• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Better footwear?

RedRoo$ter527

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2018
Wanting to start a thread for everyone's opinions on boots/footwear for hunting, work, every day stuff, or whatever. I myself having very flat feet I've always tried to be thoughtful of my boot choices and lately have had to purchase some new work boots. The boots I've previously had I liked a lot and have owned several pairs, but after the last two wearing out prematurely I've looked at another brand. The brand I used to wear also makes the hunting boots I'm now using and I'm seeing lack of durability in them now too. So with that said I'd like to hear what you guys choice to wear for your application and why

What kind of a climate are you in?
Most likely, I cannot recommend any specific boots: different conditions tend to require different footwear. I always want to try shoes or boots for fit. Ordering footwear online is not something that I like to do. Only done it once and consider it very lucky that those boots fit. Or maybe the detailed store instructions and descriptions for fit helped....

Agreed, fit is something I have a hard time with as it is do to having flat/narrow feet. For as climate I'm in the ozarks so I get a little bet of everything, anywhere from 10 degrees in the winter to 100 degrees in the summer, with mid to high humidity

I found Crispi boots about 5 years ago and I now have 2 pairs and even bought my wife a pair too because I'm such a fan. I have flat feet as well and don't like high arch boots. I have the Hunter 11" high boots and have used them in extreme cold temps with snow shoes and they performed fantastic. I've had them resoled after 3 years and they came out so well I decided to invest in my second pair for earlier season hunting. I went with the Dakota GTX and they've been super comfortable as well. Had Danners before these boots and Crispi blows them out of the water. Another thing to consider is buying good insoles. They can make a huge difference.

Reactions: JoedirtPNW
I've had and broken Danner, Redwing, Carolina, Hoffman, Timberland and a few others. The best boots I've found have been Whites. They aren't cheap, especially if you do a custom fit profile and have em custom made like I did. I have feet that are flat as a board and on the narrow side. The initial investment was high but subsequent rebuilds are cheap and by the time you need a rebuild it brings the price way way down to cheaper per year than what the others would have cost anyway. I'm in boots anywhere from 12 to 20 hours a day every day and these things last. Anywhere from climbing poles to digging holes to working on concrete, mud, asphalt to streams and rain or snow or cow shit and chemicals. Find a style they make that suits what you need and talk to them to customize if you need to. They are worth it. I've also been wearing a pair of Asolo hikers too daily as a general boot. They have lasted a year and need to be looked at for replacement. They are certainly light. I may grab another pair.

People have a couple of different philosophies on boot construction. 1) use goretex or wharever other membranes to keep them dry and 2) use leather and nothing else, and treat it with shoe wax or cream. For the latter, one justification is that boots will get wet anyway, one way or another; and the fewer liners and membranes you have, the faster it dries.

A couple of different insoles may be a great idea for adjusting fit to the socks you are using in the temps of the day.

I’ve used Merrells, Timberlands, Salomons (great everyday shoes), and for hunting, depending on weather conditions I use either a pair of Columbia boots with goretex, or a light weight pair of Under Armour boots. This last season though, between probably 4 or 5 days of actual hunting and packing out game, I hiked somewhere around 35+ miles combined (a lot of up and down in hilly WY terrain) and my boots were great for the most part. My only complaint is that at the end of my last 2 days of packing critters out, the toe nail on my big toe on my right foot turned purple/black (still is). I’m guessing it was just from my toes slamming into the front of my boot when going downhill...?

I am currently wearing Danner Quarry USA for work. They have held up great, except the toes both have holes in them which allows my feet to get wet.
I would buy them again in a heart beat, however I would install some type of toe guard to protect the toe. My last three of four pairs of boots have all had the flat white sole on them as I'm on concrete for 9 or 10 hours a day and they are much more comfortable than anything with a heel.

Last fall, I went to Idaho on a black bear hunt and wore a pair of Scarpa Kinesis GTX and for the five days of hiking, they were incredible. They are my favorite thing to wear all day every day. However, I don't wear them to work because I'm sure with the welding and everything else, they would get destroyed rather quick.

I've also worn Georgia boots quite a bit. Never once have I had to break them in. I can put them on and work all day with no foot pain.

For long backpacking trips, I’m a huge fan of asolo fugitives. I’ve hiked countless miles through the frank church, hells canyon, selway, gospel hump, and Daniel Evans wilderness areas. This was always staying on clear trails, switchbacking up ridges with no trail blazing.

For hunting I’m really a big fan of hoffman’s 8” explorers. They give the extra support, and protection I need that the fugitives lack for climbing up the steep ridges here.

For everyday during late fall-early spring at the shop and farm I like my danner quarys. After four years I’m having to replace my first pair as the interior liner behind my heel is starting to rip.

I’m a fan of gortex, but it’s a two way street. It keeps water out and the sweat in. In my opinion a great boot will preform badly when using poor quality, out of season socks, or unchanged socks.

My biggest piece of advice is bring enough socks so you can change twice a day and have a way to dry your boots at night. Also, a good set of gators can make a giant difference. It sucks, but if you have to cross a deep stream or river, take off your boots and do it barefooted.

Wore Whites boots for years till they when to crap. Researched it and found out they sold out to China. Same workers, same material, different management poor quality control. Switched to Nick’s, they feel like Whites used too. I have a pair for every activity, we’re them every day. Also, quality socks will greatly effect your thoughts about foot wear. “Cotton is rotten”. Quality hiking/work socks in the $15 plus a pare will do. I still have my first pair of quality socks I bought as a boot in the Corps.

I'm a shoe guy. I learned early on if your feet are not happy neither is the rest of your body.

Socks: smart wool or any comprarable advanced sock. It's the only thing on your skin. If you can spend $100+ on shoes you can spend $12 on a pair of socks.

Boots:
hunting- Meindl https://meindl.de/
Working- Nicks https://nicksboots.com/
Hiking/light duty: Salomon https://www.salomon.com

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
On the sock subject.......... if it's extended wear a silk liner with a Smartwool type outer is best for me.

205ed1d14618ca22a3471215c818cb82.jpg

For someone that is on there feet all day on hard surfaces I would recommend redwing 953's I have been wearing them for years and love'em. They have a super sole that is a softer rubber and a full leather lace up upper. I usually get 2-3years out of a set before the heals get wore off at a angel to where it throws my back out.

Salomon's for work and everyday wear, also make some good options for hiking and hunting. Around our ranch in texas, I wear Irish Setter Vaprtrek snakeboots - super light and are like wearing tennis shoes almost. I've heard great things about scarpas.

I use to hunt in Danners, never again after buying some Crispi's. I hunt mountainous terrain a stiffer boot makes all the difference! I still wear Danners for work though. I complement both boots with Superfeet Orange

Hunt: https://www.crispius.com/briksdal-gtx Cheaper, lightweight, stiff
Work: https://www.danner.com/vicious-4-5-slate-black-hot-nmt.html No Goretex (I hate Goretex)
Summer work: https://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/product/work-boots/83410-afton-hiker-brn-orng-st If you wear Keens toss them and try these. A lot more durable and actually breathable (not like bull shit Goretex)

x2 on wool socks.

The only con is the price. But they outlast cotton by a country mile so you're really money ahead.

I switched from cotton to wool three years ago and now I'm like a born again Christian sharing Jesus' message.

They make all kinds too. Super short no show to heavy thick over the calf. Most mine mimic my old cotton socks in style. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference at just looking. But there's a HUGE difference in overall wearability and comfort.

Reactions: Jsmith410
Best hunting combo I've found to date and I'v tried a lot of them.

Smartwool Socks
Lowa Tibet GTX boots

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Redwing steel toe loggers for work. They're comfortable enough for a work boot and last forever. Irish setters for spring turkey and early bow season. They're light and comfortable and I walk waaay in where I turkey hunt. Lacrosse alpha burly boots for bow once its cold and for deer/coyote season. 1600gram. Even sitting still in a tree in upstate NY all day in December my feet stay toasty in these boots with a pair of cotton socks and a pair of alpaca.

Socks: wearing two pairs works for many. Thin socks on the skin and whatever conditions require over them.

Russel Moccasin Company, like vaginas on your feet, your gonna pay (and wait) for it though. These are boots and shoes you send back to get resoled, not throw away.

Danner or Redwing with custom insoles for almost everything. A good pair of custom insoles can make or break you on long days.

Oh man
It all depends on a person's feet. Quality construction (I tend to buy Italian made boots for hiking and mountaineering that I wear hunting), materials, and a company known for top end stuff. Most of the brands I see mentioned here I have known guys to blow through in short order with moderate use.

I like Scarpa, La Sportiva, LOWA to name a few. Vasque used to work well for me, haven't looked at them in years due to not having the features I want.

multiple pairs of socks doesn't work at all for me in high active pursuits. I dont walk in flat or moderate terrain and sit, I actively hike and scramble in steep and very steep mountain terrain where other people won't go. I wear one pair of quality made merino socks in a mid weight. I wear Batesville insulated goretex boots if I am walking a bit and sitting around in cold weather (avoid it and sometimes necessary when taking an old fart hunting, that talking about you @1J04 )

Jefe, Love my Hestra gloves and mitts. I carry the mitts in my pack during the winter. Hands get cold and slide them into the wool lined mitts, they are cozy and warm in no time. Had em for ever.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I went to Lowa Renegades for hiking / backpacking /hunting. Not cheap but they’re super light and comfortable.

Reactions: Winchester59
I’ve had good overall luck with Meindl’s. I have the hiker uninsulated boots and a set of taller 400gm ones. They are warmer than you’d think, which I partially credit to the wool/cork insoles. They don’t have the stiffer sole and support of the La Sportiva Karakorum boots I had before, but are much more versatile on the daily and non-rocky hunting/hiking I do on the regular. Best overall boots I’ve ever had.

Smartwool is made in china and owned by a giant clothing/shoe conglomerate.
Point six socks is owned by the people who started Smartwool and were forced to sell by their board of directors. And USA made. Owners are nice folks.
Also Darn Tough is US made and I think replace the socks if you wear em out. Dod at first anyways.

Or buy 4 pairs at Costco for $11.99. Wear as well as Smartwool. China but at least cheap.

I like to support American.

Also check out Voormi wool. CO raised and made. Their hoody is unreal. Gonna try their base layers.

Smartwool is made in china and owned by a giant clothing/shoe conglomerate.

They claim "Made in the USA" on their website.

https://www.smartwool.com/usa-made-socks.html

I've used Smartwool, Wigwam, PS, and now Swiftwick. All a very good. No complaints. I prefer the Wigwam no shows, which seem to be discontinued and I'm really impressed with the Swiftwicks thus far.

I believe all these are Made in the USA. Let me know if I'm wrong.

They may have brought them back. I had been told by a guy who had been a Smartwool Rep (He repped a lot of companies) shortly after the sale to Timberland they moved it to China.

Perhaps they made some here, some there, or I am just plain wrong. I am not wrong as much as my ex-wife thinks and it is possible......

Thanks for the correction

Danner boots have been my favorite for a long time.
The pair of Danner Acadia I have are my favorite all around footwear and are just about due to be sent back for resole.
May have to get another pair to have before I consider sending them in though.

Redrooster527
I wear boots 7 days a week and I average 5 miles a day at work.
I bought a pair of Fanners after hearing nothing but praise about them
They ran $235 and the soles got all tore up crossing rocks on my first hunt with them. They were not able to be resoled as they were a glued on sole.
I posted this and naturally the Danner fan club said I bought the wrong boots.
Not being a quitter I bought a second pair at $425 that were able to be rebuilt.
The first time I put them on the strap in the back that helps you pull them on snapped. After switching to very lightweight socks I finally got my feet past the ridiculously tight tongue webbing only to notice they have a larger than normal toe area.
They took longer to break in than any boot I have ever used and on the first dewy morning my feet were very wet very quickly. I used sno-seal mink oil and boot oil on them which didn't help much. At one year the vibram soles wore out so I sent them in for repair. Danner needed to replace all the stitching as it was falling apart and the cost was roughly $190 and 2 months time.
They are now almost 2 years old and the stitching is falling out again.
For $620 and only two years of use I won't be buying a 3rd pair.
I am going back to wesco boots which last about 10 years and can be resoled locally for $75.
I have never used any of the cloth type boots like goretex but they are much lighter in weight if that is important to you.

Anyone wear Matterhorn boots? Just ordered a pair of their 10" Waterproof UL to try out for work. I've read a lot of good about them but haven't been able to find any local to try on.

For everyday wear, danner pronghorn or similar. If you don't have wide feet, also recommend lowa. Get a custom Arch support for the flat feet...I have same issue. For hunting, Crispi all the way. Incredible ankle support, comfortable and will last a long time. Check out rockslide.com for reviews

Reactions: bullseye13
For work and every day im in my Crispi's, if it involves any rough terrain or pack work I'm in my kenetrek's. What ever you buy should feel comfy right away. Im too old to go through a "break in period".

Danner for lace ups, LaCrosse for pull on. I've also had really good luck with a pair of Cabela's boots but they may have changed, the pair I have is 17 years old.

I have used salomon boots and they COOK my feet in ANY weather. I have switched to Meindls but I have really wide size 13 feet and cant get half of their shoe sizes in that configuration. I love the Meindl Softline TOP boots but they are just too small for my feet. Anyone know of a boot like these? They are leather with goretex lining and a great sole that is like a more rigid version of the Salomon 4D sole.

Attachments

• 3099-47.jpg
    3099-47.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 28
Another Lowa Renegade fan here, but Kenetrek Orthopedic boots just arrived & they feel great w/o my inserts, although don't have any time in them yet.

Reactions: HogsLife