• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big 30 or 33 cal for build?

DDoug

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2012
I'm trying to peace to gather a hunting build and something to beat up some steel.
I have a new bighorn sporty action and I'm trying to decided on what cal I should go with. This is what I have so far got a bighorn action,Jewell trigger,apa brake, and stock on order A5.

Calibers I had in mind are
300 win mag
300 rum
338 rum
338 edge

Now with that I think the 300 win would be easily enough done but would the rum's need a extended box and how easily would that be done on the bighorn action. I really like the edge and always wanted a 338 but is it more work than its worth. Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks Doug

You could do one of the Norma mags too (300 or 338). The 300NM is VERY impressive - 230gr bergers @ 2950fps or faster. What's not to like? A lot of shooters say it's the most accurate ELR round out there right now.

I would try the norma but it has too large of a bolt face. I'll have to stick with the standard magnum bolt face for this build.

Thanks Doug

I run a 338 Norma Mag and it seems more accurate then my Lapua Mag. I don't know why nor can I explain why that is, but I like the results. I have no need for a 300 Norma Mag because of the 6.5 SAUM but it does seem like a viable LR and hunting option. As long as you like to roll your own ammo.

Yea I just like the 300 win because it is most common and therefore brought down the price of ammo. This was also just when I was getting into this and I have now sold that gun and just have a 308 win and 338 lapua in those calipers listed.

Never owned a Norma load, but I've read and heard great things on here about them.

30x26 nosler sounds good but sounds like it would work. How easily would it be necked up and is the nosler brass soft?

I would try the norma but it has too large of a bolt face. I'll have to stick with the standard magnum bolt face for this build.

Given this input, I would stick with the 300s and in particular the 300WM even though the Belted case is old-school.

However, given you can get around the std magnum bolt face problem, I would go with 338LM over rum and edge.

30 cal.

A 230 Berger at 300wm speeds is formidable, much less the 300rum.

So, 300rum. Balls deep or go home.

I have to admit to being a 338 edge fan.
I do not shoot factory ammo anymore in any bolt rifles at all anyway.
My most important hunting is elk and at eight hundred yards there is just no substitute for the big 300 grain 338.
If you try with the 230 grain .30 cal you end up spending all most the same money round per round.
I personally think the edge is worth the extended box magazine. Just my .02.

30x26 nosler sounds good but sounds like it would work. How easily would it be necked up and is the nosler brass soft?

No one knows what the brass quality is like because only a handful of people have it. Generally necking cases up is extremely easy. I would probably go to 7mm first and then to .30 and I would use a die with a good expander ball like a Lee or Hornady. It does have a nice sharp shoulder to limit brass stretch and a good capacity which should yield 300 Weatherby velocity if not a pinch more. That puts it about half way between a 300wm and 300RUM for capacity/velocity but makes it so it fits a standard mag box.

I have to admit to being a 338 edge fan.
I do not shoot factory ammo anymore in any bolt rifles at all anyway.
My most important hunting is elk and at eight hundred yards there is just no substitute for the big 300 grain 338.
If you try with the 230 grain .30 cal you end up spending all most the same money round per round.
I personally think the edge is worth the extended box magazine. Just my .02.

For 800yd elk hunting you dont need a Edge. You need to get well past 1000yds to see the benefit of the 338's IMO. A 300RUM will shoot a 230 Berger 3100fps and a Edge shoots 300's 2820fps (at least mine does). The 300RUM is doing 2130fps with 2320lbs of energy at sea level and the 338 Edge is doing 1970fps with 2590lbs of energy. There isn't a whole lot of difference as both bullets will probably exit. The recoil difference in a 13lb rifle is 32ft/lbs for the 300RUM and 39ft/lbs for the Edge. The difference being a brake works better on the 30 caliber so the felt recoil will be even lower with a brake compared to the calculated numbers. Bigger diameter heavier bullets kill better. I know that and have proven it for years killing elk with 375's and 416's but there really isn't a huge difference in a .300 and a .338 IMO. There is a much bigger difference going to 375. The down side to 375's and 416's is the lack of LR bullets suitable for hunting and even more recoil.

Given this input, I would stick with the 300s and in particular the 300WM even though the Belted case is old-school.

.30-06, .308, and hell, bolt actions in general are old school. But that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. It's all about the load when it comes to the .300 WM.

I agree you do not NEED it at 800 and that there is not much difference between a 300 rum and a 338 edge...... That is actually my point. They pretty much cost the same, same length in the magazine issues. The 300 has a speed edge were it is not needed, the 338 has an energy edge if you reach way out and better barrel life.
Recoil: It has bean my experience that slower heavier slugs do not recoil as sharply as lighter faster slugs, May be a personal thing but any of these should be running a good break making recoil a mute point.
My wife can't take the recoil of a 270win but she shoots, enjoys and drives tacks with my edge. So much so that we are unloading her 7mm in favor of another 338.

For 800yd elk hunting you dont need a Edge. You need to get well past 1000yds to see the benefit of the 338's IMO. A 300RUM will shoot a 230 Berger 3100fps and a Edge shoots 300's 2820fps (at least mine does). The 300RUM is doing 2130fps with 2320lbs of energy at sea level and the 338 Edge is doing 1970fps with 2590lbs of energy. There isn't a whole lot of difference as both bullets will probably exit. The recoil difference in a 13lb rifle is 32ft/lbs for the 300RUM and 39ft/lbs for the Edge. The difference being a brake works better on the 30 caliber so the felt recoil will be even lower with a brake compared to the calculated numbers. Bigger diameter heavier bullets kill better. I know that and have proven it for years killing elk with 375's and 416's but there really isn't a huge difference in a .300 and a .338 IMO. There is a much bigger difference going to 375. The down side to 375's and 416's is the lack of LR bullets suitable for hunting and even more recoil.
Idaho ctd...........Just realized who I am talkng to............ knowing what you know about breaks why would recoil even come up as an issue?
:rolleyes: Couldn't help it.

Win mag throated for the 230 Bergers.... Will not cost you an arm and a leg everytime you shoot it and it'll hit 1 mile easily