• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big flaw on the SRS?

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
correct cheekweld on a long range rifle is one of the most important things on a rifle.
how come that the SRS is so popular without adjustment?
considering different scopes. rings, body builds and clothes.

Re: Big flaw on the SRS?

I honestly have no problem getting a good cheek weld even with a 56mm objective scope. I would imagine it's similar to all the McMillan and Manners stocks that don't adjust.

^This, there are tons of stocks from all manufacturers that are not adjustable, somehow people manage to find a way to get a cheekweld on those rifles without crying about design flaw's. I've never had a problem getting a cheekweld on an SRS, there are few that do, I can only assume they have Rocky Dennis cheeks
laugh.gif

If you compare the SRS to a standard rifle you'll notice an important difference. The bolt on the SRS is BELOW your cheek, while on a non adjusting standard McMillan or comparable your cheek weld is even with or below the bolt. This is so you can remove the bolt, which is why to have a higher cheek weld you have to have an adjustable cheek piece not just a taller stock in general. That is also why you see the non-permanent cheek pieces such as stock packs.

While the SRS probably isn't EXACTLY right for everyone like an adjustable stock, it has a head start on standard non-adjustable stocks. The only way to know is to try one yourself! The good news is that since the bolt doesn't need to travel along the top of the stock, if you do need extra height you can just permanently attach a solution.

In addition to the above comments, it's important to point out that the user also has a fair amount of play in terms of the height scope rings (mount) they choose. In the case of the SRS, lower is probably better for most unless their head is like a prize-winning State Fair melon. I'm using a LaRue LT-158 on my Covert, which is a slightly taller mount than I really need, so I found that adding one of Brian Muioi's buttstock covers with the cheek pad made it just about perfect.