• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bi-pod height ?

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
What bi-pod height is typical/ most used? Am leaning toward the 6-9in. Harris for prone and bench shooting. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
Eric
Have a 13-23in Harris I bought several yrs. ago that I used to hunt. Good for sitting position or from hill tops. Not so much for the shooting I'm trying to do now. thanks again.

Re: Bi-pod height ?

If you are shooting from a bench, most likely the lower the better. The 6-9" Harris is the shortest Harris. The Atlas has the option of locking the legs at 45degrees forward, so it goes even lower. About 4".

madd0c

I use a 9"-13" swivel leg notched with pod lock for vamint hunting. I rarely shoot off a bench and I am a little thick around the middle and chest. I rarely find that I can use something shorter than 9" due to grass and rocks in the line of sight. I actually shot a groundhog a few hours ago with my AR and had it 1 notch from fully extended and had a whole wedge rear sandbag under my grip just to clear a rise in the field. For bench, or if your not out of shape like me, 6"-9" works great. Whatever you get, make sure it swivels and has the leg notches or get the Atlas that can lock 45 degrees. I'll never go back to the thumbwheel lock non-swivel model Harris after having used my new one for 3 years now
wink.gif

6"-9" for everything unless conditions require something higher. The lower the better. $0.02

Thanks for the replies. Was leaning toward the 6-9, 'cause that is about the height of the bags I stack, at the range, with a rear bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-9 for range and bench use, 9-13 for use in the field.

FYI, I sell the 6-9 over the 9-13 at a ratio of about 20:1

http://www.triadtactical.com/Harris-Bi-pod-6-9-Swivel-Notched-leg.html</div></div>

I hear what you are saying steve, but I don't think you can generalize it that easily. I cannot use anything taller than 6-9 in any situation, so it is mainly dependent on the shooter's posture and size.

The 'L' model is actually about 8.25" as measured from the ground to the botton of the forearm where he atually mount occurs. For me, the 6-9" fits best for bench/prone but I am slim at 6'2", 200# (no belly lifting me up high enough to use the 'L' model).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, 6-9 for range and bench use, 9-13 for use in the field. </div></div>

Me 2 .....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Cordrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, 6-9 for range and bench use, 9-13 for use in the field. </div></div>

Me 2 ..... </div></div>

Yep - same thing.

I use the 9-13 and will purchase my next one at the same height except i will get the notched legs.

Well, took to some Southern engineering and made what I wanted from what I had. Disassembled my 13"-24" Harris, did a little altering, and ended up with about an 8 1/2"-14". Everything functions as it should, and I didn't lose anything in a sale and repurchase. Anyone else ever resort to such tactics?
Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else ever resort to such tactics?
Eric </div></div>

As you age or your internal body plate, or screw count goes up, you'll find shelf gear, lacking more an more. Modifying/building gear to fill your needs, is the very first of three steps, that was taught in schools long ago. Your gear has to work for you, when you start having to overcome your gears short comings, it's a long up hill fight from there.

Show me a guy that mods his gear to him, I'll show you a guy thats in it for go, not show.

"Chrome don't get you home" as we say in scooter circles.

I have 6-9's on my rifles and a 9-13 and sticks in my ruck......

Harris 9"-13", when shooting from elevated position and 9" is not low enough, then I shoot from my pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Chrome don't get you home" as we say in scooter circles.</div></div>
Seems to be more of that around here and everywhere else anymore.

Was in a new G/shop last week picking up parts I had ordered, from a guy I've known for about 15 years that had just left the old shop an move there.
4 guys were pawing an mouthing their ability's over a used 6-7 year old 308 PSS topped with a 6.5x20x40 Leupold that I believe never seen the light of day after being bought new. Being the ass I am, I stated with the standard baiting questions.

I truly believe we are in deep trouble, it's all about show/perception, no matter the venue. Yes, they brought out their 100yd wallet groups to impress everyone. When ask what comps, or where they shoot so I could come watch, I got the look,.... Hell if I was hauling around a 100yd target, shot group in my wallet, would you not believe, I could not shoot that at 1K yds? LOL

Life is grand at times, and I'm so glad my Grandfather taught me the difference between reality an perception.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yes, they brought out their 100yd wallet groups to impress everyone. When ask what comps, or where they shoot so I could come watch, I got the look,....
</div></div>

ROFL, I saw a laminated wallet group last week!!!

Our local forum has a 7-8 page deep "show us your precision rifle thread", yet our local match has the same dozen guys every month.....

Back to bipods, they are like any other tool-and must be selected by the job criteria, not opinion.

Think I will need a 6-9 for prone shooting, to get a bit lower. my mods work ok, but I think to be more comfortable, functional, and lower, the 6-9 it is. Though the re-engineering was a good learning experience. Thanks for all the input.
Eric