliably hit 1500 yards, not sure I'll get the opportunity to go farther than that around here

Brian Litz addresses long range and calibers in his books on Applied Ballistics. Of course the big boy is the 338 Lapua, but he details how with the proper bullets (Berger 230 gr, Hybrids), that you can maintain supersonic speeds out in the 1500 yard range with a 300 Winchester Magnum, assuming you are at a proper altitude. The 300 WM gives decent range with a much longer barrel life than the 338 LM, but the 338 will reach farther. Component costs are much higher with the 338 LM.

I've heard tell of 308 being used at that range, but most discount it past 1,000 yards.

Your action is already configured pretty optimally for the .280 Rem., which employs the case capacity of the '06 chambering at just about peak efficiency. That's my idea of a good place to start with what you have.

Greg

6.5 x 06. Does everything a .260 will do a little better. Not overbore. With all your 25 - 06 brass it is an easy thing to do. I went to it from 30-06 due to recoil and I must say I can easily shoot this 6.5 x 06 with 130 or 140 grains and it does not cause me any shoulder problems. Pay attention to your twist on your barrel. You have .264 bullets from 100 grains to 142 grains (on the extreme end down to 85 gr and the top end at 160 grn). Mine happens to like Berger 130 Hunting VLDs but does well with Sierras and some Amaxes. Still doing some development. You can use 25 - 06, .270 and 30-06 brass. The .270 takes a bunch of trimming but it works.

The hard part is powder, like everyone else H4350, H4831sc seem to be the ones to use. Bullets are easy to find for me in about every weight.

This can be a 1K gun. After that it is up to you, your glass and balistic program.

6.5-06 sounds like an easy one to do on your rifle too --same bolt, same action, same mag, etc. Otherwise, for long action, the .300WM isn't a bad one to look at. I used to have a 700 PSS in .300WM and it sure had some reach. But regarding .308, anything 6.5 will outperform that ballistic-wise, particularly when given even the same or better, a larger size case! .300WM can take advantage of heavier bullets with much better BC than the .308 can, so if you want .30 cal. bullets with long range, this is the ticket. And yeah, it'll last a lot longer than .338 or any of those super long range calibers will. It'll cost a lot less too. I got into fifty, and let me tell you, that's an expensive one to get started in. But after initial cost, the components aren't THAT bad, considering. Components for other long range rifles cost MUCH more.

You also have the 6.5 Creedmore, real popular, 6.5x47 Lapua, .260Rem., etc. And 6.5-06. As for modifying brass, modifying .30-06 (and maybe even what you have) into 6.5-06 will be easier than you think. You can go on the cheap on components this way, as it's that rare brass that kills you on cost. You'd be able to use all the high BC and heavy 6.5 pills, and with that case capacity, be able to way outperform, I'd imagine, any of the smaller 6.5's out there.

And all you need is a good set of dies, a good trimmer and caliper (which you likely have already) and a nice, new 6.5-06 bbl. of your choice. If you were gonna handload anyway, this would be my pick.

I'm with Greg L on the 280 or 280AI suggestion. 175-180gr 7mm bullets @ 2850-2950ish work awesome. The OP mentions 1000+ yard shooting (out to 1500). Unless he switches the bolt out for a magnum, ain't nothing else gonna run with a 280/280AI to those distances, except maybe a 284, whose only real advantage is being able to be stuffed (poorly) into a short action.

That all said, I sure do have a hankering to set up an improved 6.5x55!

With your current bolt face and action length, 6.5-06, 280 or 280 Ackley Improved, .30-'06 or .30-'06 Ackley Improved. I don't think you're going to 1500 yds. right off the bat, but .280 AI will probably get you the farthest. If 6.5 can suffice for your hunting, due to the limited bullet weight at 140 grains, it is good. If you want to be able to buy brass, and shoot max of 1000 yds., .30-'06 and used mil surplus brass, Lake City, GTG.
Jiim