• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Better Option Leica Geivid B W/ kestrel AB & pda or Gunwerks G7 BR2 all in one unit?

wyolonghunter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2013
Sheridan, Wyoming
I have another question to ask. I am stepping up my game equipment wise and wanted to ask for some input, For shots out to say 1400 yds. I currently use Swarovski EL Range, Kestrel NV 4500, and Applied Ballistics with a PDA. I have been reading forums and reviews and the new Leica Geovid B ranging binoculars sound pretty good. Is the G7 BR2 a good or even better option compared to the 3 piece rig? I haven't found a real good review of the Gunwerks G7 unit for true reliable distance. There was a forum post on the hide that said "the g7 was going to be put through the ringer by a sniper team" but I haven't seen a follow-up review? Thanks in advance for your input!

wyolonghunter

I have a G7 and I really like it! Everything is very fast and you can see your temp, BP, angle, and all your FV wind holds very quickly after getting the range. The only thing I wish it had smaller beam divergence, but it hasn't been an issue yet!

What distance is it always reliable to? That is my question, it sounds like the new Leica is good to fairly long range consistently. Will it range deer and elk at 1200 every time? and is the ballistic solver as accurate as Kestrel/Applied Ballistics at longer ranges?
thanks,

Doug

When it reads the range it's dead on, no doubt. It matches perfectly to JBM, the temperture and pressure is also extremely accurate. Like I said if it reads the range your GTG.

The reason I was thinking about getting a vectronix, is because of it's power. It's a very nice range finder don't get me wrong, they sell for $1600 themselfs. I can range steel and trees and brushed reliable to 1600 yards. Where I shoot I always test it on the black cows, and it will reliably hit them multiple times to 900-1000 yards in bright sun conditions (90F). I'm just afraid that if I take it hunting in the snow or rain how it would do, I havnt ever had that problem yet but it's something to consider. I like the near and far modes, the problem is is that it isn't as powerful in this modes as it is in standard. I like how it is 7X, not 5X, it is also very clear so there's no worries about not being able to hit the target with the beam. I like it, I can grab one thing and have a range finder, ballistic computer, and weather station (like kesrel) all in one rugged waterproof unit. If you have the money I would say go for it, unless you need the capabilities to range game at further than 1000-1000 yards. Hope that helps!

Yeah me to, I just didn't like how you had to program the device in the computer! I also don't think it's as user friendly, does the lieca show wind corrections?

TAG for later. Im curious why a LRF(G7) with so many built in tools hasn't been thoroughly tested inside and out here yet. Seems to be a highly capable unit from what little info I can find on it. Someone tried to start a group buy on it but it fell through. Would love to see a side by side test G7 vs. Leica HD-B!

Yeah I don't get it either. By the time other systems get there range I have range, angle, drop in MOA, and wind corrections. Super fast, there's nothing faster I think

Anyone else do any testing of the newer G7's? I have been pondering getting one but have been reluctant in doing so until I see what the general consensus is about them. They look really interesting and if that newer one is ranging as far as my Terrapin I'd even consider selling that to fun a G7. Well I might not get that crazy, but I am curious if anyone else has a range report on these.

I would think the new Sig Kilo 2400 would be a serious contender in the all in one category but have no first had knowledge. Hoping to find a "deal" on one shortly.

I've been looking at that one as well, but anything I've researched thus far it seems the 2015 Version of the G7 has a few more calculations and features that the SIG doesn't. Definitely curious though as to see what everyone thinks about the SIG.

This is directly from the Gunwerks G7 site:

Differences of note vs SIG Kilo 2400:
  • Output: Angle only (SIG) vs Shoot to range or Angle (G7)
  • Programming: App only programming (SIG) vs Program on device (G7)
  • Tuning: tuned for steel and reflective targets (SIG) vs tuned for hunting targets, and hunting conditions (G7)
  • Beam Divergence and Algorithms: Tuned for use on tripod (SIG) vs tuned for field and handheld use (G7)
  • Laser: Class 3R (SIG) vs Class 1 eyesafe (G7)

Well I just purchased a Gen 2 G7 BR2 from Gunbroker for $1200. I will give it a whirl and see how it does. It will probably be a few days before I can get it out to where I shoot at to give it a true test, but I found loading in my cartridge info was pretty simple. I did 300gr SMK's and 285 AMAX for my 338 LM in about 10 minutes without really even having to dive into the instruction manual. I rough tested it sighting on miscellaneous objects in the neighborhood to 400 yds and the MOA solution was right on for some of the data I have in my log. 1st impressions are pretty damn good at the moment. I'll update when I get to the range and test it out to 1000 yards with SMK's .

Sorry I missed this thread. The best comparison I have seen so far has been the work done by Nick in Brian Litz's book Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Volume II. The order from the ones mentioned in this post are

#6 Sig Kilo 2400
#8 Leica Geovid
#15 Gunwerks G7

Most of the LRFs ahead of the Sig are Vectronix units and Wilcox units, Swaro is just after Leica and the LTI, Kilo 2000 are both ahead of the Gunwerks G7 BR2 in terms of standardized performance.

The article is a really good one that comes up with a standard way to compare laser rangefinders. It gives guys a method to use to compare based on what they will be using the LRF's for. I highly recommend reading it BEFORE purchasing, but I was too late for this thread...

Needless to say, based on the testing done by Nick, the G7 didn't fare too well, only scoring 800 yards on a 20% reflective target of 2.5' x 2.5', and only 900 yards on a 50% reflective target of the same size. In comparison the Leica Geovid scored 1100 yards on a 20% and 1400 on a 50% target.

I think this sort of mimics real life in how many competitors you see running the different systems (Sig 2400 is too new to be seen very often).

I've got a Terrapin that I will be able to compare the G7 with. Curiosity killed the cat with the G7 and I've read some pretty good reviews on it. Getting it for $1200 was the main reason I rolled the dice so we'll see. If it doesn't work for me I'll relist it as they seem to be selling pretty good on both eBay and GB.

Keep in mind that Bryan has a bias as his data is used on the kilo/kestrel unit. I have a G7 and the only thing missing is wind reading which I do via a separate unit (wish I didn't have to) I love the ability to have multiple guns setup and it being able to auto adjust for altitude is a game changer to me.